- "— Master Sounds FM.
— The only place you can hear the original before it got sampled and some jive turkey started chanting over it, and not paying any royalties. Hey, where's my bread, man?
— When you're done stealing bits, gangsters?
— It's all about Master Sounds!"
- — Master Sounds 98.3
- "The world's smallest giant, Johnny Parkinson, takes you on a musical, spiritual and sexual journey with a sound track of nonstop classics. The giants of soul, rare groove and just a little classic funk, hosted by the giant himself. Remember, height is not a number."
- ―GTA San Andreas Website
Master Sounds has a noticeable older sound than the other radios in the game, it has a more rustic, raw funk than what it is heard in Bounce FM or CSR 103.9. Master Sounds could be meant to be an "oldies" or "classics" station, its name being a reference to the master recordings which hold the original tracks from whom the copies meant to be sold are created, and the rare grooves it mentions refer to obscure and hard-to-track songs like those in its playlist. Many of the acts featured in its playlist are a big part of the history of funk.
The station seems to be the choice for casino ambience, as all the songs that play in the casinos are played in Master Sounds.
The station laments that "the '80s not only costed our integrity, we also lost the groove" but it assures "they're bringing it back". It also criticizes rappers, as quoted above, because they sample these classic funk tracks without paying royalties to their authors. In fact, all the tracks in its playlist have been sampled by hip hop acts or have covers that are more widely known (there are even songs on the other radio stations in the game which sample these), and as such the playlist can become a sort of "history lesson". As its host says, "they are on a mission to spread this groove".
Its host, Johnny "The Love Giant" Parkinson is a short guy with a Napoleon complex, and a pimp. He thinks high of himself and gives himself such nicknames as Mr. Love, Mr. Dong-Dong and Big Daddy. He treats women in a womanizing way and makes many sexual comments boasting of his supposed sexual abilities. However, he is bossed around by his mom, even when he's working on the studio.
- * - This song is missing from the re-released versions of the game.
- Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band - "Express Yourself" (1970) *
- Maceo & The Macks - "Cross The Tracks (We Better Go Back)" (1974)
- Harlem Underground Band - "Smokin' Cheeba Cheeba" (1976)
- The Chakachas - "Jungle Fever" (1970)
- Bob James - "Nautilus" (1974)
- Booker T. & the MG's - "Green Onions" (1962)
- The Blackbyrds - "Rock Creek Park" (1975) *
- Bobby Byrd - "Hot Pants - I'm Coming, I'm Coming, I'm Coming" (1971)
- James Brown - "Funky President" (1974) *
- Lyn Collins - "Rock Me Again And Again" (1974)
- Maceo & The Macks - "Soul Power' 74" (1973)
- Bobby Byrd - "I Know You Got Soul" (1971)
- James Brown - "The Payback" (1973) *
- Lyn Collins - "Think (About It)" (1972)
- The JB's - "The Grunt" (1970) *
- War - "Low Rider" (1975)
- Gloria Jones - "Tainted Love" (1965)
- Sir Joe Quarterman & Free Soul - "So Much Trouble In My Mind" (1972)
- The Chakachas' "Jungle Fever" was featured in the first trailer of GTA San Andreas.
- Master Sounds plays inside the Ganton Gym.
- It also plays in the Reece's Hair & Facial Studio barbershop.
- 4 songs from Master Sounds play inside the Casinos, they are: Maceo & The Macks' "Cross The Tracks (We Better Go Back)", Bobby Byrd's "Hot Pants - I'm Coming, I'm Coming, I'm Coming" and "I Know You Got Soul", and James Brown's "Funky President" .
- "Funky President" is one of the 3 songs that play during the dancing minigame at Nightclubs, and the hardest.
- Many of the songs that are played on this station were sampled or covered by other artists and bands, primarily rap, R&B and hip hop artists. Some of those tracks can be heard on Playback FM, Radio Los Santos and CSR 103.9.
- This is the favourite radio station of Wu Zi Mu, Andre, Jizzy B. and Ryder, and one of the favourite stations of the Los Santos Vagos.
- When Police Officers steal other vehicle from pedestrian (if the police car/bikes destroyed) they play Master Sounds.
- In the mobile version, "Funky President" can be heard inside casinos even though it was removed from the radio.
- Radio '76 FM - a funk radio in GTA 1.
- Lo-Fi FM - a funk and soul radio in GTA 2
- Futuro FM - a funk and dance radio in GTA 2.
- Fever 105 - a disco and funk radio in GTA Vice City.
- Bounce FM - a funk and disco radio in GTA San Andreas.
- CSR 103.9 - a new jack swing and contemporary soul radio in GTA San Andreas.
- Paradise FM - a disco and funk radio in GTA Vice City Stories.
- Vice City For Lovers - a soul and R&B radio in GTA Vice City Stories.
- The Vibe 98.8 - an R&B and funk radio in GTA IV.
- K109 - a disco and funk radio in GTA IV and GTA Episodes From Liberty City.
- IF99 - a funk radio in GTA IV that plays a song by War.
- Truth & Soul - a funk and soul instrumentals radio in GTA Chinatown Wars.
- The Lowdown 91.1 - a classic soul and funk radio in GTA V that plays other songs by War and The Chakachas.
- Space 103.2 - a classic funk radio in GTA V.
- blonded Los Santos 97.8 FM - a contemporary R&B and mixed genre radio in enhaced versions of GTA V.