|The following is a list of missions featured in Grand Theft Auto V. For a list of missions in Grand Theft Auto Online, see Missions in GTA Online.|
The following is a list of missions featured in Grand Theft Auto V. In the game, many missions are available at the same time from multiple characters, so this list does not reflect any required chronological order of completion. Each character's respective missions, however, can only be completed in the order listed. And, of course, some characters and their respective missions may not be unlocked until certain missions are completed.
In total, there are 69 story missions, which are the following:
Main story missions
- Prologue: In 2004, Michael Townley, Trevor Philips, and Brad Snider are robbing a bank in Ludendorff, North Yankton. After their car gets destroyed by a train during their attempted getaway from the police, the trio must escape on foot, only for Michael and Brad to get shot, with Trevor being the only one to escape. However, Michael is soon revealed to still be alive and have faked his death.
- Franklin and Lamar: Franklin Clinton and his best friend Lamar Davis must repossess a pair of high-end sports cars and return them to Simeon Yetarian's dealership.
- Repossession: Franklin and Lamar must repossess a green motorcycle for Simeon, which belongs to a member of the Vagos gang.
- Complications: Franklin has to break into Michael's house and repossess his son's car without being detected by anyone on the property.
- Chop: Lamar plans to earn some extra cash by getting into the kidnapping business, as he and Franklin attempt to kidnap a Ballas member named D.
- The Long Stretch: Lamar and his friend Stretch, who has been released from prison, ask Franklin to assist them on a deal with D. However, when the deal turns out to be an ambush by the Ballas, the trio must escape from the Ballas and the cops.
- Father/Son: Michael and Franklin try to save the former's son Jimmy from several gangsters who have stolen Michael's yacht.
- Marriage Counseling: Michael and Franklin must chase a tennis coach who had been caught cheating with Michael's wife. Afterwards, Michael tears down a house that the coach was hiding in, which turns out to be the home of notorious gangland boss Martin Madrazo, who forces Michael to pay for the damage.
- Daddy's Little Girl: Michael and Jimmy go on a bike ride on Vespucci Beach where they have a race. Afterwards, Jimmy shows Michael a boat in the ocean, where Michael's daughter Tracey is "entertaining" some guests at a party. Michael goes and gets her, and as he escapes, two men from the boat attempt to kill the father and daughter.
- Friend Request: Looking for money to pay back Madrazo, Michael reunites with his old friend Lester Crest. Before he can help him, however, he demands a favour: Michael has to infiltrate the corporate headquarters of Lifeinvader and rig a prototype of their latest invention (the Lifeinvader Phone) with a bomb, which is later activated at a press conference, killing their founder and CEO, Jay Norris.
- Casing the Jewel Store: Michael and Lester scout out and plan an upcoming robbery of a jewerly store to pay off the former's debts to Madrazo.
- Bugstars Equipment : Steal an exterminator van.
- BZ Gas Grenades : Steal a van containing gas grenades.
- The Jewel Store Job: Michael and Franklin, aided by Lester and several accomplices, rob a Portola Drive jewelry store.
- Mr. Philips: After seeing a report on the news about the jewelry store robbery and recognizing Michael as one of the culprits, Trevor murders Johnny Klebitz in an outburst and goes to kill more members of The Lost MC before they can retaliate, while monopolozing Blaine County's methamphetamine business from Aztecas leader Ortega.
- Nervous Ron: Trevor is furious after some members of The Lost MC vandalized his trailer in retaliation for his attack on them, and heads to the Sandy Shores Airfield with his friend Ron Jakowski to kill them and take over their arms dealing business as well.
- Trevor Philips Industries: While meeting with Tao Cheng and his translator to hopefully form a business partnership with the Los Santos Triads, Trevor gets a call from Chef, his crystal meth manufacturer, who tells him that the Aztecas are attacking his meth lab, either because they are led by Ortega, who wants to exact revenge on him, or they believe Trevor has kidnapped Ortega (if he killed him earlier).
- Crystal Maze: After discovering that the Triads have instead decided to use the O'Neil Brothers as suppliers, Trevor raids their farmhouse, which doubles as a meth lab, and sets fire to the place, killing most of the brothers in the process.
- Friends Reunited: After his friend Wade Hebert has located Michael in Los Santos, Trevor goes there with Wade to reunite with his old friend, stopping to destroy The Lost's trailer park along the way, and moves in the apartment of Wade's cousin Floyd.
- Fame or Shame: After a tense reunion, Michael and Trevor hear that Tracey is trying out for Fame or Shame and go to the auditions to prevent her from humiliating herself. During the audition, Lazlow Jones performs a sexual pose on Tracey, and the duo pursue him in retaliation.
