The station is hosted by a human DJ called Audrey and replaces The Journey, Fusion FM, and Jazz Nation Radio 108.5 in Episodes From Liberty City. The station's playlist is more modern than that of The Journey, as Self-Actualization FM's playlist is from the late-1980s to the late-2000s, whereas The Journey's is from the late-1960s to the mid-1990s.
Self-Actualization FM is related to the Children of the Mountain cult, as shown by dialogue between songs, along with Brother Adrian being mentioned. In Grand Theft Auto V, on www.cultstoppers.com, the description of Children of the Mountain refers to Brother Adrian owning "a radio station in Liberty City that plays trippy music while the DJ repears CoM dogma", suggesting the station is still broadcasting as of 2013.
The following tracks were planned for the station, but were dropped during development. These track names can be found in the file "american.gxt".
- Erik Wøllo - "Monument" (1990)
- Pete Namlook - "1st Impression" (1993)
- Spacetime Continuum - "Voice of the Earth" (1994)
- Coldcut - "Autumn Leaves (Irresistable Force Mix Trip 2)" (1993)
- System 7 - "Masato Eternity" (2008)
- Moby - "My Beautiful Blue Sky" (1993)
- This station plays in all three TW@ internet cafes in Episodes from Liberty City.
- During The Lost and Damned, this station plays in Drusilla's during cutscenes for Ray Boccino, replacing Jazz Nation Radio 108.5.
- In the PC version of GTA IV: The Complete Edition, Niko will ask Taxi Drivers to select "that stupid right-wing station" when selecting this station.