— Grand Theft Auto: Vice City website.
As the name suggests, the weapon is based on the M60 machine gun, specifically the M60E1 model. Its bipod is folded and the belt box is not inserted. Instead, the bullet belt drapes off the gun, and incorrectly feeds in from the right. Additionally, the front sight is facing backwards.
The M60 is the strongest firearm in terms of damage per bullet; the M60 takes down a police helicopter within 36 rounds, whereas most bullet-based weapons (including the Minigun) need 176 rounds to take one down. Additionally, the M60's bullets knock targets down just like shotguns and the Python, and can aim in first person just like assault rifles, with the bonus of having a 100-round load. It has a long range accuracy, and it is the only Heavy Weapon with which the player can both move to a normal walking pace and jump with it, since the M60 is wielded as an assault rifle. In GTA Liberty City Stories, it has a faster rate of fire than in Vice City.
3D Universe Overview
(m / ft)
|Reload Mechanism||Reload Speed|
|130 (GTA Vice City)||1 (GTA Vice City)||75 / 246 (GTA Vice City)||100 (GTA Vice City)||N/A||500 (GTA Vice City)|
|N/A||460 RPM (GTA Vice City)
625 RPM (GTA Liberty City Stories)
|Cannot be determined||100-round disintegrating belt||Charging handle||0.5 seconds|
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
- Received in the mission Phnom Penh '86, when the player has to kill the remaining gang members inside the house.
- Is one of the acquired weapons in the mission Gun Runner. Can be kept post-mission.
- Little Haiti - Available to buy from Phil’s Place after completion of Boomshine Saigon ($8,000).
- Fort Baxter Air Base - In the west guard tower (Use the Cop Outfit to get in and out unharmed).
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
- Francis International Airport, Shoreside Vale - On roof of a hangar close to a ramp.
- Spawns at each safehouse upon completing all 20 rampages.
- Usable during the AWOL Angel side mission.
- The M60's firing sound is shared with the Hunter's chain gun.
- The weapon model shows the belt feeding from the right side instead of the left for the real M60.
- If the player shoots at a VCPD helicopter while scoped and firing with slow speed, the helicopter gets destroyed much quicker than shooting streight at it with a high firing rate.
- The M60 was originally supposed to be in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, but was cut in development. [ ]
- Combat MG - A similar light machine gun appearing in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, The Ballad of Gay Tony and Grand Theft Auto V.