|This article or section is Under Construction.|
|This article or section refers to "enhanced version" content in the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC renditions of Grand Theft Auto V and/or Grand Theft Auto Online, that is absent on the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 versions.
For a complete list of the features of the "enhanced" version of Grand Theft Auto V, please see here.
- "Allow me to introduce myself. I am Pavel. Helmsman first class, also chief engineer, gunner... radar technician and cook, huh."
- ―Pavel introducing himself to the player.
- "I was about to get involved in some serious geopolitical bullshit... but who wants to get stuck on the bottom of the ocean... with three IAA agents and... angry blogger?"
Pavel is a Russian sailor and is working on the Kosatka submarine which has been upgraded and converted to allow it to be operated by a crew of one; so he is responsible for a variety of roles that range from engineering, maintenance and gunnery to ship's cook.
Pavel had been running jobs for the Madrazo Cartel using the Kosatka. He was about to work with the IAA. He was making easy money (presumably smuggling) on the Brazil to West Africa trans-Atlantic route. Before that, he had faked a sailing accident for the Governor of Liberty State. Prior to that, he was at the North Pole. He also claims to have previously liberated sensitive documents for the Canadian government. He was active in Russia's post-Soviet era of the 1990s, but is unable to recall his activities as that time was "a hell of a drug." He once abducted the CEO of Lombank on a cruise ship near Cayo Perico in years prior. He also claims to have spent a summer in a Torture Cage after trifling with the Welsh.
Events of GTA Online
- "I will be lurking in the deep like post-Soviet kraken... telling you what to do on the radio."
- ―Pavel explaining his role in the heist.
Pavel is first seen when the player enters the Kosatka. Climbing down from the sail hatch, Pavel is heard in the distance singing "The Song of the Volga Boatmen" while working near the Sparrow storage pad in the Moon Pool. Warning the Protagonist to not touch anything just as they're peering at some meters, he guides them towards his voice. He will introduce the player to the Kosatka's primary features and explain the plans and preparations formulated by Miguel Madrazo. He also explains some of his background and prior jobs while touring the player before returning to his duties elsewhere on the Kosatka.
Once the player initiates the scouting phase of the Cayo Perico Heist, Pavel will give instruction and conversation to the player through radio communications.
After arriving to the island and sneaking past El Rubio's guards, he will relay the basic key locations the player must find, and take pictures of, in order to progress. Utilizing satellite imaging and camera footage, Pavel will inspect and explain possible points of interests as well as various routes and items that may be of value to the player. He will also talk about miscellaneous locations such as the graveyard if the player takes pictures of them.
Pavel will continue to give important information, details as well as additional dialogue throughout the heist prep and finale.
- "My God... They just keep getting younger and dumber."
- ―Pavel on Miguel Madrazo
When the finale begins for the Cayo Perico Heist, Pavel is frustrated from the nuances between screens and buttons before he begins to brief the player but is interrupted by the arrival of Miguel Madrazo who came to remind the player of their objective to steal the files. Miguel proceeds to give a sort of pep talk and tries to cheer for the player/s, only to turn the conversation into awkward silence before leaving for the Music Locker. Pavel and the player is astonished at Miguel's conduct before he sends the player off to the heist.
He is not seen in the ending cutscene for the Cayo Perico Heist but continues to happily work for the player and continues to support them as they continue to do more heists on Juan Strickler's compound.
Grand Theft Auto Online
The Cayo Perico Heist
- Kosatka introduction cutscene
- Heist Prep: Gather Intel (Voice/Boss)
- Heist Prep: Kosatka (Voice/Boss)
- Heist Prep: Alkonost (Voice/Boss)
- Heist Prep: Pilot (Voice/Boss)
- Heist Prep: Velum (Voice/Boss)
- Heist Prep: Stealth helicopter (Voice/Boss)
- Heist Prep: Patrol Boat (Voice/Boss)
- Heist Prep: Longfin (Voice/Boss)
- Heist Prep: Safe Code (Voice/Boss)
- Heist Prep: Plasma Cutter (Voice/Boss)
- Heist Prep: Fingerprint Cloner (Voice/Boss)
- Heist Prep: Cutting Torch (Voice/Boss)
- Heist Prep: Demolition Charges (Voice/Boss)
- Heist Prep: Unmarked Weapons (Voice/Boss)
- Heist Prep: Disrupt Weapons (Voice/Boss)
- Heist Prep: Disrupt Armor (Voice/Boss)
- Heist Prep: Disrupt Air Support (Voice/Boss)
- The Cayo Perico Heist (Voice/Boss in subsequent playthroughs)
Much of Pavel's dialog is quite 'meta' and sometimes borders on breaking the fourth wall.
- "Have you ever tried shooting the missiles at the people on the flying bikes? Great sport here in America." is a reference to players who use both the Oppressor and Oppressor Mk II to harass other players during free roam sessions and business activities.
- The text on Pavel's shirt reads "В тихом омуте черти водятся" (It's the quiet whirlpool that keeps the Devil). This is a Russian proverb, that when translated correctly means "it's the quiet one you've got to watch".
- "You know the only diamond bigger than this? The one on my ex-wife's finger. You steal that back, then I am impressed"
- ―Pavel after the protagonist steals the Pink Diamond in The Cayo Perico Heist.
- "You know, my auntie Anna used to travel fifty miles to work on a forklift just like this. Not useful, but test of a character."
- ―Pavel after the player sends him the construction site photo in Heist Prep: Gather Intel
- "That was a long swim, no? Reminds me of my auntie Nonna... every year she would visit Canada in this way."
- ―Pavel to the player when caught by the helicopter, washing up on Vespucci Beach.
- "Ah, a charming little campsite. Reminds me of my cousin Leo's place. Not so useful for us."
- ―Pavel after the player sends him the campsite photo in Heist Prep: Gather Intel
- "As my uncle Vasily would say, do not fear the wolf..."
- "Did I ever tell you about my friend Sergei? Spetsnaz. Created new tactical approach method, the Russian word means "valiant jump from cliff". I keep part of his skull under my hat for luck."
- ―Pavel if player is close to the clifftop balcony in El Rubio's Compound during the heist finale
- "Did I ever tell you the story of how a humble junior helmsman in Russian navy became the greatest operational planner in western underworld?... It was on that day my friend Vasily, he turned to me, he said, "Pavel, we are not paid enough for this". This was before the incident with the cluster munitions, of course, so Vasily still had his sense of humor. I looked right into his glass eye and I said...."
- ―Pavel during a random conversation in a heist prep mission
- Jonathan Kite confirmed on Instagram that he did not voiced Pavel in GTA Online 
- Aaron Phillips, the voice actor for Castro Lagano in GTA V and Marko Dragic in RDR2, claims that Pavel is voiced by Steven Ogg. 
- "...Years ago, I was abducting CEO of Lombank from cruise ship not so far from here, and..."
- ―Pavel after the player sends him the beached whale photo in Heist Prep: Gather Intel
- "...I once spent a whole summer in one of these. Let me tell you, the Welsh are a people not to be trifled with."
- ―Pavel after the player sends him the torture cage photo in Heist Prep: Gather Intel