|For other characters of the same name, see Mel.|
- "I'm sorry if the truth hurts, but the integrity and impartiality - the truth and nothing but - are how I roll."
- ―Melanie Mallard
Melanie "Mel" Mallard is a character in the Grand Theft Auto series who appears as a main character in the PlayStation Portable version of Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars. Melanie and her missions are absent in all other versions of the game.
Melanie Mallard, also known as "Mel" by her friends, was born in 1971, and by 2009, she lived in Dukes. At some point prior to 2009, Melanie turned in to the world of film-making, however, she wasn't very successful in her work, failing to get her big break.
Events of GTA: Chinatown Wars
Working with Huang and Chan
Looking to make her big break in journalism, documentary filmmaker Melanie Mallard has made a deal with Chan Jaoming that she believes will help her finally make a name for herself as she captures the Triads’ rule of Liberty City’s drug trade on camera. Huang Lee escorts her around as she films the action.
Betrayal and Death
- "That bitch has betrayed me! How could she treat me like this? I thought we meant something to each other."
- ―Chan Jaoming, upon Melanie's betrayal.
Huang brings Mel to the docks, alongside with Chan. Chan and Huang confront Melanie, who puts the blame on Huang. Chan then says that he loved Melanie, and "love betrayed him". Melanie tries to make Chan spare her life. After a few moments, Chan tells Mel that she can leave. However, as Mel makes her way out, Chan raises his SMG and shoots Mel in the back of the head, killing her instantly.
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
- Parking Pickle
- Dock'u'mental (Boss)
- Factory Fun (Boss)
- Half Cut (Boss/Betrayal)
- Sources (Betrayal/Killed)
- "Help me! Somebody help me!" and "You psycho! Leave me alone!" are the only Melanie's quotes where her voice can be heard during a mission. These quotes can be heard from a random female pedestrian, present in Grand Theft Auto IV.