Hi and welcome. Yeah, I asked Jr Mime about it on Discord a week or two ago. I was kind of hoping the one Wiki Manager who has had any history of prior involvement with GTA Wiki (Ursuul) might have got the gig, but I guess that's not a pre-requisite. I'll add you to the custom rail components I had removed Jr Mime from. Cheers. Smurfy: illuminate - communicate - spectate 04:01, April 30, 2020 (UTC)
- There's nothing to stop us from swapping wikis, if you have a preference. Which user did you have prior familiarity with? 👑 Emptylord (talk) 04:37, April 30, 2020 (UTC)
- When Jr Mime left, I looked at the list of managers and saw Ursuul was still there. As far as I could tell, he was the only one of the group who has done any editing here (back in 2018) so has some perceived affinity with the subject matter we cover. As I said, I'm sure it's not really a pre-requisite for the position, you are more of an administrative conduit, but in times when we might be wanting to fight for retention of some of our more controversial subject matter (like battling excessive censorship of nudity and "offensive" language), we might feel more comfortable having someone more likely to be on "our side".
- Also, if you are still active in Discord, please join our server. Smurfy: illuminate - communicate - spectate 05:14, April 30, 2020 (UTC)
- I had to look up the name because I'm not familiar - but it would appear that Ursuul is not on the Game team, he's part of the Anime team. Fandom is planning to merge some of the teams in the future, but the specifics are currently not known to me. I'm afraid that while he's not on the same team as me, it will not be possible for him to take over the manager role for GTA. 👑 Emptylord (talk) 07:04, May 2, 2020 (UTC)
Thank you for your edit to the main page it's now easier to use
regards. Owen 15:40, June 23, 2020 (UTC)
- You're welcome. I'm not sure if I inadvertently deleted anything important, however. 👑 Emptylord (talk) 16:59, June 23, 2020 (UTC)
For people not on the Discord or whom prefer this style of discussion, I shall make my case here: your current home page has a lot of core issues. I would like to start with an apology, and I understand any lingering sentiment of "too little, too late". I hope you can appreciate I had the best of intentions.
The homepage and top-navigation are the only things I deliberately changed. Your homepage I changed in my capacity as an editor - your top-navigation I changed because it's currently bugged and the moment that Fandom fix the bug, you're going to lose half your navigation (and they explicitly asked me to update the navigation in advance of the bug being fixed). I'm sorry for not consulting you on the changes I made to the top-navigation - changes do need to be made, however.
Regarding my changes to the homepage - I'm sorry again that I didn't consult anyone. Web design is something I enjoy and I got carried away.
- Your homepage is currently heavily skewed away from being useful to readers. You only have 1 navigation section - with the remaining 8 sections being either for editors or contain external links that take readers away from the wiki. Unless your a new wiki - your homepage shouldn't have so many sections dedicated to editors.
- Your navigation section is broken or badly designed. At the moment, the navigation seems to be drawn at random from one of the available games whenever the page-cache is refreshed. This means that users have the potential to come to the wiki and receive GTA 4 navigation panel - and it'll stay that way until the page is null-edited or the cache is refreshed. I do not know if this randomness is intentional, if it's meant to update more frequently, or whether there's meant to be some sort of tab interface to change the visible game menu - but as it stands it's not good. More than 95% of your traffic is for GTA V or GTA Online - there should always be GTA V and GTA Online navigation on your homepage. You're wasting real-estate pretending that the other games are equally as important. Well-designed navboxes on each game's page should be sufficient for navigating people through old content. (As it happens - mine has been showing me GTA 3 links for the last hour or so.)
A lot of the rage on Discord seems targeted at changes that I didn't (deliberately) make. All I did was updated the top-navigation and remake the homepage, including the creation of new templates for the homepage. None of these changes should have affected navboxes. I would genuinely appreciate being shown where my edits had unintended consequences, or else someone else was making a mess at the same time I was making my edits. 👑 Emptylord (talk) 23:48, June 23, 2020 (UTC)
I discussed this matter with Berth at fandom I explained my position the main page is broken the revision greatly improved the user experience berth also said bureaucrats can protect page at there own discretion I don't think he should have taken the action but he did.Owen 02:44, June 25, 2020 (UTC)