Grand Theft Auto series
- "Let's teach these would-be tough guys what it means to be a tough guy."
- ―Toni Cipriani
Antonio "Toni" Cipriani is a character in the Grand Theft Auto series who appears as a main character in Grand Theft Auto III (set in 2001), and the protagonist of Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (set in 1998). Michael Madsen voices Toni in GTA III, whilst Danny Mastrogiorgio voices him in Liberty City Stories.
Toni is a member of the Leone Crime Family in Liberty City, who was forced to live abroad after killing a made man from a rival Mafia family under orders of his boss, Don Salvatore Leone. He returns four years later and resumes work for the family, eventually wiping out the two rival Mafia families, the Sindaccos and the Forellis, which leaves the Leones as the sole major Mafia family in the city, and earning Salvatore's respect and trust, which leads to his position as a Capo within the family.
He maintains this position three years later, when he employs Claude for several jobs.
Toni is the son of Ma Cipriani, with whom he is often seen arguing due to her constant discontent over him.
- 1 Background
- 2 Personality
- 3 Prominent Appearances in Missions
- 4 Characters murdered by Toni Cipriani
- 5 Crimes Comitted by Toni Cipriani
- 6 Influences
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Navigation
Toni Cipriani was born to Ma Cipriani and an unnamed father, who was a member of one of the city's mafia families. He lived with his Ma in their restaurant. He later became involved in Liberty City's criminal underworld, joining the mafia to follow on his father's footsteps.
Events of GTA Liberty City Stories
In Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, Toni Cipriani assumes the role of the playable character and main protagonist of the game. GTA: Liberty City Stories explores Toni's history and exploits in 1998, three years prior to the events in GTA III.
Toni left Liberty City and decided to lay low abroad after killing a rival made man (presumably Forelli or Sindacco family) under orders from Salvatore Leone. He finally returned to the city in June 1998, ready to continue his life of organized crime. A grateful Salvatore Leone gives Toni jobs, but because he was out of town for so many years, other members of the Leone Family have had the time to move up in the hierarchy. Salvatore was forced to strip Toni out of his rank and give the position to Vincenzo Cilli during his leave of absence. Toni now finds himself as a low-ranking goon that has to once again gain favor with the Don, in order to secure a leadership position in the family. Toni and Vincenzo immediately dislike each other, which end up in Toni killing Vincenzo after his earlier betrayal. Toni works for Salvatore's wife Maria Latore who later on, develops feelings for Toni and has him to do her bidding, and tells him she loves him, but Toni does not feel the same way. However, after learning Toni "has no money", she cuts ties with Toni, reminding him that she is Salvatore's girl and not to hit on her. Toni appeared in the game to be much thinner than his appearance in GTA III. Much of his efforts in achieving his goal of reclaiming his place in the Leone hierarchy include battling two other Mafia families, the Forellis and the Sindaccos via several means, allowing him to be "made" halfway through the storyline after killing the Liberty City mayor, Roger C. Hole. After being made, his mother calls off a hit she had put on her son. Later, Toni works for millionaire and mayor candidate, Donald Love and fights the Forelli's in order to help the Leone's own City Hall while protecting Donald. Donald Love is eventually found to be in league with Salvatore and Toni, which makes him unfit for the office in people's eye. After Miles O'Donovan has been elected mayor, Salvatore Leone is arrested on several crime charges, forcing Toni to pose as a lawyer named Lionel to take jobs from the police station where Salvatore is imprisoned.
Donald Love, in a stressful phone call, says that he has many propositions for him. Upon arriving at the flophouse, Donald Love says that he has plans that will make both Toni and himself rich again and orders Toni to kill real estate businessman, and Love's former mentor, Avery Carrington. Toni and Donald steal Avery's plans and bomb expert 8-Ball is paid to give them explosives in order to blow up Fort Staunton, causing the Forelli Family to lose a lot of influence. Toni is called by a mysterious woman, Toshiko Kasen, and asked to fight the local Yakuza organization. After Toni kills her husband Kazuki, a remorseful Toshiko commits suicide and a panicked Donald Love asks Toni for some help to take him to Francis International Airport as the Colombian Cartel are attacking to steal Avery's plans. Toni gets Love to the airport safely and Love brings with him the corpses of Avery Carrington and Ned Burner.
Salvatore is eventually released from jail, after being escorted to the courthouse by Toni, due to the Sicilian Mafia wanting Salvatore dead. After being released, Toni and Salvatore go to see the mayor, Miles O'Donovan, to get his charges dropped. However, Massimo Torini, a high-ranking member of the Sicilian Mafia, had the mayor kidnapped. Toni and Salvatore chase Torini and rescue the Mayor from Portland Rock, killing Torini in the process.
