The PlayStation 3, (stylized as PLAYSTATION 3), or PS3, is a gaming console created by Sony Corporation. It is the successor of the PlayStation 2, and the predecessor of the PlayStation 4. It is in direct competition with the Xbox 360 and the Nintendo Wii. The PS3 was released on November 11, 2006 in Japan, and November 17, 2006 in North America.
It features a hard drive (12GB, 20GB, 40GB, 60GB, 80GB 120GB, 160GB, 250GB, 320GB, or 500GB depending on the model), much improved CPU, easy hard drive expansion, high definition graphics, advanced online gaming capabilities, blu-ray media, wireless "SIXAXIS" or "DUALSHOCK 3" controllers, interaction with a PlayStation Portable (PSP) system through Wi-Fi and much more. It is also the only 7th generation console to offer region-free games.
Dan Houser stated during an IGN interview that the reason Grand Theft Auto V was released on the PS3 and Xbox 360 instead of releasing it on (current at the time) 8th gen consoles, is because they believed that these platforms still held a large amount of power and capability in them.
Grand Theft Auto games
- Grand Theft Auto IV - April 29, 2008 Worldwide (except Japan)
- Grand Theft Auto IV - October 30, 2008 Japan
- Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City - April 13, 2010 in North America, April 16 in Europe and Oceania
- The Lost and Damned - April 13, 2010 in North America, April 16 in Europe and Oceania
- The Ballad of Gay Tony - April 13, 2010 in North America, April 16 in Europe and Oceania
- Grand Theft Auto V - September 17, 2013 Worldwide (except Japan)
- Grand Theft Auto V - October 10, 2013 Japan
- Grand Theft Auto Online - October 1, 2013 Worldwide. Shut down on December 16, 2021.
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - December 1, 2015