The only place you can hear the original before it got sampled and some jive turkey started chanting over it, and not paying any royalties.
Hey, where's my bread, man?
When you're done stealing bits, gangsters?
It's all about Master Sounds!”
Master Sounds 98.3 is a radio station in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, hosted by Johnny "The Love Giant" Parkinson (voiced by Ricky Harris). The station plays rare groove, classic funk and classic soul.
Master Sounds has an older playlist than the other funk and soul stations in the game. Its playlist has a more rustic, raw funk sound than what is played on Bounce FM or CSR 103.9. Master Sounds' name appears to be a reference to the master recordings from where the copies meant to be sold are created, and the rare grooves it mentions refer to obscure and hard-to-obtain songs like those in its playlist. Many of the acts featured in its playlist played a major role in the history of funk.
The station laments that "the '80s not only cost our integrity, we also lost the groove" but it assures "they're bringing it back". It also criticizes rappers, as quoted above, because they sample these classic funk tracks without paying royalties to their authors. In fact, all the tracks in its playlist have been sampled by hip hop acts or have covers that are more widely known, including on stations such as Playback FM and Radio Los Santos, and as such the playlist can become a sort of "history lesson". As its host says, "they are on a mission to spread this groove".
Its host, Johnny "The Love Giant" Parkinson, is a short pimp with a Napoleon complex. He thinks highly of himself and gives himself such nicknames as Mr. Love, Mr. Dong-Dong and Big Daddy. He treats women in a misogynistic way and makes many sexual comments boasting of his supposed sexual abilities. However, he is bossed around by his mother, even when he is broadcasting.
Prominent Appearances in Storyline
- The station can be heard at the following locations
- Three songs play inside the Casinos. They are: Maceo & The Macks' "Cross The Tracks (We Better Go Back)", Bobby Byrd's "Hot Pants - I'm Coming, I'm Coming, I'm Coming", and James Brown's "Funky President".
- "Funky President" plays during the dancing minigame at Nightclubs.
- The Chakachas' "Jungle Fever" was featured in the first trailer of GTA San Andreas.
- Many of the songs that are played on this station were sampled or covered by other artists and bands, primarily rap, R&B and hip hop artists. Some of those tracks can be heard on Playback FM, Radio Los Santos and CSR 103.9.
- This is the favourite radio station of Wu Zi Mu, Andre, Jizzy B., Cesar Vialpando, Eddie Pulaski, Ryder and one of the favourite stations of the Los Santos Vagos, Taxi Drivers, Sweet Johnson and Big Smoke.
- If a police officer starts commandeering a civilian vehicle when their own vehicle is destroyed, they tune the radio to Master Sounds.
- Despite being removed from the station in the mobile versions of the game, "Funky President" by James Brown can still be heard inside casinos.
- The only song Johnny Parkinson will never make an intro or outro comment over is "Tainted Love" by Gloria Jones.
- Radio '76 FM - a funk radio in GTA.
- Lo-Fi FM - a funk and soul radio in GTA 2
- Futuro FM - a funk and dance radio in GTA 2.
- Fever 105 - a disco and funk radio in GTA Vice City.
- Bounce FM - a funk and disco radio in GTA San Andreas.
- CSR 103.9 - a new jack swing and contemporary soul radio in GTA San Andreas.
- Paradise FM - a disco and funk radio in GTA Vice City Stories.
- Vice City For Lovers - a soul and R&B radio in GTA Vice City Stories.
- The Vibe 98.8 - an R&B and funk radio in GTA IV.
- K109 - a disco and funk radio in GTA IV and GTA Episodes From Liberty City.
- IF99 - a funk radio in GTA IV that plays a song by War.
- Truth & Soul - a funk and soul instrumentals radio in GTA Chinatown Wars.
- The Lowdown 91.1 - a classic soul and funk radio in GTA V that plays other songs by War and The Chakachas.
- Space 103.2 - a classic funk radio in GTA V.
- blonded Los Santos 97.8 FM - a contemporary R&B and mixed genre radio in enhanced versions of GTA V.
- Kult FM - a post-punk and mixed genre radio in enhanced versions of GTA Online that also plays "Tainted Love" by Gloria Jones.
- Media Player - a disco and funk radio in enhanced version of GTA Online.
- Game audio files:
Tainted Love (Intro) Tainted Love (Mid) Tainted Love (Outro).All other songs have three intro and outro files with two of each containing spoken over variations:
(Intro DJ #1), (Intro DJ#2) (Intro), (Outro DJ#1), (Outro DJ#2) and (Outro).