The Pause Menu is a screen that appears all throughout the Grand Theft Auto series. It comes up whenever the player presses the "Start" button (Game Consoles) or upon starting the game or pressing ESC button (PC). It is used when the player is finished playing for the day, when the player needs a break, to check the map or redefine controls. In Grand Theft Auto IV, Grand Theft Auto: The Lost and Damned, Grand Theft Auto: The Ballad of Gay Tony, and Grand Theft Auto V, upon pausing the game, ambient music will begin to play.
Through the Pause Menu, the player can:
- Start a new game.
- Load or delete a saved game.
- Check the map (Grand Theft Auto: Vice City onwards).
- View Brief (recent dialogue used by main characters and protagonists/or game reminders/messages).
- View Stats.
- Change settings and options.
- Quit the game (PC and mobile versions).
- Save the game (only in Grand Theft Auto Advance and Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars).
- Access Grand Theft Auto Online (GTA V only).
- Replay a mission or a stranger and freaks mission (GTA V).