The Republic of Korea, more commonly known as South Korea (Korean : 대한민국), is a country located on the Korean Peninsula in eastern Asia. It is bordered by North Korea to the north.
Grand Theft Auto games in South Korea are rated by the country's own Game Rating and Administration Committee (GRAC); prior to 2006, Grand Theft Auto games were banned in the country, but the ban has long since been lifted, with formerly banned games being unofficially translated into Korean.
Like its Asian neighbor Japan, South Korea typically sees Grand Theft Auto and other Rockstar releases months later than the rest of the world due to the translation/localization process. Grand Theft Auto IV was released in South Korea on September 23, 2008 on console and December 3, 2008 on PC, and distribution was handled by Wiz Hands. Grand Theft Auto V was distributed by H2 Interactive.
There are a few references to the country in the GTA series.
- The Four Dragons Casino in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is a reference to the Four Dragons of Asia (Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan).
- Hana Moon (born in Pusan, South Korea) is a South Korean actress and voice actress who voiced Toshiko Kasen in Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories.
- SIGN stores in Los Santos have Korean writing.
- Korea Town is a group of streets located in Alderney City.
- The TW@ locations in GTA IV sell a generic South Korean brand of instant ramen noodles.
- Luis picks up two Korean escorts for the British Prince in The Ballad of Gay Tony.
- Kayton, Tenshun and Wiwang are three South Korean companies featured in Grand Theft Auto V. The letter "O" on Kayton's logo is similar to the taugeuk symbol featured in the flag of South Korea, and Wiwang and Tenshun are clearly based on Samsung.
- The Little Seoul district of Los Santos is named after Seoul, the capital of South Korea.
- The Arirang Plaza is named after Arirang, a popular Korean folk song.
- Bollokan appears to be a South Korean car manufacturer, based on Hyundai.
- Kkangpae is a South Korean gang.
- Kwak is a South Korean rapper.
- The buyers of the lowriders in Slow and Low are from South Korea, namely Seoul, as they talk about taking Snapmatic shots of the cars in the city.
- South Korean tourists can be found all around Los Santos and in some parts of Blaine County.