|This article or section refers to "enhanced version" content in the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC renditions of Grand Theft Auto V and/or Grand Theft Auto Online, that is absent on the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 versions.|
For a complete list of the features of the "enhanced" version of Grand Theft Auto V, please see here.
- "It's time to brush off your territorial instincts in this remix of the classic adversary mode. The bottom line is the same: be in the safe zone when the timer runs out - or prepare to overheat, permanently. But this time, as well as getting smaller, the safe zone changes location every time the clock resets, and bits of the track might disappear at random. Stay sharp."
- — In-game description.
- "You may have declared yourself king of the ring in the classic Adversary Mode Sumo, but if you were thinking you could slip back into your old habits, think again. It's time to brush off your territorial instincts in Sumo (Remix), now available to play in GTA Online. The safe zone is still your only way to avoid going up in flames, but this time it moves whenever the timer runs out, shrinking each time, and large pieces of the track may or may not disappear at random. This is carnage 2.0."
- — Rockstar Newswire description.
This Adversary Mode is similar to the original Sumo mode, but these missions take place on large platforms above the map.
Once the round starts, a part of the large platform will become the "safe zone", and all players have 30 seconds to get inside it and stay there, as any vehicle that is outside of this zone once the timer ends gets destroyed.
After the time ends, a new area of the map will be declared the safe zone, and the process repeats. Every safe zone circle is smaller than the last, shrinking down to the size of only approximately two vehicles. The entire round is four minutes.
If players on different teams are still alive once the 4-minute timer runs out, a sudden-death circle will appear. This circle will get smaller and smaller until only one team remains alive.
Handbrakes are disabled for this Adversary Mode. Round ends once all players from the opposing team are Knocked Out.
Parts of the large platform may also disappear at random, giving an additional challenge to the game mode.
Choose the vehicle carefully: each has its advantages and weaknesses. Large, heavy vehicles have ramming power, but their higher center of gravity may leave them more vulnerable to being scooped by vehicles with a low hood. Smaller cars are more easily able to squeeze out of tight spots, but can be overwhelmed.
If playing on a team, the player may choose a combination of vehicles. They could use the smaller, quicker vehicles to lure opponents to the edge of the circle before more robust teammates deliver the killer blow. They may often see two cars deadlocked against each other in a war of attrition. Supporting a teammate with a nudge from behind can tip the scales, but runs the risk of seeing them go out of the circle as well as the enemy. Of course, when having some players to spare, sacrificing a team mate could be the smart decision. If a player finds himself in one of these face-to-face (or bumper-to-bumper) pushing matches – using reverse and sharply turning can trick the opponent into driving out of the circle. Alternatively, if the player is determined to win the push war, remember to properly manage the power; coming off the throttle ever so slightly to allow the tires to find traction provides much more pushing power than going pedal-to-the-metal and wheel spinning.
- If playing solo, don’t always drive at full speed when trying to push an opponent out. Vehicles in Sumo (Remix) have the handbrake disabled, so it takes a lot longer to stop the charge if the player misses them. Try to think strategically instead of relying strictly on brute force; watch your opponent's patterns of movement in order to anticipate where they are headed next.
There are seven Sumo (Remix) missions in GTA Online, each taking place in a different location, which are as follows:
|Sumo (Remix) I takes place on platforms near Del Perro Beach.|
|Sumo (Remix) II takes place on platforms near the El Gordo Lighthouse.|
|Sumo (Remix) III takes place on platforms near the Zancudo Bridge.|
|Sumo (Remix) IV takes place on platforms near Vespucci Beach.|
|Sumo (Remix) V takes place on platforms above Paleto Cove.|
|Sumo (Remix) VI takes place on platforms near Paleto Bay.|
|Sumo (Remix) VI takes place on platforms near Procopio Beach.|
- Sumo (Remix) I on Social Club
- Sumo (Remix) II on Social Club
- Sumo (Remix) III on Social Club
- Sumo (Remix) IV on Social Club
- Sumo (Remix) V on Social Club
- Sumo (Remix) VI on Social Club
- Sumo (Remix) VII on Social Club