- "Industrial wasteland meets suburban hell."
- ―GTA IV Website
The State of Alderney (Nickname: The Wasteland State) is an American state located to the west of Liberty City. Although the two states are independent of one another, Alderney City is treated as part of Liberty City's metropolitan area.
Alderney is based on the State of New Jersey. Alderney City shares many similarities with Newark and Jersey City, and unlike Liberty City, it is much more consistent with its real-life counterpart in terms of spatial planning and geography. The state is mostly made up of in-game representations of real-life cities and townships in Hudson County (Westdyke); however, it also features portions of Bergen County (Leftwood) to the north, and Union County (Tudor) to the south.
Not much is known about the history of Alderney. However, on the documentary A History of Liberty City on CNT, it is stated that Alderney was named after Phillip D. Alderney, who was said to be the "only person that could tolerate an oily mosquito filled swamp full of industrial waste and soccer moms".
Alderney City can be considered suburban and somewhat middle-class overall. Alderney has a wide range of characters and atmospheres which include:
- Central business district (Downtown Alderney City)
- Lower-class residential (Central Acter)
- Housing projects (West Tudor)
- Central industrial district (Acter Industrial Park)
- Semi-industrial (Tudor)
- Prison District (Alderney State Correctional Facility)
- Run-down, gang influenced (Acter)
Crime and corruption are no less common in Alderney City than in Liberty City. The most crime-ridden areas in Alderney are south and central Alderney City and in the townships of Acter, Berchem, and some parts of Tudor. The Pegorino Family and the Korean Mob conduct organized crime from within Alderney and Mafia families from Liberty City, such as the Ancelottis and Pavanos, also run operations there. as does a set of M.O.B.. A chapter of The Lost MC was active until it disbanded in 2008 after a civil war left it in ruins.
The State Troopers of Alderney wear uniforms different from those of the Liberty City Police Department that resemble those of the New Jersey State Police. However, the Alderney State Police department use vehicles bearing the livery of the LCPD.
Gangs of Alderney
- The Lost MC (formerly)
- Pegorino Family (formerly)
Food and Drink
Alderney's dining services mostly come from fast-food chains, such as the Pizza This and Burger Shot in Leftwood and Westdyke. Cluckin' Bell and Wigwam Burger are also seen around Berchem. The hot dog and peanut vendors spread throughout Alderney City. Alderney also has traditional foreign restaurants such as Mr. Fuk's Rice Box, a Korean restaurant located in Alderney City, and branches of chain restaurants that serve foreign dishes, such as Gozushi! in Leftwood.
The only park seen in the State of Alderney is Acter Park in Acter.
No sports stadiums of any kind appear in Alderney and it is unknown if the state is represented by any teams.
Red Mist XI and the Liberty City Wrath might play in an unseen area of Alderney; their real-life counterparts (the New York Red Bulls and New York Giants/New York Jets) play in Harrison and East Rutherford respectively, areas of New Jersey which are not depicted in-game.
Two high schools from the state of Alderney are seen on Hornyhighschoolreunions.com
- Acter High School
- Alderney City Tech
Alderney's outer reaches are supplied by the Plumbers Skyway. The state is connected to Liberty City by the Booth Tunnel and Hickey Bridge, both of which cross the West River. A ferry terminal is under construction in Castle Garden City, Algonquin, which would supposedly connect it with the completed Alderney terminal, but the terminal is abandoned, and construction is only in progress on the Algonquin end.
- Hickey Bridge, connects Alderney City, Alderney, to Varsity Heights and North Holland, Algonquin, Liberty City.
Much like other streets, Alderney streets are named after famous objects or people. Northern Alderney streets are named after mountain ranges, Owl Creek Avenue, Beaverhead Avenue, Big Horn Drive. Central Alderney streets are named after inventors, Babbage Drive, Farnsworth Road, Edison Avenue, and cult leaders, Koresh Square, Applewhite Street, Hubbard Avenue, and in Southern Alderney streets are after American nuclear tests, Plumbbob Avenue, Niblick Street and Tinderbox Avenue.
- Alderney does not have a subway system. However, remnants of a rail system can be found in various parts of the state, though this appears to have been for freight rather than passengers.
Public Services in Alderney
- Leftwood Police Station (Franklin St. & Bridger St. ― Leftwood, Alderney) telling by its relative size of area it covers.
