Not much is known about the history of New Guernsey. However, on the official Grand Theft Auto website, is implied that it was established shortly after Liberty City.
The districts of the state of New Guernsey are evidently based on real life areas in New Jersey, while their names are wordplay's of those from their real life counterparts:
- New Guernsey (New Jersey)
- Guernsey City (Jersey City)
- Eaglewood (Englewood)
- Hackenslash (Hackensack)
- Fort Law (Fort Lee)
- Schlechberg (Guttenberg)
- State of Liberty
- State of Alderney - the HD Universe equivalent of New Jersey.
- Shoreside Vale - the 3D Universe equivalent of New Jersey.
- In the mission Payback in Grand Theft Auto IV, Jimmy Pegorino refers to the Pavanos treating him and his family as "just a bunch of Guernsey goombas", despite the HD Universe rendition of the State of New Jersey being called "State of Alderney".
- ↑ "... Founded on land bought off native Indians for just $37, a barrel of mead and a sack of feathers by Belgian settlers in 1603, the ancient 5 boroughs of Liberty Island (incorporating Nixon Island and Law Island), The Brix, Estoria, Kings and Brocklyn have effectively been joined in the metropolitan area by urban areas from the neighbouring state of New Guernsey... " - Official Grand Theft Auto website -> Cities -> Liberty City