Vulcar appears to be based on Volvo, as in GTA V a random pedestrian can sometimes be heard talking on a cell phone about "How safe Vulcars are", which may be a reference to well-known Volvo safety standards. Its high safety standards are alluded to further on the in-game Southernsanandreassuperautos.com website: "Reputed as the safest car ever made, (...) has been the choice for really terrible drivers for 20 years", which states that its closest counterpart in age is the Volvo 850. The font used in their branding is also similar to that of Volvo. However, the Ingot is mostly based on a 1988–1993 Volkswagen Passat Variant. The Vulcar Fagaloa is based on the Volvo Amazon wagon. The Warrener, whilst taking some design elements from the Volvo 144, mostly resembles a 1969 Nissan Skyline GT-R, and the Nebula Turbo took it's design form the Volvo 242 GT.
Vulcar's name appears to be a portmanteau of "vulgar" (meaning gross and inappropriate) and "car". This could be another reference to Volvo, as their name is similar to the word "vulva", the outer part of the female genitalia.
|Image||Vehicle||Style||Based On (HD Universe)||Notes|
The Fagaloa in Grand Theft Auto Online.
|Fagaloa||Station Wagon||1962-1969 Volvo Amazon Wagon||Added in the Southern San Andreas Super Sport Series update for Grand Theft Auto Online.|
The Ingot in Grand Theft Auto V.
|Ingot||Station Wagon||Volkswagen Passat (B3)
The Nebula Turbo in Grand Theft Auto Online.
|Nebula Turbo||Classic rally coupe||1974-1982 Volvo 242||Added in the The Diamond Casino & Resort update for Grand Theft Auto Online.|
The Warrener in Grand Theft Auto V.
|Warrener||4-door Sedan||1969 Nissan Skyline GT-R (KPGC10)
1966-1974 Volvo 144
|Added in the I'm Not A Hipster update for Grand Theft Auto V.|
Vulcar Racing Division
Vulcar Racing Division (VRD) is the racing and performance division of Vulcar. Their logo can be seen using the Bank Gothic and Arial typefaces. The default wheels on the Nebula Turbo marked "Vulcar Racing" are likely supplied by the division.
- Vulcar is also the name of a fictional volcanic planet located within the Vulcar system of the Mid Rim in Star Wars. Volvo's emblem also boasts a planet symbol, Mars.
- When it was introduced, The Liberator was erroneously listed as a Vulcar vehicle in some pre-race menus, despite being a Vapid vehicle. This error was fixed in subsequent updates.
- In the original Bradygames guide for Grand Theft Auto V, the company's name is misspelled as "Vulcan." This has been corrected in all subsequent guides.
- This mistake is also present on Rockstar Games Social Club, on the Ingot.
- The Vulcar name badge appears to use the "ITC Conduit" typeface.
- The advert for the Nebula Turbo in the above gallery seems to be a parody of an advert for the Volvo 240 Turbo, citing it's 9 second (or 6.8 for the intercooled model) zero to 60 performance.