Grand Theft Auto V
In single-player, TV stays practically the same as it was in GTA IV. It doesn't affect the gameplay in any serious way, and its only purpose is to be optional entertainment and, depending on the program viewed, some additional character backstory. The number of viewable TV programs has been expanded and now the player can watch television even if he is not sitting in one place, (i.e. sat on the sofa); the player must be seated to control the television, however.
Sometimes, when the player switches to another character, he can be found watching television in his house.
Television production makes an appearance in GTA V during the mission Fame or Shame, when Michael and Trevor disrupt Tracey's audition for the Fame or Shame TV talent show. Televised news reports are also used to aid plot development in a number of other missions.
|This article or section is Under Construction.|
- Michael watches Weazel News to trigger the cell phone bomb in the mission Friend Request.
- In the opening cutscene of the mission Mr. Philips, Dave Norton tunes to Weazel News' report of Michael and Franklin's recent robbery of the Vangelico jewelry store after warning the former that he's "D-O-N-E fucked" if "that fruitcake" finds out he's alive. Unbeknownst to Michael, at the same time Dave was warning him, Trevor was watching the same news report while he was having sex with Ashley Butler in his trailer.
- Fame or Shame (a new episode becomes available after Reuniting the Family)
- Republican Space Rangers
- Kung Fu Rainbow Lazerforce
- Jack Howitzer
- Gordon Moorehead Rides Again
- Impotent Rage
- Underbelly of Paradise
- Princess Robot Bubblegum (PS4/Xbox One/PC only)
- Phat Chips (PS4/Xbox One/PC only)
- Mount Zonah Medical Center
- Redwood Cigarettes.
- Los Santos Department of Water & Power
- Benefactor Surano
- Bravado Bison (PS4/Xbox One/PC only)
- Logger Beer
- Mystaspot (PS4/Xbox One/PC only)
- Nogo Vodka (PS4/Xbox One/PC only)
- The Epsilon program (PS4/Xbox One/PC only)
- Ego Chaser Energy Bars
- Grand Senora Desert
Grand Theft Auto Online
TVs are present in all houses and apartments and all 10-car garages.
As well as the two networks viewable in GTA V, TV in GTA Online has additional features/channels.
Provides security camera footage with a number of possible views depending on the standard of property, including:
- Main Door - exterior of the front door.
- Garage Door - exterior of the garage door.
- Garage - interior of the garage.
The player can cycle through all other players in the lobby in spectator mode with various camera angles and filters able to be applied.
Note: Weazel News and Spectate channels are only available when other players are in the Free Mode lobby.
- In GTA V, "live-action" TV shows and commercials, as well as movies, all appear to have been created by Rockstar Games in either the GTA V map, or on previous Rockstar Games titles (such as Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, L.A. Noire, GTA IV or Red Dead Redemption) as opposed to how some forms of media in GTA IV were filmed/created on "test maps" (The Men's Room, Venturas Poker Challenge, etc).
- A new episode of Princess Robot Bubblegum was cut from the final game; however, it returned in the enhanced version of the game.
- If the player activates Michael's special ability when the TV is on, the images on the TV will not be affected by the slow motion.
- In GTA Online, watching TV for long periods of time counts as idleness, but spectating players through the Weazel News channel does not.