Even though not explicitly confirmed as such in-game, the Union Depository seems to act as the country's central bank, as implied by its name, description as a "super bank", and role as the holder of the national gold reserves. Thus, the bank plays roles similar to those of the actual U.S. Bullion Depository in Fort Knox, Kentucky, as well as the Federal Reserve in Washington, D.C. Its Los Santos branch occupies the 5th tallest building in the city. The bank's logo is an open red padlock. The building is in constant vigilance by guards in the interior and a special LSPD unit. A security guard is always guarding the bank's entrance on Power Street.
The Union Depository tower is not directly based on any building in Los Angeles, although the building's height, initial location and setbacks are most likely based on the Gas Company Tower and its hexagonal footprint is based on the Mellon Bank Center. The building's design is in fact very similar to the rear facade of the 333 Wacker Drive Building in Chicago.
- Unnamed Banker (bank manager)
Events of Grand Theft Auto V
- Franklin and Lamar - Franklin and Lamar drive their two repossessed cars through the car park beneath the bank and get ambushed on the other side by police.
- Surveying the Score - Franklin, Michael and Lester survey the bank.
- The Big Score - Michael, Franklin, Trevor, and Lester rob the bank of around $200 million in gold ingots by one of two ways, depending on the player's approach.
- Obvious - Franklin uses a cutter underground to drill through to the building vault, planting explosives on the vault after drilling. Trevor and one of the selected drivers use a helicopter to fly the stolen gold to Blaine County to a train while under attack by Merryweather Security. Michael and the selected gunman distract the cops by pretending to be attempting to rob the bank above ground.
- Subtle - The crew intercepts two Securicars passing through a tunnel that are on their way to the Depository. There, they take the Securicars and one of the guards, Casey. Stealing the other guards' uniforms and planning on posing as the Gruppe Sechs guards they ambushed, who were on their way to pick up the gold, they successfully trick the bank manager and peacefully get the gold, after which, they make their way to a hiding spot next to Vanilla Unicorn, where they are attacked by Merryweather Security operatives.
Events of Grand Theft Auto Online
- Escape Escort - Two SecuroServ clients break into the Union Depository. Up to 4 GTA Online protagonists must use specialised Ramp Buggies to break out the clients. The building is surrounded by police units and roadblocks, and the lower garage access door is open.
- Planning Work: Vault Code - The player has to steal a Police Maverick, make their way over to the Union Depository, and scan the car park for the bank manager's car.
- The Union Depository Contract - Using a stolen elevator keycard and vault code extorted from the bank manager, the player breaks into the Union Depository and steals a full bag of gold from the vault, before evading LSPD and delivering it to the FIB client.
- The name is an obvious parallel to the Federal Reserve as "Union" could be used as a synonym for "Federal" and "Depository" as a synonym for "Reserve".
- Despite being protected by Gruppe Sech, the security cameras found inside the underground vault are generic security cameras instead of Gruppe Sech branded ones commonly seen throughout San Andreas.