Events of GTA III
By 2001, Toni has become one of the highest-ranking members of the Leone Family, behind only Salvatore Leone. The police had attempted to connect Toni and Salvatore throughout 2001; however, they fail to link them beyond his mother's restaurant. Salvatore’s son, Joey, introduces the game’s protagonist, Claude, to Toni. Toni hires Claude to attack the Triads (Leone Family enemies), including trying to get protection money from Mr. Wong's Laundromat, destroying some Triad fish vans and the Triad owned fish factory in Callahan Point. Toni also introduces Claude to Salvatore Leone.
In 2001, Toni is still working with his mother and has frequently been seen in his family-run restaurant, where he provides Claude with jobs. The constant insulting from his mother about him not being able to be like his father and failing to meet up to her expectations had forced him to call the local chat radio station, Chatterbox FM, and complain about his mother's constant berating. His standing in the Leone Family following Salvatore Leone's assassination is unknown.
Toni is in some ways similar to Tommy Vercetti, and his behavior in scenes of the game suggest that he is very loyal, but very easy to irritate (of course, this may be in part of that he is surrounded by such strange people, for instance, Maria Latore, Joseph Daniel O'Toole and Donald Love). When enraged, Toni is capable of practicing extremely violent acts (like using an axe to kill Giovanni Casa and cut his body into small pieces), but he also seems to feel remorseful at times (like when he goes to the Cathedral to make a confession). However, like many other GTA protagonists, he too shows very little hesitation in killing anyone standing in his way and occasionally mocks them. Toni also believes that people should show proper respect to their parents, as seen in the mission Hot Wheels, when he berates Vincenzo Cilli for receiving oral sex from a prostitute named Cheryl while talking to his mother, and how he desperately tries to please his mother. Like Claude, he will give drivers the finger if a vehicle stands in front of him and tries to mow him down.
Toni seems to be very loyal to his bosses (for example, he saves Salvatore from being crushed in a car which the Sindaccos used to kidnap Salvatore). However, after completing the storyline mission "The Sicilian Gambit", during the ending cutscene, Toni seems to be a little troubled and hesitant for not being paid by Salvatore the couple of million dollars he promised.
In GTA: Liberty City Stories, Toni is significantly thinner than his depiction in GTA III; this is commented or criticized by his mother, Maria and Salvatore Leone, with his mother and Salvatore in particular commenting about him not being fed well. By GTA III, Toni is fatter and has aged considerably in the three years that have passed.
In GTA: Liberty City Stories, circa 1998, Toni has a burly build and light skin. He has brown eyes and short, black hair. He has a permanent 5 O'Clock shadow, and a small amount of chest hair, which can be seen when using certain outfits.
Tony appears to be quite tall, and he is considerably taller than Salvatore and JD O'Toole.
As Liberty City Stories allows the player to change clothes, Toni can wear up to 16 different outfits, ranging from casuals to mascot costumes to luxury suits. Toni's regular outfit is a dark brown jacket, tan pants, and black shoes.
In GTA III, circa 2001, Toni's appearance has changed drastically; he has lighter brown hair with grey stripes and a much fatter and heavier build. Toni also wears a purple coat and dark tan dress pants.
Prominent Appearances in Missions
- Grand Theft Auto III
- Cipriani's Chauffeur
- Taking Out the Laundry (Boss)
- The Pick-Up (Voice/Boss)
- Salvatore's Called a Meeting (Boss)
- Triads and Tribulations (Voice/Boss)
- Blow Fish (Boss)
- Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
Characters murdered by Toni Cipriani
- Unnamed made man - Killed in 1994 under orders of Salvatore Leone, resulting in Toni going into hiding for four years.
- Dan Sucho - Killed to show his mother that Toni is better than him.
- Cedric Fotheringay - Killed for beating up Maria.
- Giovanni Casa - Killed and butchered for stopping to pay protection money to Ma, later delivering his chopped remains to his own deli.
- Vincenzo Cilli - Killed for setting Toni up in the beginning and for trying to kill him.
- Roger C. Hole - Killed under orders of Salvatore Leone for trying to accuse him for all the crimes in the city.
- Faith W. - Killed under orders of Ned Burner for refusing to give an interview to the Liberty Liberty Tree Newspaper.
- Black Lightman - Killed under orders of Ned Burner for refusing to give an interview to the Liberty Tree Newspaper.
- DB-P - Killed under orders of Ned Burner for refusing to give an interview to the Liberty Tree Newspaper.
- Paulie Sindacco - Killed under orders of Salvatore Leone for getting him in jail.
