|This article or section refers to "enhanced version" content in the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC renditions of Grand Theft Auto V and/or Grand Theft Auto Online, that is absent on the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 versions.|
For a complete list of the features of the "enhanced" version of Grand Theft Auto V, please see here.
- "Greetings New User. The wonders of modern technology have gifted us a small oasis in this desert of our surveillance state, this brief respite from the x-ray gaze of civil servants, spooks and spouses. So, let's use it to make as much moula as we can."
- — Long John Teabag
The Open Road is depicted as an underground network server, the MC clubhouse's President is able to purchase and operate illicit businesses.
The network server is presumably operated by Lester Crest using the pseudonym of "Long John Teabag", who greets the player and explains the available businesses and the conditions to operate them.
In order to get access, the player must first purchase any of the available clubhouses and once done, there is a laptop available which has The Open Road logo on it.
- "Should you like, I can help you produce, market, and sell... Quality counterfeit documents... Unimpeachable fake cash... Dank-ass marijuana... Moreish methamphetamine... Or your realtor's favorite, cocaine.
With my vast knowledge and your time, effort and bank, we'll be unstoppable. Please be advised, only one business of each type can be owned, resupplies and sales are your responsibility, administrative fees will be charged for every transaction, and your business may draw unwanted attention from law enforcement or other malefactors. But that's half the fun. Message me for further details. Your friend, "
- — Long John Teabag
The player is introduced to the network by "Long John Teabag" when first logging in on the clubhouse laptop.
Five different types of business are available to purchase, with four location options to pick from for each type.
- Document Forgery Office
- Counterfeit Cash Factory
- Weed Farm
- Methamphetamine Lab
- Cocaine Lockup
Cross-"border" deliveries from the city to the countryside or vice versa will attract a 50% premium on the price achieved at the time of sale.
|Document Forgery Office||Grapeseed||Rural||Dead-end lot in a dead-end corner of SA, perfect setup for doc work. Surrounded by meth labs and rug-n-tug joints, so the cops won’t give a shit about you.||$650,000|
|Weed Farm||San Chianski Mountain Range||Rural||If the locals don’t skin you, this shack will sit nicely under the radar for years to come. Room for a decent crop, and already hot and wet as hell, so you’ll save big on the humidifier bill.||$715,000|
|Document Forgery Office||Paleto Bay||Rural||Cozy little workshop in the land that cops forgot. Perfect place to work on your copypaste in peace and quiet. Make it here, and the northern market is yours.||$732,000|
|Weed Farm||Mount Chiliad||Rural||Budding herb shed tucked just under nowheres asshole. Quiet, good humidity, loads of paperless workers nearby.||$805,200|
|Counterfeit Cash Factory||Grand Senora Desert||Rural||Every idiot knows the economy is already on the brink and with the right leadership this hellhole could print enough cold cash to sink it in a few months. Bring it on.||$845,000|
|Methamphetamine Lab||Grand Senora Desert||Rural||Big old shack that’s found its calling as a low-profile, high-ceiling lab. You’re a ways from the nearest pharmacy if you run out supplies, so stock up.||$910,000|
|Counterfeit Cash Factory||Paleto Bay||Rural||Still registered as a utilities station. If you wanna print bills, then cover doesn’t get better than this. Thick walls, so no one will hear the driers or the shots.||$951,600|
|Cocaine Lockup||Alamo Sea||Rural||Fort just over the hill, but screw it, this is prime real estate for an up and coming producer! Doesn’t look like much, but that’s a good thing, right? Lots of trade from passing grunts.||$975,000|
|Document Forgery Office||Elysian Island||City||Old warehouse near the docks, with big potential for scratching out a buttload of IDs. Be a 1 stop shop for the illegals dashing out of every second shipping container.||$975,000|
|Methamphetamine Lab||Paleto Bay||Rural||Know how much ice pays off a liberal arts degree? This places turnover should have you covered in just a couple years. Big quiet factory. Feds have forgotten it exists.||$1,024,800|
|Weed Farm||Elysian Island||City||Easy in, easy out, no customs, plenty of space. Aspiring growers dream. Good dockland access and cops think it's just a sweatshop ROFL so go nuts.||$1,072,500|
|Cocaine Lockup||Paleto Bay||Rural||Old storage outfit perfect for the rookie or the old hand. Amenities, battery recycling, gun store and not much else nearby||$1,098,000|
|Document Forgery Office||Textile City||City||Tight little setup dug into the side of textile city, great central location, permanent scaffolding out front to keep things low key.||$1,235,000|
|Counterfeit Cash Factory||Cypress Flats||City||Old depot in a neighborhood where no ones stupid enough to ask questions. Light prep work needed and you'll be doing some serious quantitative easing in no time||$1,267,500|
|Weed Farm||Downtown Vinewood||City||Last grower got shot in the neck just inside the front door so selling this on at cost, tidy little outfit for the ambitious horticulturalist, ideal for a startup.||$1,358,500|
|Methamphetamine Lab||Terminal||City||Slick new warehouse. This place has got superlab written all over it. You'll only have merchant seaman and sex traffickers for company but they're your biggest customers anyway.||$1,365,000|
|Cocaine Lockup||Elysian Island||City||Forget your hipster dreams of a tarp-covered shack in the South American jungle. This is the real deal. Large industrial premises for a chemist with some ambition.||$1,462,500|
|Counterfeit Cash Factory||Vespucci Canals||City||Tidy beachside lockup for a boutique printer. All the hippies around here would think a crayon sketch of a dollar bill is legit, so what are you waiting for?||$1,605,000|
|Methamphetamine Lab||El Burro Heights||City||Old derelict perfect for cooking shit, neighbors are half dead with the smog so no ones going to notice a little extra toxicity lol.||$1,729,000|
|Cocaine Lockup||Morningwood||City||Nice little dive in the fancy part of town. Great start for a classy powder shop. Pissing distance from all your dealers and their clients.||$1,852,500|
Each business will require an initial set-up mission specific to the type of business purchased.
