Mark Volpe is a caporegime for the Messina Family along with his brother, Fredo Volpe, the latter of whom has been a police informant since 1998, though many suspect Mark of being the rat. Mark was unaware of his brother's activities and had once sliced off a family enforcer's tongue for suspecting his brother of being a rat. Mark owns several sports betting rings in the boroughs of Liberty City, and is a dedicated mobster. By 2008 his status on the LCPD Database is listed as "missing".
LCPD Database Record
1993 - Extortion
1994 - Manslaughter
1995 - Assault
1996 - Manslaughter
1998 - Promoting Gambling
2000 - Promoting Gambling
- Suspected to be in charge of a sports betting ring that operates throughout the four Liberty City Boroughs; however, he only takes bets on rigged games.
- Believed to have cut out the tongue of a Messina enforcer for suggesting that his brother was an informant.
- "Volpe" is Italian for fox.
- The character's surname may have been inspired by Albert Volpe a crime boss played by actor Carmine Caridi in The Godfather Part III.
- In real life the Volpe brothers were racketeers from Turtle Creek Valley, Pittsburgh who had ties to the Pittsburgh crime family during the Prohibition era.
- It is possible that he and his brother are based on cousins Frank and Edward Lino who were both Capos in the Mafia, one of which (Frank Lino) turned informant against Bonnano boss Joe Massino in 2006.