The Vercetti Crime Family is a very powerful underworld outfit that is based in and around Vice City. The Vercetti Family is headed by Tommy Vercetti, a renegade Forelli family member who has assumed control of many businesses and property ventures during the events of GTA Vice City, circa 1986. The organization is known to be involved in various illegal enterprises, including extortion, drug dealing and organized crime. Though some might consider the Vercetti Gang a Mafia family, due to being led by a former mafia member, it cannot be a true mafia family because there are members, such as Lance Vance and Ken Rosenberg, who are not Italian. However; it does appear that Tommy structured it to resemble a mafia family.
Tommy Vercetti was originally dispatched by the Forelli family to Vice City to oversee a drug deal funded by Forelli family money; the drug deal was supposed to be the beginning of the Forelli expansion down south towards Vice City. After the deal was ambushed by Diaz's gang members, Vercetti was forced to start over with no money or property and aided only by Ken Rosenberg, a bent lawyer with Forelli connections. He eventually killed the perpetrator of the drug deal attack, Ricardo Diaz, aided by his new friend Lance Vance. Following the killing, he seized many properties and businesses assets in the city, with no assistance from the Forelli family, forming the "Vercetti Crime Family" in the process.
The expansion of the Vercetti's throughout Vice City made Tommy a very rich, powerful, and influential man, infuriating Sonny Forelli, the Don of the Forelli family circa 1986, who was demanding his cut of the profit. Tommy's refusual to give in led the Forelli family to send collectors to Vice City to attempt to cut into the profits of Tommy's businesses. The Forellis' efforts were thwarted, and Sonny Forelli eventually confronts Tommy in person, which leads to a massacre, resulting in the death of many Forelli members, including a recently defected Lance Vance, and Sonny himself in the Vercetti Estate. Following Sonny's death, the Vercetti Crime Family is assumed to have total domination of Vice City.
The Vercetti Crime Family, or at least Tommy Vercetti himself, is presumed to remain in power for an undisclosed time. In The Introduction, the prequel film to GTA San Andreas, Ken Rosenberg, who was also initiated into the Vercetti Gang in 1986, is assumed to have been abandoned by Tommy after Ken is forced into rehabilitation for prolonged cocaine abuse. Following his release, Vercetti no longer takes his calls and their relationship is dissolved. This led to Ken's subsequent assignment as a middleman for the Leones, Forellis and Sindaccos over Caligula's Casino in Las Venturas and then employment as an accountant to rapper Madd Dogg.
Known Territory As Of 1986
- Starfish Island - Vercetti Estate
- Vice Point - Malibu Club
- Vice Point - Stores in North Point Mall
- Ocean Beach - Pole Position
- Prawn Island - InterGlobal Films
- Little Haiti - Kaufman Cabbs
- Little Havana - Print Works
- Little Havana - Cherry Poppers
- Viceport - Sunshine Autos
- Viceport - Boatyard
Known Fronts as of 1986
- Vercetti Estate - Base of operations, Tommy Vercetti's home.
- Boatyard - Business by bought by Tommy Vercetti. Acts as port for entering drug supplies.
- Cherry Popper Ice Cream Factory - Business bought by Tommy Vercetti. Serves as drug distribution central.
- Pole Position Club - Business bought by Tommy Vercetti. Legitimate front.
- Kaufman Cabs - Business bought by Tommy Vercetti. Legitimate front.
- InterGlobal Films - Business bought by Tommy Vercetti. Porn movie studio.
- Vice City Print Works - Business bought by Tommy Vercetti. Counterfeiting central.
- The Malibu Club - Business bought by Tommy Vercetti. Serves as base of operations for a bank heist and probably several massive crime plans.
- The Gash Store - Pays protection money to Tommy Vercetti.
- Vinyl Countdown - Pays protection money to Tommy Vercetti.
- Tarbrush Café - Payed protection to Tommy Vercetti until Tommy has the place blown up.
- Café Robina - Base of operations for The Cubans, one Vercetti's ally gangs.
- Ocean View Hotel - One of Tommy Vercetti's bases.
- The Greasy Chopper - Base of operations for Vice City Bikers, one of Vercetti's ally gangs.
Known Members As of 1986
- Tommy Vercetti - Don of the Vercetti Crime Family
- Lance Vance - Known as Tommy's impulsive Sidekick, possibly Underboss of the Family. Eventually shot dead by Tommy Vercetti.
- Ken Rosenberg - Tommy's Lawyer, Crack addict, possible consigliere. Eventually fired due to drug abuse.
- Kent Paul - Tommy's goofball informer, possibly runs the Malibu Club for Tommy. Eventually quits to produce records in England.
- Phil Cassidy - Works with Tommy in robbing a bank, possible caporegime a.k.a. captain. Eventually quits to run his own gun shop in Liberty City.
- Cam Jones - Depending on weather or not Tommy let him survive, possible associate
- Mike ? - Guy who messes up the wiring to blow up part of the mall, possibly made man
- Mario - Random guy that works at all of Tommy's buissnesses, possibly made man
- Earnest Kelly - Runs the Print Works for Tommy, kind of Tommy's surogate father
- Dwaine - Pothead who co-runs the Boatyard. Eventually quits to work in a car garage at San Fierro
- Jethro - Pothead who co-runs the Boatyard. Eventually quits to work in a car garage at San Fierro
- Avery Carrington - Real Estate guru, tutors Tommy, advisor to the family. Eventually killed by Donald Love and Toni Cipriani in 1998.
- Colonel Juan Garcia Cortez - Helps Tommy get off his feet, possible gun supplier for the Family.
- Steve Scott - Possible Associate, runs the InterGlobal Films studio on Prawn Island for Tommy