- Document Forgery Office
- picking up a bag of stolen id's
- Counterfeit Cash Factory
- taking an armoured truck with cash
- Weed Farm
- stealing a van with crates of weed
- Methamphetamine Lab
- stealing a truck with lab equipment
- Cocaine Lockup
- taking a muscle car with cocaine supplies
Once set-up is complete, the player can progress to managing the business using a laptop located within each business building.
The laptop in the local business site also gives the player access to upgrade options to improve business profitability.
|Equipment Upgrade||Purchase this upgrade to install higher quality equipment. This will speed up your production rate, improve the overall value of your product and allow your supplies to stretch further.|
|Staff Upgrade||Purchase this upgrade to hire more staff. This will speed up your production rate and improve the overall value of your product.|
|Security Upgrade||Purchase this upgrade to install security personnel and surveillance equipment. This will reduce the likelihood of being raided by the cops or attacked by enemies.|
Each business needs supplies to run, if it runs out production stops.
A supply level meter is visible on The Open Road admin tools page on the laptop. 5 units make up a full supply bar.
Players can buy supplies for $15,000 per unit. A total of $75,000 will be needed to buy supplies to fill a supply bar from empty.
The player can also steal their supplies. Stealing takes longer but usually works out cheaper unless the player is playing alone.
Steal Supplies Mission Types
There are a variety of supply stealing missions, ranging from a bar fight to high-jacking another organization's supply drop. However, because all the missions were created with teams of people in mind, each person can only carry one unit worth of supplies on each mission.
- Bar Fight
- Supplies from Armored Trucks
- Meeting a contact for identities to forge with (Document Forgery)
- Steal Bikes with supplies (Counterfeit Cash exclusive)
- Stealing from Vagos (Meth Lab exclusive)
- Disrupting a Humane Labs operation for their supply-holding vans
- Looking for the correct crates with supplies in them, where stealth is possible
The gangs that can be encountered are:
- The Lost MC
- Marabunta Grande
- Madrazo Cartel
- The Professionals
- Carson Avenue Families
- Los Santos Triads
Once the supplies are in the business, it can start producing. The player can check progress of the stock level on hand in each owned business at its location, or on the laptop in the clubhouse. Production rates vary between business types, but can be improved through installing upgrades. Each business is able to hold stock levels of varying amounts.
Just like with CEO warehouses, MC businesses are susceptible to being raided by enemies. From time to time the player will have to defend the production facilities.
Players will only have one spare life against the mission's enemies, and depending on the mission type, failure might mean supply and production will need to start from scratch.
Protection Mission Types
There are several types of raids that will need to be defended:
- Cop Raid - FIB agents protected by a police helicopter are about to raid the business. Once they are fought off, players will need to recover a police truck packed with either product, or employees, and deliver it back to the business site. May happen to all 5 types of businesses.
- Traitor - There's a rat in the organization, and he's about to testify, and he's being held in a motel with police protection. Players must eliminate him, pick up the testimony and deliver it back to the business. May happen to Cocaine Lockup only.
- Stolen Product - A rival organization stole product and are in the middle of a drug deal to unload it. Get there before there's nothing left and deliver recovered product back to the business. May happen to Document Forgery Office, Weed Farm, Counterfeit Cash Factory and Methamphetamine Lab.