- Acter Police Station (Vitullo Ave & Lee Rd. ― Acter, Alderney)
- Acter Industrial Park Police Station (Grommet St. & Toggle Ave ― Acter Industrial Park, Alderney)
- North Tudor Medical Center (169 Babbage Drive ― Tudor, Alderney)
- Westdyke Memorial Hospital (Long John Ave. ― Leftwood, Alderney)
- Berchem Fire Department (Vitullo Ave. ― Berchem, Alderney)
- Tudor Fire Station (Hardtack Ave. ― Tudor, Alderney)
Places of Interest in Alderney
- International Online Unlimited (Rand Ave and Applewhite St, Alderney City)
- Kakagawa Building (Myung and Bedrock St, Alderney City)
- National Newark Building (Boyden Ave and Koresh Sq, Alderney City)
- RON Building (Asahara Rd and Jonestown Ave, Alderney City)
- Schlongberg Sachs (Koresh Sq, Alderney City)
- Alderney Ferry Terminal (Asahara Rd and Booth Tunnel entrance, Alderney City)
- Alderney Casino (Beaverhead Ave, Westdyke)
- Sprunk Factory (Argus St, Tudor)
- Alderney State Correctional Facility (Grenadier St, Muskteer Ave, Acter Industrial Park/Alderney State Correctional Facility)
- Acter Nuclear Power Plant (Acter Industrial Park, Trinity Road)
- Giovanni Ancelotti
- Gracie Ancelotti
- Johnny Barbosa (formerly)
- Phil Bell
- Niko Bellic
- Ashley Butler (formerly)
- Ivan Bytchkov (determinant)
- Anthony Corrado (formerly)
- Joseph DiLeo (formerly)
- Jim Fitzgerald (formerly)
- Frankie Gallo (determinant)
- Billy Grey (formerly)
- Brian Jeremy (formerly)
- Johnny Klebitz (formerly)
- Angus Martin
- Charles Martin
- Charles Matteo (formerly)
- Jason Michaels (formerly)
- Angie Pegorino
- Jimmy Pegorino (formerly)
- Kenny Petrovic
- Leila Sharpe
- Luca Silvestri (formerly)
- Clay Simons (formerly)
- Terry Thorpe (formerly)
- Derrick McReary (formerly)
Businesses in Alderney
- Auto Eroticar (Keneckie Ave & Lockowski Ave. ― Alderney City, Alderney)
- Big Paulie's Used Cars (Emery St. & Anvil Ave. ― Tudor, Alderney)
- Burger Shot (Owl Creek Ave. and Sacramento Ave. ― Westdyke, Alderney)
- Honkers (Tinderbox Ave. & Argus St. ― Tudor, Alderney)
- Mr. Fuk's Rice Box (Hubbard Ave. ― Alderney City, Alderney)
- Pay 'n' Spray (Roebuck Rd. & Hardtack Ave. ― Port Tudor, Alderney / Panhandle Rd. - Leftwood, Alderney)
- Pizza This (Bridger St. & Tenmile St. ― Leftwood, Alderney)
- Tw@ Internet Café (Vitullo Ave. & Kemeny St. ― Berchem, Alderney)
- Westdyke Autos (Lemhi St. & Sacramento Ave. ― Westdyke, Alderney)
Townships, Industrial areas and Municipal counties
- Westdyke (Weehawken)
- Leftwood (Englewood and Westwood)
- Alderney City (Jersey City, Newark and Trenton)
- Berchem (Hoboken, North Bergen)
- Acter (Kearny, East Newark)
- Normandy (Bayonne)
- Tudor (Elizabeth)
- Port Tudor (Port Newark-Elizabeth Marine Terminal)
- Acter Industrial Park (Industrial District of South Kearny)
- The state's name is a reference to Alderney, one of the Channel Islands in the English Channel. This reflects the name of New Jersey, which is named after Jersey, another island in the English Channel.
- Some dialogue in the game refers to Alderney as "Guernsey" (the Bailiwick of Guernsey incorporates Alderney and the island of Guernsey is another Channel Island near to Jersey), suggesting that, at some point in GTA IV's development, the state may have carried its Grand Theft Auto 1 name of "New Guernsey", after the parent island. Jimmy Pegorino mentions both names in the Payback mission cutscene.
- Alderney is frequently derided by Libertonian citizens and news media like Weazel News throughout the game, parodying the antagonism between New York and New Jersey. Examples of this include a website claiming that "not even a terrorist would want to live in Alderney" and the Episodes from Liberty City instruction manual describing Alderney as being home to "dreary suburbia, industrial wastelands and strip malls".
- Berchem is the name of a district in Antwerp, Belgium; to its west is the Hoboken district, one of the disputed origins of the name of Hoboken, New Jersey.
- DJ Mister Cee of The Beat 102.7 once referred to Alderney as "Al-Dirty", a play on the New Jersey nickname "Dirty Jerz".
- In the beta map for GTA IV, Alderney appeared to have a piece of land extending to the north which was removed during development.
- Vehicles in Alderney do not appear to have their own licence plates and use Liberty City ones instead.
- State of New Guernsey - the 2D Universe version of New Jersey.
- Shoreside Vale - the 3D Universe version of New Jersey.