In Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, there are 38 save points (the most in any Grand Theft Auto game) that Carl Johnson can acquire. These are divided into basic save points, which are granted to Carl as he progresses through the storyline, and safe houses, which are save points with added amenities that Carl may purchase after unlocking them by completing certain missions. All safe houses are needed to complete the game (contributing 15% of the total), costing a total of $879,000.
Main save points and safehouses
There are eight main save points and safehouses that are made available to Carl as he completes missions in the game's story. All are free of charge with one exception. These may or may not be inside an enclosed structure, and most consist of no more than a save icon and, in three cases, a usable garage. Only the Johnson House has a wardrobe. Although the player can choose to make any safehouse a "home base" during various chapters of the game, the game storyline will generally place these save points as key "home base" locations, particularly the Johnson House, Doherty Garage and the Abandoned AC Tower.
|Johnson House||Two-story||Ganton, Los Santos||Free||Medium Garage||In the Beginning|
|Angel Pine Save Point||Cabin||Angel Pine, Whetstone||Free||None, but a Sanchez spawns by the trailer||The Green Sabre|
|Catalina's Hideout||Cabin||Fern Ridge, Red County||Free||None, but a Buffalo spawns by the hideout||King In Exile|
|Doherty Garage||Filling Station||Doherty, San Fierro||Free||Big Garage; the other three garages are not used||Are You Going to San Fierro?|
|Mike Toreno's Ranch||Ranch||Tierra Robada||Free||None, but a Washington spawns near the house||Yay Ka-Boom-Boom|
|Abandoned AC tower||Abandoned Airstrip||Verdant Meadows, Bone County||$80,000||Medium Garage and Aircraft Hangar, a PCJ-600 often spawns near the save point even before the property is bought||Verdant Meadows|
|The Four Dragons Casino||Casino||The Strip, Las Venturas||Free||None, but cars usually spawn on the road in front of the Casino||Learning to Fly|
|Madd Dogg's Crib||Mansion||Mulholland, Los Santos||Free||None, but a Sparrow spawns on the rooftop and random cars may spawn in the driveway||A Home in the Hills|
Other safe houses
There are 29 other safe houses scattered around the state that are unlocked at various points in the story. These safe houses are purchasable properties containing a save icon as well as a wardrobe, which distinguishes them from save points. Safe houses may also contain usable garages, capable of storing up to four vehicles.
|Jefferson Safehouse||Medium-end||Jefferson, Los Santos||$10,000||None, but after exiting the house, a random vehicle may be driven by the driver onto the nearby driveway||In the Beginning|
|El Corona Safehouse||Low-end||El Corona, Los Santos||$10,000||Medium Garage||In the Beginning|
|Verona Beach Safehouse||Apartment||Verona Beach, Los Santos||$10,000||None, but random vehicles can spawn in the apartment complex's parking lot||In the Beginning|
|Willowfield Safehouse||Low-end||Willowfield, Los Santos||$10,000||None, but after exiting the house, a random vehicle may be driven by the driver onto the nearby driveway||In the Beginning|
|Santa Maria Beach Safehouse||Beach House||Santa Maria Beach, Los Santos||$30,000||Medium Garage; Some random vehicles can sometimes spawn in front of the house||In the Beginning|
|Mulholland Safehouse||High-end||Mulholland, Los Santos||$120,000||Small Garage||In the Beginning|
|Blueberry Safehouse||Apartment||Blueberry, Red County||$10,000||None||The Green Sabre|
|Palomino Creek Safehouse||Medium-end||Palomino Creek, Red County||$35,000||Small Garage||The Green Sabre|
|Dillimore Safehouse||Medium-end||Dillimore, Red County||$40,000||Small Garage||The Green Sabre|
|Flint County Safehouse||Farm||Flint County||$100,000||None, but a Tractor, Walton, and a Sanchez spawn around the safehouse/farm||The Green Sabre|