- Dead Man Walking: Michael reunites with FIB agent Dave Norton, who helped him fake his death nine years prior, and reveals that him robbing the jewelry store is going to cause problems for both of them. He then asks Michael for a favor and has him infiltrate the city morgue to confirm the death of an FIB suspect.
- Three's Company: After meeting Steve Haines, Dave's superior, Michael is blackmailed into working for him and must cooperate with Franklin and Trevor to retrieve Mr. K from the IAA Headquarters.
- By the Book: Trevor must torture Mr. K to extract information that can help Michael and Dave Norton assassinate a suspect.
- Scouting the Port: Trevor, Wade, and Floyd scout out the Port of Los Santos in preparation for the robbery of a Merryweather Security device.
(Freighter and Offshore Method)
(Only Offshore Method)
- The Merryweather Heist: Trevor, Michael, and Franklin rob Merryweather of a high-tech device, whether in the docks or out at sea, only to be forced to return it immediately afterwards.
- Did Somebody Say Yoga?: Michael decides to give yoga a try with his wife and her instructor to see what it's like. However, after Michael attacks the instructor in an outburst, and later unknowingly takes drugs while driving Jimmy back home after visiting Jimmy's friend at Burger Shot, he finds himself abandoned by his family.
- Hood Safari: Franklin, Trevor, and Lamar fight their way through an ambush at Grove Street after a drug deal with Ballas members goes wrong.
- I Fought the Law...: Franklin, Michael, and Trevor must steal an Entity XF and a Cheetah for Devin Weston.
- Eye in the Sky: Franklin and Trevor must steal a Z-Type for Weston.
- Deep Inside: Franklin must steal a JB 700 for Weston.
- The Hotel Assassination: Franklin is asked to assassinate Brett Lowrey, the CEO of Bilkinton Research, to help Lester's stock market manipulation. He then receives a new safehouse in Vinewood Hills.
- Blitz Play: Michael, Franklin, and Trevor must steal agency funds from an armored car.
- Caida Libre: Michael shoots down Madrazo's cousin's plane in order for Trevor to retrieve a package for Madrazo. However, after he refuses to pay them and Trevor beats him and kidnaps his wife Patricia in retaliation, Michael and Trevor find themselves forced to stay out of Los Santos to avoid Madrazo's wrath.
Blaine County Missions
- Paleto Score Setup: Michael, Trevor, and Lester scout out the bank and police of Paleto Bay in preparation for an upcoming job.
- Military Hardware: Steal the military convoy.
- The Paleto Score: Michael, Franklin, and Trevor rob the bank in Paleto Bay to finance a raid on a research facility.
- Derailed: Michael and Trevor hijack a train to nab whatever gold or loot it contains so that they could make amends with Madrazo.
- Monkey Business: Michael, Dave Norton, and Steve Haines infiltrate a research facility to steal a nerve gas, with help from Trevor and Franklin. Afterwards, Trevor returns Patricia to Martin, allowing him and Michael to return to Los Santos.
Los Santos Missions
- Hang Ten: After a confrontation with Floyd and Debra in their apartment, which results in their deaths, Trevor takes over the Vanilla Unicorn strip club.
- Surveying the Score: Michael, Franklin, Trevor, and Lester scout out the Union Depository Tower in preparation for their ultimate robbery.
- Bury the Hatchet: Trevor travels to Ludendorff to discover the truth about the botched heist from nine years prior, with Michael in pursuit, attempting to stop him. After learning that Brad was killed and buried in Michael's place, the pair are attacked by the Los Santos Triads, looking for revenge against Trevor, who capture Michael.
- Pack Man: After stealing the final car for Weston, Franklin, Trevor, and Lamar prepare to deliver all the cars to Paleto Bay, despite the cops' attempt to stop them.
- Fresh Meat: Franklin must find and rescue Michael from the Triads before they kill him.
- Cleaning Out the Bureau: Michael and Lester plan an upcoming job for Steve Haines: to break into the FIB Headquarters.
- Architect's Plans: Franklin follows architect Chip Peterson to a construction site and steals his briefcase with the blueprints of the FIB Headquarters.
- The Bureau Raid: Michael, Franklin, and their accomplices break into the FIB Headquarters to retrieve incriminating information against Steve Haines. Michael uses the opportunity to also delete his criminal record, destroying Haines' leverage on him.
- The Wrap Up: Michael meets with Dave and Steve at the Kortz Center, only for Steve to betray them and attempt to arrest them. After the trio are ambushed by rival FIB members, IAA agents, and a platoon from Merryweather Security, Michael and Dave escape with Trevor's help, who hasn't forgiven Michael, but is willing to work with him in the robbery of the Union Depository, after which, they will be parting ways.
