- “The Triads are another small San Fierro gang based in Chinatown. They are lead by Wu Zi Mu and Ran Fa Li and have a big problem with the Da Nang Boys. The Triads are always looking for new business opportunities, and ways to make money such as the running of a Betting Shop and eventually the Four Dragons Casino.”
- — GTA San Andreas description
There are three Triad factions in San Fierro consisting of a set hierarchy with small sets answering to larger sets; the Blood Feather Triad, which would later be slaughtered by their rivals, the Da Nang Boys; the Red Gecko Tong, which is led by Ran Fa Li; and the Mountain Cloud Boys (山雲男孩). The most prominent gang in the group, the Mountain Cloud Boys, is operated by the blind Wu Zi Mu and answers to the Red Gecko Tong.
The sets of the Triads are heavily involved in joint operations. The Mountain Cloud Boys establish an alliance with the Red Gecko Tong. The SF Triads are also allied with the Grove Street Families. They have problems with the three Mafia families (Leone Family, Forelli Family, Sindacco Family) in Las Venturas, and are enemies with the Da Nang Boys. They seem to have problems with the San Fierro Rifa too.
In addition to their bases of operations in San Fierro, the Triads also own and operate a casino hotel venture called The Four Dragons Casino on the southern tip of The Strip in Las Venturas; ownership is shared between Wu Zi Mu, Ran Fa Li and Carl Johnson. Because of intense Mafia pressure in the city, the Triads attempted to flex their muscles to show the Mafia that they can hold their own casino on The Strip. While the Triad's primary business is gambling, Wu Zi Mu has shown motivations towards robbery and street racing.
Triad members don all-black suits or all-grey suits. The Triad gang members appear on the streets in Chinatown, the most northern tip of King's and Calton Heights in San Fierro. Strangely, they do not appear on Las Venturas streets, even areas surrounding the Four Dragons Casino, although they can be seen on several cutscenes and missions. They usually wield AK-47s and pistols, however in certain missions they can be seen with different guns.
Unlike the Varrios Los Aztecas, the Triads will react with friendliness towards Carl Johnson but will react with hostility to him if provoked. They are also hostile to the Families. However, since the Families and the Triads live in different cities, the confrontation between them is rare.
Events of GTA San Andreas
Carl Johnson, having been exiled from Los Santos after the fall of the Grove Street Families, works for Wu Zi Mu's faction and helps them destroy the Loco Syndicate and neutralize the Da Nang Boys. In return the Triads aid Carl in robbing Caligula's Palace, give him a share in The Four Dragons Casino, and help him in seizing Madd Dogg's mansion back from a Vagos drug dealer so the Grove Street Families could spearhead their return. The mansion serves as CJ's own base of operation in his return to Los Santos.
Two rank names are clearly heard or mentioned in GTA San Andreas:
- Shuk Foo (Lit. uncle); The Shuk Foo is the leader of a triad faction (a Tong) ; Ran Fa Li, for example, is the leader of the Red Gecko Tong. It can be compared to being the Don of a mafia family. Certain Tongs can also be led by Ah Kung (Lit. grandfather), which is a similar rank to Shuk Foo.
- Dai Dai Lo (Lit. big big brother); The Dai Dai Lo leads his own group of men (sometimes informally called a "crew") and answers directly to the Shuk Foo or Ah Kung. The Mountain Cloud Boys are led by a Dai Dai Lo, Wu Zi Mu. They can be compared to the Italian mafia caporegimi.
Other ranks exist, though they are not mentioned in the script, they can be implied to exist as well;
- Dai Lo (Lit. big brother); These are the assistants of the Dai Dai Lo, who themselves are supported by men at street level. Those men organize themselves in small cliques or bands (much like how Carl Johnson can act as a clique leader by recruiting fellow Grove Street members) in order to carry out the Dai Lo's tasks; the clique leader is called a Yee Lo (lit. second brother), while the simple members are called Leng Jai (lit. little kid). It can be assumed that the Triads seen on the street are ranked as such.
- Ran Fa Li - Mountain Master of the Red Gecko Tong and the Triads
- Wu Zi Mu - Deputy Mountain Master of the Triads and leader of the Mountain Cloud Boys
- Unnamed leader - One of the leaders
- Su Xi Mu - Ran Fa Li's translator
- Guppy - Red Pole
- Little Lion - Red Pole
- Cesar Vialpando- Associate
- Carl Johnson - Associate
- Kendl Johnson - Associate
- Zero - Associate
- Madd Dogg - Associate
- Wu Zi Mu
- Mountain Cloud Boys
- Amphibious Assault
- The Da Nang Thang
- Ran Fa Li
- Pier 69
- Fender Ketchup
- Explosive Situation
- You've Had Your Chips
- Fish In A Barrel
- Architectural Espionage
- Key To Her Heart
- Dam and Blast
- Cop Wheels
- Up, Up and Away
- Breaking The Bank At Caligula's
- A Home In The Hills
Unused Character Models
In the cutscene files there are two unused models called cstriada3 & cstriboss. The first model looks similar to the Triad's second member except that he has full hair and a moustache. The second one, looks instead like an old Chinese man wearing a purple-gray suit.
- The San Fierro Triads are probably based on the Wah Ching, one of San Francisco's largest and oldest Triad societies.
- When the player performs the Territory Glitch where other gangs can attack player's territory, the Triads' blips will be light pink.
- It is implied that the Triads originally also had turf around the casino in Las Venturas, due to a picture on the BradyGames guide showing red territory at the Four Dragons Casino area.