The Kingdom of Thailand is a country at the center of the Indochina peninsula in Southeast Asia. Thailand is the world's 50th-largest country and its capital city is Bangkok. The country is bordered by Cambodia and Vietnam to the east, Malaysia and Indonesia to the south, and Myanmar (Burma) and Laos to the north.
The status of the Grand Theft Auto series in Thailand is ambiguous. Despite a complete ban on the series taking effect in August 2008, digital copies of Grand Theft Auto V are sold without restriction, and fan content for the series in Thai is relatively common.
References in the GTA Series
- James Pedeaston mentions visiting Thailand in the first segment of The Wild Traveler, and later a building in Bangkok called The Wild Dragon's Happy Ending.
- Eugene, a character mentioned on the website of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, is mentioned as liking Thailand.
- A male pedestrian in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas might say "I love the boys in Thailand" when walking in public.
- Jezz Torrent asks employees of Juan Cortez in The Party if they know how ping pong is played in Thailand.
- One of the Red Light District, Liberty City's competitors is mentioned as Bangkok, which the former is losing competition with.
- Bryce Parker, a reporter for New World Order in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, does a report of child prostitution in Bangkok.
- During Taking the Fall, Lance Vance suggests to a phone contact that the T. in his name stands for "tulips in Thailand".
- The Platypus captain Zorba Philippidis lives in Thailand with his wife. A news article mentions his body being returned to his wife living in the country. In addition, many Platypus passengers are of Thai origin.
- Thailand is one of the countries that sponsor the Tour Bus.
- Duane Earl expresses an interest in visiting Thailand on an episode of Beyond Insemination.