|This article or section refers to "enhanced version" content in the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC renditions of Grand Theft Auto V and/or Grand Theft Auto Online, that is absent on the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 versions.
For a complete list of the features of the "enhanced" version of Grand Theft Auto V, please see here.
- "There was a time when owning one of every weapon on the planet was enough. That time is over. These days, if a satellite doesn't have your back, you might as well be playing with sharp sticks. Invest in the Orbital Weapons System, and for a fixed price you can push the big red button and rain hell on any spot of land or sea that invokes your displeasure."
- ―Maze Bank Foreclosures description.
The Orbital Cannon is a large circular table in a circular room, with several monitors surrounding the table above. There are five control panels on the table the player can go up to in order to use the weapon.
Players can include the Orbital Cannon when customizing their Facilities at a cost of $900,000.
Once installed, players can target anyone or anything on the map once every in-game day (48 real-time minutes) at a cost of $500,000 per manual fire (or $750,000 for automatic aimed fire) or use it as a surveillance tool at no cost.
The cannon will destroy any vehicle hit by the shot, killing any occupants. The only exceptions to this are the Mobile Operations Center, the Avenger, the Terrorbyte and the Kosatka, where the vehicle will be destroyed, but any occupants inside will simply spawn outside (excludes anyone sitting in the driver and passenger seats).
Avoiding the Orbital Cannon
- Using Lester's Off the Radar or VIP/CEO Ghost Organization can render themselves invisible against the Orbital Cannon. This makes it harder to track down targets and cannot appear on automatic targeting list. The Akula and Ultralight will not protect the occupants from going Off the Radar against the Orbital Cannon.
- Hiding inside the apartment, facility, etc. to lose track of the orbital cannon.
- Going to any underground tunnels and buildings which causes them to disappear from the targeting list.
- Hiding under the parking lot in Pillbox Hill and stay on the first floor. Orbital cannons can shoot through 3 parking lot floors.
- If the player owns a Yacht, they can hide inside the Yacht Bridge and are removed from the automatic targeting from the Orbital Cannon.
|1.42||Added Orbital Cannon in GTA Online.|
|1.43||Targets will now disappear from the Orbital Cannon map when entering underground areas or stores. This results in having less range and cannot be killed if they don't appear on target.|
|1.48||Players can no longer receive a refund if the cannon misses the player using automatic targeting.|
|1.50||Restored the automatic targeting refund temporarily if the player misses. The refund system is now disabled on September 23, 2020.|
- Killing a player with the Orbital Cannon for the first time will award them with the achievement/trophy "Orbital Obliteration".
- A stainless steel model of the Orbital Cannon satellite hanging above a similarly-styled globe of the earth will also appear inside the upstairs lounge on the desk beside the computer.
- Frequent use of the Orbital Cannon may affect the player's Mental State.
- The automatic targeting feature originally allowed refunds to players if their target is missed. This unintentionally entailed an exploit where players could repeatedly target and kill multiple players in a single lobby while receiving a refund as if they had missed the target.
- After The Diamond Casino & Resort update, the mechanic has been adjusted in that a missed automatic targeting no longer refunds players a shot.
- After the Los Santos Summer Special update, the mechanic has been reverted back to its pre-patch restoring the glitch.
- 43 days after the release, the refund mechanic has been disabled again removing the previously restored glitch.