Two players can play pool and either player wins. The main goal is to get all the colored balls within the designated colors into the holes in the table and then get the 8-Ball to win. Green pool tables were first seen in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, however, it could not be played by the player. It was not until GTA San Andreas that pool could be played by the player as a mini-game. In GTA San Andreas the pool table's design is based on a 1980's Valley 7-foot coin-operated pool table, while in GTA IV, its appearance is likely based on a Diamond 7-foot table.
Pool in GTA San Andreas
If CJ wins the game, he wins whatever he'd wagered at the beginning of the game. If he loses or quits, he loses the money he wagered. In any instance, CJ gets a pool cue, which replaces whatever melee weapon he'd had.
It is possible to retrieve the wagered money by killing the challenger.
The player can compete against another player using a second controller, but no money can be wagered.
- Lil' Probe'Inn in Bone County
- Misty's in Garcia, San Fierro
- Casino Floor in Las Venturas
- Ten Green Bottles on Grove Street in Ganton, Los Santos
- The Craw Bar in Old Venturas Strip, Las Venturas.
CJ breaks. Whoever sinks a ball first gets that pattern, stripes or solids, and the other player gets the opposite.
The turn is lost on the following occasions:
- A player pockets the wrong type of ball.
- A player scratches (pockets the white cue ball).
- A player misses all of the balls.
- A player hits a ball, but it doesn't hit the rail.
- A player hits the wrong type of ball first.
If a player scratches, the other player can put the cue ball anywhere on the table before shooting.
Winning / losing
The game is won under the following conditions:
- The player pockets all of their striped/colored balls, then pockets the 8-Ball, before their opponent.
- The opponent accidentally pockets the 8-Ball before they have pocketed all of their striped/colored balls.
The game is lost under the following conditions:
- The opponent pockets all of their striped/colored balls, then pockets the 8-Ball, before the player.
- The player accidentally pockets the 8-Ball before they have pocketed all of their striped/colored balls.
- The player successfully pockets the 8-Ball after pocketing all of their striped/colored balls, but also pockets the white cue ball in the same shot.
- Go to any location where pool can be played. Shoot the pool player in the head and kill him, he will lift his hands up as if he is surrendering, but he will remain standing, as if he was still alive. However, after about 4-5 seconds, he will fall over and die.
- Go to any Bar that has a pool player. Don't kill him. Take Satchel Charges (at least 15 are required) and throw satchels one-by-one to the pool guy. You will see his health decreasing, throw all the satchels, and his health will be black (dead), but he will still be active, like nothing happened. If the charges are detonated, or the player tries to kill him in any other way, he will not die.
- The player is not able to kill the pool player with a stealth kill.
Pool in GTA IV
Pool can be played against friends, or against a random competitor when not being accompanied by a friend. The player may not wager money.
Winning a game of pool will grant the player the achievement "Pool Shark". Michelle is the easiest player to beat while Little Jacob and Packie are both good players and therefore harder to beat for the achievment.
- In the Homebrew Café.
- In Playboy X's Penthouse.
- At the Lost MC Clubhouse, in the episodes only.
- In Comrades Bar. (non-playable)
The rules are the same as in GTA San Andreas. However, there are a few new items:
- If the ball jumps off the table, the offending player loses a turn.
- If the 8-ball jumps off the table, the game is lost.
- If a ball is pocketed on the break, the player can continue with their choice of stripes or solids, regardless of the ball type that was pocketed. The same is true if the first successful pot include both types of ball.
- If the player pockets the 8-ball on the break (the first shot of the game), you win.
There are two different types of pool table in GTA IV:
- The green pool table of Homebrew Café (and Lost MC Clubhouse in TLAD)
This pool table has a ragged surface, which makes the balls roll with a strange path sometimes.
- The pink pool table of Playboy X's Penthouse
This pool table has better surface quality than the green table, however, if the player shoots too hard, the balls may bounce off the table. This makes it more realistic, however.*The pool table at Playboy X's penthouse is only accessible during a friendship outing or date; Niko can't play a casual game by himself. Also, some graphics glitches may occur when playing a game at the safehouse, though this doesn't appear to impact the player's ability to complete the game.
There is a glitch when playing the game on the Xbox 360 and PS3. If a shot is missed, press LB/L1 before the opponent's turn. Then press A/X to get back into the game (pressing LB or L1 again will forfeit the game). The opponent will hit either the players or their own ball and will foul for hitting the wrong color ball, even if it's theirs and the fould shot rule will be applied allowing the player to take their next turn.