- — GTA V description at Rockstar Games Social Club
- Floyd: "Yes, I work at the docks."
- Trevor: "And? Anything, uh, interesting there for a man like me?"
- Floyd: "Well I mean I-I-I don't rightly.. rightly know. What kind of a person are you?"
- Trevor: " Oh, I am THAT kind of person, Floyd. I am that kind of person."
- — Trevor Philips and Floyd Hebert discussing about the docks
The mission begins in Floyd's apartment in Vespucci Beach, where Trevor forces Floyd to help him with a new caper. After Trevor, Wade, and Floyd all dress in stolen longshoreman uniforms, Trevor drives Floyd and Wade to the Port of Los Santos. Along the way, Trevor interrogates Floyd as to whether there is anything worth stealing at the port. Eventually, Floyd reveals the presence of a ship guarded by Merryweather Security, a ship that regular dock employees like Floyd are not allowed to approach and which potentially contains military hardware. Trevor decides that they must find out what is on that ship.
Once at the dock, Wade is pulled aside by a union boss to help with the clean-up of a mysterious spill. Trevor follows Floyd to the mystery ship. From there, the mission consists of several parts:
- Trevor and Floyd are accosted by a Merryweather guard who demands that they move two shipping containers. To maintain their cover, Trevor and Floyd use a Dock Handler to move the containers around the dock area.
- Trevor wants to take photographs of the mystery ship. To get a better angle on the ship, he climbs a nearby container crane. However, a port boss on the crane orders Trevor to get to work. To maintain his cover, Trevor uses the crane to load two shipping containers onto waiting tractor trailers.
- Once the containers are loaded, Trevor takes pictures of the ship. He must get three pictures: one of the bow of the ship, one of the security guard watching the gangplank, and one of the ship's stern.
- Trevor and Floyd take a loaded tractor trailer to the Los Santos Naval Port, which is also guarded by Merryweather. Entering the Port triggers a cut scene. Trevor gets out of the tractor trailer and pretends to have a delivery. Merryweather guards quickly surround him. Floyd tries to intervene but is knocked down and assaulted by the guards for his troubles. In the ensuing melee, Trevor sneaks into a guardhouse and steals a briefcase containing a shipping manifest. He then leaves, abandoning Floyd.
Trevor returns back to the apartment. There, he finds Wade sitting on the couch and covered in industrial waste. A final cut scene requires the player to choose one of two options for The Merryweather Heist:
Choosing the freight method will unlock the following setup mission:
Choosing the offshore method will unlock the following setup missions:
- Get in your truck.
- Go to Pier 400.
- Park next to dispatch.
- Follow Floyd.
- Get in the handler.
- Move the marked containers to the loading area.
- Set the container in the loading area.
- Go to the crane.
- Climb the crane to reach the cabin.
- Load the containers onto the trucks.
- Go to the vantage point at the end of the catwalk.
- Use the camera phone to take photos of the boat.
- Send the photos to Ron.
- Descend the crane to the docks floor.
- Get in the truck.
- Drive to the docking area.
- Leave the restricted area.
- Go to Floyd's apartment.
Gold Medal Objectives
- Time - Complete within 20:00.
- Skip all cutscenes.
- Employee of the Month - Complete without damaging the containers.
- Drive the handler carefully.
- Perfect Surveillance - Snap all 3 photographs of the boat as instructed.
- Follow all instructions.
- An Honest Day's Work - Complete without causing a disturbance at the docks.
- Easily done as causing a disturbance fails the mission.
- In the beta, the player originally had to move crates with a forklift racing Floyd, similar to the mission Robbing Uncle Sam from Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
- Merryweather presence on the Port of Los Santos was first mentioned in an internet news article from Weazel News after the mission Nervous Ron. The article mentions that Don Percival has been lobbying for the contract to Merryweather work on the port, but they deny that they are working there yet.
- If the player kills the Merryweather guards attacking Floyd, Floyd will continue to writhe around and grunt as if he was still being beaten.
- The rifle that one of the soldiers beating Floyd is carrying has no magazine in it.
- During the opening cutscene when Trevor is showing Floyd his penis, his genitals can briefly be seen as he pulls his pants up, making him the only protagonist in the series whose genitals can be seen, albeit briefly.
- In the Japanese version of the game, Trevor does not expose himself to Floyd and instead makes a gesture.
- After the mission ends, if the player approaches the bathroom in Floyd's house, they can hear Floyd giving Wade a bath.
- Sometimes, if the player saves the game by sleeping on the bed right after the mission is passed, once Trevor wakes up, Wade can be seen standing outside of the bathroom already cleaned up, even if the conversation between him and Floyd as if the latter was bathing the former can still be heard.
- Trevor wears sunglasses in the original version of the game. In the enhanced version, he wears standard glasses.
- After arriving at Pier 400, and before the objective "Follow Floyd" appears, the player can enter a Biff that is parked nearby. Staying in it for too long, spooking dock workers with it, or hitting dock workers will fail the mission.
- Furthermore, the player can use it to push Floyd around and they will see that he cannot be knocked over even if he is pressed against a wall or hit at high speed.
- If the player gets a wanted level after leaving the restricted area, the GPS point will disappear but the player can go to Floyd's house and complete the mission.
- Hitting the dock workers with the containers will not fail the mission. This is most likely an oversight.