|This article or section refers to "enhanced version" content in the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC renditions of Grand Theft Auto V and/or Grand Theft Auto Online, that is absent on the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 versions.
For a complete list of the features of the "enhanced" version of Grand Theft Auto V, please see here.
- "When you see the enormous dome appear over the Los Santos skyline, jump into the closest ride and find your way into it before the timer starts. Then, stay within the dome as it begins to move and shrink, smashing and bashing rivals out. Those who are left out of the dome for more than 7 seconds will explode. See if you can be the sole survivor at the very end."
- — Rockstar Newswire description.
- "As soon as you see that Penned In is about to begin, jump into the nearest ride and find your way into the ring before the timer starts. The goal is to stay within the dome as it begins to move and shrink, attempting to knock other participants out, while doing your best to stay in the area."
- — Description
Penned In involves players staying inside a large yellow circle, while it moves, and gradually gets smaller. Players are free to join if they want, and once they enter, they are automatically invulnerable to other players killing them.
The aim of the game in simple; remain in the circle last, pushing other players out of the circle, and keeping them out for more than 7 seconds, before they explode, and are deemed eliminated from the mission. All players who take part are rewarded with $2,000 to $2,500, and the winner receives $16,250.
Penned In Locations
There are 10 different starting locations for Penned In. The location is chosen at random. Some of the paths the dome follows are longer and/or more diverse than others and so some locations have more turning points than others.
- Although a Hydra or Savage is a good choice for fast maneuverability, they are considerably large and are tricky to keep within the circle when it becomes too small, therefore a land vehicle, something heavy, such as an Insurgent is the best choice. Shooting at players is pointless since they cannot be killed; simply push/barge them out of the circle instead.
- Some of the paths the dome follows are longer or more complicated than others, however several of the courses are very easy to predict once the player knows the route, and some are obvious:
- The Fort Zancudo starting point traverses the perimeter of Fort Zancudo and ends on the Fort Zancudo Approach road bridge.
- The Banham Canyon starting point goes down the cliff towards the beach, and follows the beach for the majority of the distance, sometimes creeping up onto the nearby highway. It then turns off the beach onto West Eclipse Boulevard passing through the fuel station. It then winds through the Hill Valley Church cemetery and ends on the island of a small pond within the cemetery memorial area.