- Gang Raid - A rival motorcycle gang is on the process of stealing your product. On arrival, defend the business by killing the attackers and eliminating the following waves of enemies. May happen to the Weed Farm.
Players can start a sale mission from the local laptop whenever there is stock on hand to sell. Goods can be sold within the local region, or remotely for bigger profit.
Each sale mission has a maximum time limit of 30 minutes, and any product delivered to its destination in that time is considered sold, but any product that gets destroyed, or doesn't reach its destination in time, is lost. If the player abandons a mission before completion, they will be penalized by a small removal of product from the warehouse.
Sale Mission Types
- Bags - Deliver bags (up to 2) of product to a specified destination. Document Forgery gives four delivery points per bag, and these points are shared across the entire MC. Counterfeit Cash has the player or players deliver bags to more than one point, and the next point won't be revealed until all bags have reached it. Any vehicle can be used with them.
- Bikes - Deliver each Bagger (up to 4) to a truck parked at a specified destination.
- Bike Delivery - Use provided bike to deliver a bunch of packages to their recipients.
- Bike Setup - Ride the provided bike to provided destination, upon arrival evade police and deliver the bike to a secondary drop location (available to Cocaine Lockup only).
- Boats - Go to specified location, there will be Dinghys (up to 3), each carrying 5 packages, use them to deliver packages to designated checkpoints, with a bonus for quick delivery.
- Courier Delivery - Use provided Post-OP Boxvilles (up to 3), each carrying 5 packages, to deliver packages to their recipients throughout the map.
- Helicopters - Go to specified location, there will be Buzzards (up to 3), each carrying 5 packages, use them to perform airdrops throughout the map.
- Sea Planes - Go to specified location, there will be Dodos (up to 3), each carrying 5 packages, use them to to perform airdrops throughout the map.
- Semi-truck - Deliver provided Pounder truck to specified destination. Weed Farm has a special variant of this mission, where you have to drive the truck evading enemies and cops, while a guy on the passenger's seat is smoking weed. The effects are similar to taking a hit from a bong in one of your apartments, only several times stronger. Low quantities of product (One vehicle) will replace the Pounder with a Ratloader, while medium quantities will replace the Pounder with a Burrito.
- Trash Trucks - Use provided Trashmasters (up to 3), each carrying 5 packages, to deliver trash bags with product to specified destinations throughout the map.
Each business produces product at a different rate:
- Document Forgery Office (Holds 60 Boxes)
- 1 box of $1,000 every 5 minutes with no upgrades.
- 1 box of $1,200 every 4 minutes with equipment upgrade.
- 1 box of $1,400 every 3 minutes with both equip and staff upgrade.
- Weed Farm (Max of 80 Bundles)
- 1 bundle of $1,500 every 6 minutes with no upgrades.
- 1 bundle of $1,800 every 5 minutes with equipment upgrade.
- 1 bundle of $2,100 every 4 minutes with equip and staff upgrade.
- Counterfeit Cash Factory (Holds 40 Stacks of Money)
- 1 stack of $3,500 every 12 minutes with no upgrades.
- 1 stack of $4,200 every 10 minutes with equipment upgrade.
- 1 stack of $4,900 every 8 minutes with equip and staff upgrade.
- Methamphetamine Lab (Holds max of 20 Bins)
- 1 bin of $8,500 every 30 minutes with no upgrades.
- 1 bin of $10,000 every 24 minutes with equipment upgrade.
- 1 bin of $11,900 every 18 minutes with equip and staff upgrade.
- Cocaine Lockup (Holds max of 10 Stacks)
- 1 stack of $20,000 every 50 minutes with no upgrades.
- 1 stack of $24,000 every 40 minutes with equipment upgrade.
- 1 stack of $28,000 every 30 minutes with equip and staff upgrade.
|Sale Prices||Close Sale||Far Sale||Product From Full Supply|
|Full||Per Piece||Full||Per Piece||Worth(Close)||Worth(Far)||Pieces|
|Profits After Costs||Close Sale||Far Sale||Supply Cost||Efficiency|
|Full||Per Piece||Full||Per Piece||Full||Per Piece||% Profits|
|Profits Per Hour||Close Sale||Far Sale||Time To Produce|
|Full||Per Piece||Full||Per Piece||Full||Per Piece|
- The name of the network is a parody of the Darknet website Silk Road, an online black market.
- In addition to this, its operator, Long John Teabag, who uses a pirate related alias and the Jolly Roger as his phone contact image, is a parody of the former Silk Road owner Ross William Ulbricht, aka Dread Pirate Roberts.
- The name is also a reference to the anonymity network Tor (The Onion Router), since the acronym of The Open Road is also "TOR".