- Avery Carrington - Killed under orders of Donald Love to get his construction plans.
- Ned Burner - Killed under orders of Donald Love for exposing the death of Avery Carrington at their hands.
- Kazuki Kasen - Killed for trying to kill Toni and Toshiko Kasen.
- Massimo Torini - Killed for kidnapping Miles O'Donovan and trying to take over Liberty City, as well as attempting to ruin Leone Family.
Crimes Comitted by Toni Cipriani
This is a list of crimes comitted by Toni in both GTA: Liberty City Stories and GTA III, as well as crimes that the player may commit while playing as Toni.
- Killing a made man from a rival Mafia family.
- Forcing a reluctant drug dealer to do deals again.
- Killing three members of the Sindacco Family in retaliation for killing the dealer.
- Killing several members of the Sindacco Family to free JD O'Toole from under their control so that he could come work for the Leone Family, and stealing their car for JD.
- Saving three of Vincenzo Cilli's men from the LCPD after a failed raid on a petrol station.
- Picking a car full of drugs for Vincenzo, escaping from the LCPD, and destroying the car in retaliation to Vincenzo's betrayal.
- Driving JD to collect the money he owes to him from prostitutes, and killing some of their clients that become hostile.
- Driving Salvatore Leone away from Paulie's Revue Bar before it gets raided by the LCPD.
- Killing the Sindaccos preparing to attack the Leone Family casino in Saint Mark's with cars rigged with bombs.
- The destruction of The 'Dolls' House.
- Killing several Triads to prove himself to his mother.
- Winning an illegal street race against Dan Sucho, and killing him afterwards to prove his worth.
- Killing Giovanni Casa and selling his remains, disguised as meat for cooking.
- Killing the hitmen sent after him by his mother.
- Attempting to bribe Jane Hopper so that she would allow Salvatore to use the docks (and, optionally, killing her guards when they ambush him).
- Dropping prostitutes at the docks to win the workers on Salvatore's side.
- Scaring three union bosses so that they would allow Salvatore to use the docks.
- Killing Jane Hopper's chauffeur, stealing his uniform to pose as him, and scaring Hopper by driving dangerously so that she would finally allow Salvatore to use the docks.
- Being Maria Latore's getaway driver after she steals from several shops.
- Taking Maria to meet her drug dealer, and killing the Sindaccos who kidnap her.
- Taking part in an illegal bike race.
- Killing Cedric "Wayne" Fotheringay for beating Maria.
- Overseeing a drug deal with Miguel and the Colombian Cartel, before escaping from the LCPD with the car full of drugs.
- Killing the Sindaccos who kidnapped Salvatore.
- Helping Salvatore kill all the Sindaccos in the Red Light District.
- Following Masimo Torini and witnessing his meetings with the Diablos and the Triads.
- Disposing of JD O'Toole's body.
- Killing Vincenzo Cilli and all his henchmen who attempted to murder him.
- Helping the Leones kill the Diablos attacking their turf in Hepburn Heights and the Red Light District.
- Killing several Triads who attempted to destroy Salvatore's money stash at a warehouse.
- Helping Salvatore escape when the mayor threatens to make him responsible for all the problems happening in Liberty City.
- Killing mayor Roger C. Hole.
- Stealing a hearse with a body on its way to the pathology labs for Donald Love.
- Killing at least two van drivers to prevent them from getting anymore marginal voting areas for Miles O'Donovan.
- Killing Miles O'Donovan's campaigners.
- Destroying the ballots factory guarded by the Forelli Family.
- Killing several Forelli hitmen who attempted to assassinate Donald Love.
- Attempting to falsify the votes for the mayoral election in Love's favour.
- Killing several men who attempt to kill him, Salvatore and mayor Hole's assistant.
- Killing several members of the Forelli Family who ambushed Salvatore.
- Remote controlling Paulie Sindacco's car into killing several Forellis.
- Killing a man who was going to inform Franco Forelli that the Sicilian Mafia is behind the war between the three Mafia families.
- Killing numerous Sindaccos with help from Leon McAffrey.
- Luring several Forellis into a trap where they are killed by him and the Yardies.
- Killing 20 Forellis in Belleville Park with a Katana sword.
- Killing numerous Sindaccos attempting to reclaim their turf in Northwood from the Yardies.
- Destroying several Forelli trucks transporting weapons.
- Killing an informant and retrieving his files for Ned Burner before they fall into the hands of the FBI.
- Killing several gang members and stealing their loot for Ned Burner.
- Stealing a firetruck and using it to cause mayhem in the streets.
- Killing DB-P, Black Lightman, and Faith W.