- Lamar Down: Franklin must work with Michael and Trevor to save Lamar from the Ballas after being set up by Stretch. Afterwards, Franklin is approached by Dave Norton and Steve Haines, who demand that he soon kills Trevor.
- The Ballad of Rocco: Michael pursues and kills Rocco Pelosi and his accomplice after they attack Solomon Richards in retaliation for sending Michael after them. Afterwards, Solomon calls Michael for a surprise.
- Legal Trouble: When Devin Weston attempts to have the film studio closed, threatening the end of production for the film he and Solomon have been making, Michael chases after Weston's assistant to retrieve the film reel, soon resulting in her unwilling death.
- Meltdown: Michael and Jimmy attend the premiere of Meltdown. However, Devin Weston arrives to reveal to Michael that he sent a platoon of Merryweather Security to murder his family in retaliation for his assistant's death, forcing Michael to go and save them.
- Planning the Big Score: Michael, Trevor, Franklin, and Lester choose the approach and crew for their upcoming robbery of the Union Depository.
- Stingers: Steal a Police Transporter from the South Los Santos police station.
- Gauntlet: Steal and modify 3 Bravado Gauntlets.
- Driller: Steal a driller from a warehouse in La Mesa.
- Sidetracked: Steal a train in the Grand Senora Desert.
- The Big Score: Michael, Trevor, Franklin, Lester, and their accomplices steal four tons of gold bullion from the Union Depository Tower, escaping from Merryweather Security and the cops in the process.
- Something Sensible: Franklin chases and kills Trevor for Steve Haines with Michael's help, before the duo part ways and return to their own lives (choosing Ending A).
- The Time's Come: Franklin chases and kills Michael for Devin Weston, before returning to his old life (choosing Ending B).
- The Third Way: Refusing to betray Michael or Trevor, Franklin works with them and Lamar to fight off numerous Merryweather mercenaries and FIB agents attempting to kill them. Franklin, Michael, and Trevor then split up to eliminate their remaining enemies, killing Wei Cheng, Stretch, Steve Haines, and Devin Weston, before parting ways and returning to their own lives, but remaining good friends (choosing Ending C).
- The Good Husband (Optional) - Amanda calls Michael, telling him she is in police custody after a misunderstanding at Didier Sachs, and asks for him to rescue her.
- Parenting 101 (Optional) - Jimmy gets kidnapped by internet geeks who he has been "trolling" and calls Michael to ask him to rescue him.
- Doting Dad (Optional) - Tracey calls Michael, telling him she is being followed by a creepy guy and asks for help.
- Strangers and Freaks - Meet random characters and do various jobs for them.
- Property Management - Complete short missions for the player's owned businesses.
- Flight School - Learn how to fly airplanes and helicopters.
- Chaos (Optional) - First Dr. Friedlander session.
- Evil (Optional) - Second Dr. Friedlander session.
- Negativity (Optional) - First phone session with Dr. Friedlander.
- Fucked Up (Optional) - Second phone session with Dr. Friedlander.
- Abandonment Issues - Last Dr. Friedlander session. After the cutscene, Michael must choose to either kill or let Friendlander go.
- Lester's Assassinations - A series of assassinations of various businessmen that Lester gives to Franklin to help his stock market manipulation. (NOTE: The mission "The Hotel Assassination" is an introduction to these side missions, and is the only one required in order to progress through the storyline, which is why it's also listed as a main story mission.)
- The Hotel Assassination: Kill Brett Lowrey, the CEO of Bilkinton Research, after he leaves the Von Crastenburg Hotel. After the mission is complete, Franklin receives a new safehouse in Vinewood Hills.
- The Multi Target Assassination: Kill four jurors across Los Santos that are going to be part of a lawsuit against Redwood Cigarettes.
- The Vice Assassination: Kill Jackson Skinner, the CEO of Facade, when he arrives to meet with a prostitute.
- The Bus Assassination: Kill Isaac Penny, a venture capitalist who plans to take a controlling stake in the Vapid Motor Company, by posing as a bus driver and waiting for him to get on.
- The Construction Assassination: Franklin fights his way through the Mile High Club and kills real estate developer, Enzo Bonelli.
- Despite the fact that both the in-game statistics and the Social Club say Grand Theft Auto V only has 69 missions, the game actually has 79 main story missions. This was likely done to make the 69 reference. This is also due to the fact that the player can not play every mission in one playthrough, as many are dependent on the choices made.