Vulcar appears to be based on Volvo, as in GTA V a random pedestrian can sometimes be heard talking on a cell phone about "How safe Vulcars are", which may be a reference to well-known Volvo safety standards. Its high safety standards are alluded to further on the in-game Southernsanandreassuperautos.com website description of the Ingot: "Reputed as the safest car ever made, (...) has been the choice for really terrible drivers for 20 years", alluding to the Volvo 850. The font used in their branding is also similar to that of Volvo. While taking some influence from a Volvo 850, the Ingot is mostly based on Volkswagen and Nissan models. The Warrener, whilst taking some design elements from the Volvo 144, mostly resembles a 1969 Nissan Skyline. Later released models more closely tie in with Volvo models, such as the Nebula Turbo taking its design form the Volvo 242 and Vulcar Fagaloa from the Volvo Amazon wagon.
Vulcar's name appears to be a portmanteau of "vulgar" (meaning gross and inappropriate) and "car". This could be another reference to Volvo, as their name is similar to the word "vulva", the outer part of the female genitalia.
The Fagaloa in Grand Theft Auto Online.
|Fagaloa||Station Wagon||Volvo Amazon Station Wagon||Added in the Southern San Andreas Super Sport Series update for Grand Theft Auto Online.|
The Ingot in Grand Theft Auto V.
|Ingot||Station Wagon||Volkswagen Passat (B4) Variant
The Nebula Turbo in Grand Theft Auto Online.
|Nebula Turbo||Classic rally coupe||Volvo 242 Coupe||Added in the The Diamond Casino & Resort update for Grand Theft Auto Online.|
The Warrener in Grand Theft Auto V.
|Warrener||4-door Sedan||Nissan Skyline GT-R Sedan (KPGC10)
Volvo 144 Sedan
|Added in the I'm Not A Hipster update for Grand Theft Auto V.|
The Warrener HKR in Grand Theft Auto Online.
|Warrener HKR||Ute||Datsun Sunny Pickup||Added in the Los Santos Tuners update for Grand Theft Auto Online.|
Vulcar Racing Division
Vulcar Racing Division (VRD) is the racing and performance division of Vulcar. Their logo can be seen using the Bank Gothic and Arial typefaces. The default wheels on the Nebula Turbo marked "Vulcar Racing" are likely supplied by the division.
- Vulcar is also the name of a fictional volcanic planet located within the Vulcar system of the Mid Rim in Star Wars. Volvo's emblem also boasts a planet symbol, Mars.
- When it was introduced, The Liberator was erroneously listed as a Vulcar vehicle in some pre-race menus, despite being a Vapid vehicle. This error was fixed in subsequent updates.
- In the original Bradygames guide for Grand Theft Auto V, the company's name is misspelled as "Vulcan." This has been corrected in all subsequent guides.
- The Vulcar name badge appears to use the "ITC Conduit" typeface.
- The advert for the Nebula Turbo in the above gallery seems to be a parody of an advert for the Volvo 240 Turbo, citing its 9 second (or 6.8 for the intercooled model) zero to 60 performance.