|This article or section refers to "enhanced version" content in the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC renditions of Grand Theft Auto V and/or Grand Theft Auto Online, that is absent on the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 versions.|
For a complete list of the features of the "enhanced" version of Grand Theft Auto V, please see here.
- "The Slasher stalks up to 7 Hunted with a shotgun. And they've only got flashlights. After 3 minutes, the Hunted get shotguns to turn the tables on the Slasher. If the Slasher or all the Hunted are killed within the time-limit, the other team wins."
- ―Rockstar Games Social Club Description.
- "This hyper-sensory game mode requires concentration, marksmanship and a rigid control of your own fear. Where you lack vision, you'll have to use touch, sound and instincts to ensure survival. Those who are yet to play the mode should know that the Slasher begins each round armed with a Shotgun and has three minutes to dispense with the Flashlight-wielding Hunted as they hide in the gloom and darkness. After three minutes, the game turns on its head as the Hunted also receive Shotguns and the Slasher becomes the prey."
- — Rockstar Newswire description.
Slasher missions focus on darkness. All missions take place inside buildings, except Slasher III, which takes place on a ship.
There are two teams:
- The Slasher: The Slasher team always only has one player, the job host by default. The Slasher is equipped with a shotgun with flashlight modification. The objective of the Slasher is to find and kill all of the Hunted.
- The Hunted: The Hunted team can have from 1 to 7 players. The Hunted team members only carry a Flashlight and should hide. Their goal is to kill the Slasher. During the first 3 minutes, the Hunted are at a disadvantage; having only a melee weapon and their fists to fight a shotgun-armed enemy. However, after the first 3 minutes, every player carries a shotgun, and the possibly superior number of Hunted remaining might make the tables turn.
If no victory conditions are met, that is, if the Slasher and at least one Hunted are alive when the second timer ends, both sides fail the mission.
If the Slasher wins, they stay as the Slasher for the next round, whereas if a Hunted kills the Slasher, they become the Slasher for the next round.
Winning rounds and matches
By its nature, this Adversary Mode has a particular way of scoring. All the Hunters win the round no matter who killed the Slasher. That can lead to an odd situation. In a game with Player A, B and C, default options (2 rounds to win), this can happen:
Round 1: Player A is the Slasher and wins.
Round 2: Player A is the Slasher and loses.
Round 3: Player B is the Slasher and loses.
At the end of Round 3, the game will end, as player A and player C have both won two rounds. The ending sequence will, however, claim that the whole Hunted team is the winner, even if there were other players who didn't win the same amount of rounds or who were previously in the opposite team.
When being the Slasher, a good strategy is to be thorough when checking for hideouts. To avoid melee attacks, it is best to keep a distance when going through corridors and narrow areas.
A good strategy for a member of the Hunted is to hide, and when the Slasher walks by, come out and hit the Slasher with the flashlight. This works especially well on Slasher IV as it is pitch black and the Slasher may be forced to use his/her flashlight.
In general, paying close attention to sounds and changes in light levels can reveal the position of the enemy.
|Slasher I takes place inside the Raven Slaughterhouse.|
|Slasher II takes place inside the FIB Headquarters.|
|Slasher III takes place on the Dignity, Pacific Ocean.|
|Slasher IV takes place inside Humane Labs and Research.|
|Slasher V takes place inside the Los Santos County Coroner Office.|
|Released in Gunrunning|
|Bunker - Slasher takes place inside one of the former military facilities turned purchasable Bunkers around San Andreas.|
|Released in Arena War|
|Missile Base - Slasher takes place in the Mount Chiliad Launch Facility.|
|Released in Los Santos Summer Special|
|Diamond Slasher takes place inside The Diamond Casino & Resort.|
- Slasher is a reference to the Slasher Film sub-genre of horror, where one murderous entity stalks and attempts to kill a group of people (usually teenagers).
- Just like the Beast vs. Slasher mode, as well as when the EMP detonates in The Humane Labs Raid, the entire state of San Andreas loses power when the lights turn off.
- This can be most easily seen in "Slasher III". There appears to be a visual glitch, however, where light is still illuminating from the city's buildings, even though the light source is no longer there.
- Slasher I on Social Club
- Slasher II on Social Club
- Slasher III on Social Club
- Slasher IV on Social Club
- Slasher V on Social Club
- Bunker - Slasher on Social Club
- Missile Base - Slasher on Social Club
- Diamond Slasher on Social Club