- Stealing a van with evidence linking Donald Love to the Leone Family, and killing Miles O'Donovan's men guarding it.
- Helping the Southside Hoods kill numerous Forellis and take over Wachita Gardens.
- Killing Paulie Sindacco.
- Destroying the Yakuza's weapon depot and tank and killing several Yakuza members guarding them.
- Killing Avery Carrington and his Colombian Cartel guards in order to steal his architectural plans of developing Fort Stauton for Donald Love.
- Killing Ned Burner and stealing his evidence of him and Love killing Carrington.
- Stealing two hearses with the bodies of Avery Carrington and Ned Burner for Love.
- Stealing an Yakuza weapon shipment for Toshiko Kasen and Phil Cassidy.
- Destroying several vans transporting money from Kazuki Kasen's casino.
- Killing several Forellis who attacked him and Toshiko.
- Killing Kazuki Kasen and his guards.
- The destruction of Fort Staunton.
- Killing numerous members of the Colombian Cartel attacking Donald Love's mansion.
- Killing several members of the Sicilian Mafia attempting to kill Salvatore on his way to court to stand trial.
- Killing Masimo Torini and his men on Portalnd Rock alongside Salvatore in order to rescue mayor Miles O'Donovan.
- Robbing a laundry under the Triads' protection.
- Hiring Claude to destroy three laundry vans.
- Hiring Claude to steal a briefcase from the Triads.
- Hiring Claude to kill three Triad warlords.
- Hiring Claude to destroy the Triads' fishing factory with a truck rigged with a bomb.
Other crimes (player-determinant)
- Grand Theft Auto
- Mass Homicide
- Violating Gun Control laws
- Dangerous Driving
- Toni Cipriani's name, character, and appearance are influenced from characters portrayed by actor Paul Sorvino. The GTA III rendition of Toni Cipriani is heavily based on Sorvino's character Paulie Cicero from the film Goodfellas, a huge inspiration on both games Cipriani appears in. Furthermore, Toni Cipriani's name comes directly from a character Sorvino played named Tony "Guy" Cipriani from the 1997 film Money Talks.
- Toni Cipriani is likely a homage to Tony Soprano, the main character from The Sopranos. Aside from their names, both characters also share ongoing problems with their mothers, who also ordered hits on them. They also both would later go on to have weight problems, and were feuding with caporegimes in their respective crime families (Corrado 'Junior' Soprano and Vincenzo Cilli respectively). Moreover, Toni can wear a particular outfit that seems to be inspired by the dress style of Tony Soprano.
- Toni, along with Salvatore Leone, Luigi Goterelli, Maria Latore, 8-Ball, and Joey Leone (in that order) appear on posters for the film Badfellas in GTA III. This is a reference to the film Goodfellas, which Frank Vincent (Salvatore Leone's voice actor) and Ray Liotta (Tommy Vercetti's voice actor) starred in. The posters can be found at Luigi's Sex Club 7 in the Red Light District of Portland Island, Liberty City.
- Toni is the only protagonist in the series to have a character artwork in a game he's not the protagonist in (with GTA III being the game).
- Toni was the first protagonist to appear in another game before his own.
- Toni was the first protagonist to give missions to another protagonist (namely, Claude). He is followed by Trevor Philips, who gives missions to the GTA Online Protagonist in Grand Theft Auto Online.
- Toni may have been a loan shark in the past, as he reminds JD O'Toole of the money he owes in Snuff and Giovanni Casa tells Toni that he will pay him "the money I owe" in Dead Meat.
- In A Date With Death, Toni implies that he dislikes the opera. Ironically, during Cipriani's Chauffeur, the radio in the Mafia Sentinel is turned on by default to Double Clef FM.
- Toni appears in a total of 77 storyline missions, the third-highest number of any protagonist (behind Carl Johnson and Niko Bellic, who appear in 104 and 98 missions respectively).
- Toni said his own name as "Toni Ki-priani" in the mission The Pick-Up in GTA III instead of the usual "Toni Si-priani". This appears to be an uncorrected mistake by the voice actor, Michael Madsen.
- One of Toni's random lines when targeting someone is "It's my constitutional right, you moron!", which is similar to CJ's line "It's my constitutional right, bitch!" in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. In addition, Toni and CJ both share the line "This is going to a good cause: Me!" when picking up money from deceased NPCs.
- His original name was Tony Facile.
- He is the only Protagonist who is not enemies with the main antagonist as Massimo Torini is instead enemies with Salvatore Leone who serves as Toni's Deuteragonist.
- An Easter egg in Grand Theft Auto IV suggests that Toni, along with the other 3D Universe Protagonists, are dead. However, this is not considered canon in the 3D Universe.