Their products can be seen at newspaper stands all over Liberty City and in 24/7, Limited Service, Rob's Liquor and Ammu-Nation stores all over San Andreas. The chips cannot be purchased in any of the games. Phat Chips are marketed as a brand of potato chip that can be eaten by anyone, even those on a diet, as their adverts claim that the chips carry no fat.
It is a parody of the real chips brand called Lay's and bears a similar logo. Both also come in unusual flavours. The logo is also similar to that of Betty Crocker, a popular brand of American food products.
- "Phat" is an obvious play on the word "fat", a possible reference to the amount of fat these chips may have.
- 'Phat' is also a slang term which means cool, excellent, or high quality.
- Malc's jacket has a Phat Chips stamp.
- Franklin Clinton can be seen eating a bag of chips as the player switch characters with him. This happens only after he acquired his mansion safehouse.
- Franklin will comment on this in multiple different ways, such as "Man, snacking and I ain't even high", "Man, I need to get some health food in this damn house" and "That's like six burpee's right there". This may be a reference to the lack of edible food to restore health.
- Oddly enough, the bags of chips seen in-game use the British English dialectal word flavour, which in American English would be spelled flavor.