Tuff Gong Radio is one of two reggae-orientated stations in Grand Theft Auto IV, the other being Massive B Soundsystem 96.9, which plays dancehall, a genre of Jamaican music which has its roots in reggae.
Tuff Gong's name and playlist are a tribute to reggae pioneer Bob Marley. This is reflected in the fact that the station's playlist consists solely of music by Bob Marley & The Wailers, as well as Bob Marley's two sons, Stephen and Damian. The station's name and logo comes from the record label founded by Bob Marley & The Wailers in 1970, on which their most prominent work was released, and which authorized the use of their visual identity in the game. The "Tuff Gong" name itself was a nickname of Bob Marley's, which derived from that of Rastafari leader Leonard "The Gong" Howell.
Tuff Gong Radio and Massive B Soundsystem do not appear in Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City, with RamJam FM replacing both stations although in Grand Theft Auto IV: The Complete Edition, it, along with all other GTA IV exclusive radio stations, appears in The Lost and Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony.
Tuff Gong Radio is one of Little Jacob's favourite radio stations, while it is one of Michelle's least favorite. It is also Niko's least favorite at the start of the game, but as he does more friend activities with Little Jacob, he will state that he likes the station. It also appears to be one of Mohammed's favorite radio stations, as it will be playing when the player enters his cab.
Grand Theft Auto IV
- Bob Marley & The Wailers - "Get Up, Stand Up" (1973)
- This is the default station in Roman Bellic's Cavalcade taxis.
- Can be heard in Little Jacob’s Apartment during the Shadow mission cutscene.
- Bob Marley & The Wailers' song "Exodus" is used in the station's jingle.
- In the audio files, Tuff Gong Radio is named "Babylon". This may be a reference to Babylon by Bus, a 1978 live album by Bob Marley & The Wailers.
- Bush Sounds - an early reggae station in GTA London 1969 and GTA London 1961.
- Heavy Heavy Monster Sound - an early reggae and ska station in GTA London 1969 and GTA London 1961.
- K-JAH - a reggae, dub and dancehall station in GTA III and GTA Liberty City Stories.
- K-JAH West - a reggae, dub and dancehall station in GTA San Andreas.
- Massive B Soundsystem 96.9 - a contemporary dancehall station in GTA IV.
- RamJam FM - a reggae and dancehall station in GTA Episodes From Liberty City that plays another song from Damian Marley.
- Ticklah - a dub and reggae instrumentals station in GTA Chinatown Wars.
- Blue Ark - a reggae station in GTA V that plays a song featuring Damian Marley in the enhanced version of the game.