|Angel Pine Safehouse||Low-end||Angel Pine, Whetstone||$20,000||None||The Green Sabre|
|Chinatown Safehouse||Apartment||Chinatown, San Fierro||$20,000||None||Are You Going to San Fierro?|
|Doherty Safehouse||Apartment||Doherty, San Fierro||$20,000||None||Are You Going to San Fierro?|
|Paradiso Safehouse||Medium-end||Paradiso, San Fierro||$20,000||Medium Garage||Are You Going to San Fierro?|
|Hashbury Safehouse||Hidden Apartment||Hashbury, San Fierro||$40,000||Big Garage||Are You Going to San Fierro?|
|Calton Heights Safehouse||High-end||Calton Heights, San Fierro||$100,000||Medium Garage||Are You Going to San Fierro?|
|El Quebrados Safehouse||Low-end||El Quebrados, Tierra Robada||$20,000||None||Yay Ka-Boom-Boom|
|Tierra Robada Safehouse||Low-end||Tierra Robada||$20,000||None||Yay Ka-Boom-Boom|
|Fort Carson Safehouse||Low-end||Fort Carson, Bone County||$30,000||Medium Garage||Yay Ka-Boom-Boom|
|Creek Safehouse||Apartment||Creek, Las Venturas||$10,000||None, but a BMX spawns near the house||Learning to Fly|
|Rockshore West Safehouse||Medium-end||Rockshore West, Las Venturas||$20,000||Small Garage||Learning to Fly|
|Redsands West Safehouse||Medium-end||Redsands West, Las Venturas||$30,000||Small Garage||Learning to Fly|
|Whitewood Estates Safehouse||Medium-end||Whitewood Estates, Las Venturas||$30,000||Small Garage||Learning to Fly|
|Prickle Pine Safehouse||Two-story||Prickle Pine, Las Venturas||$50,000||Medium Garage||Learning to Fly|
None of the hotel suites come with a garage.
|Vank Hoff in the Park Hotel Suite||Hotel Suite||Queens, San Fierro||$50,000||Are You Going to San Fierro?|
|Old Venturas Strip Hotel Suite||Hotel Suite and Casino||Old Venturas Strip, Las Venturas||$6,000||Learning to Fly|
|Pirates in Men's Pants Hotel Suite||Hotel Suite and Casino||Pirates in Men's Pants, Las Venturas||$6,000||Learning to Fly|
|The Camel's Toe Hotel Suite||Hotel Suite and Casino||The Camel's Toe, Las Venturas||$6,000||Learning to Fly|
|The Clown's Pocket Hotel Suite||Hotel Suite
|The Clown's Pocket, Las Venturas||$6,000||Learning to Fly|
- Saving the game in a safe house with a garage attached to it will often remove custom graphic paint jobs from Loco Lo Co. or Wheel Arch Angels. It is best to keep these vehicles in a garage Carl won't save at to prevent this from happening. Custom Color paint, two-tone, interiors, and vinyl roofs, however, will stay intact even when saving at that garage. Body modifications and rims also remain untouched.
- A glitch exists where vehicles vanish. This happens if the player has stored in a garage, for example, a vehicle that can't be modified with a vehicle that can be modified only at Wheel Arch Angels and one of the vehicles will disappear. To prevent this from happening store in garages vehicles of the same type: those that can't be tuned, those that can be tuned only at Transfender, lowriders and tuners.
- When to storing and saving the NRG-500 from the NRG-500 Challenge in a garage, attempting to replay the challenge will cause the previous NRG-500 you stored to disappear from the garage.
- In the Jefferson Motel, there can be found a save icon in the skylight. It belongs to the Hashbury Safehouse. However, when saving there you will be returned to the normal world and fall from the sky instead of being in one of these two interiors.
- When a safehouse's garage reaches its limit of vehicles, the player can open the garage door by approaching it on foot. If they are quick enough, they can return to their vehicle and drive it inside the garage before the door closes. The vehicle will be saved, but may be difficult to retrieve if too many vehicles are stored in the garage. Sometimes one of the saved vehicles will disappear when over the limit.
- The camera does not automatically pan back when the player enters the garages at the Verdant Bluffs Safehouse or Calton Heights Safehouse.