Grand Theft Auto series
|"Luis" redirects here. For the actor, see Luis Guzman.|
- "Hey, I know who I am. Sure, I do bad shit, but that ain't what I'm going to be forever. "
- ―Luis Fernando Lopez
Luis Fernando Lopez is a character in the Grand Theft Auto series, appearing as a supporting character in Grand Theft Auto IV and The Lost and Damned and the protagonist of The Ballad of Gay Tony. He is also mentioned several times in Grand Theft Auto Online. He is the bodyguard and business partner of Tony Prince.
Luis is of Dominican descent and was raised on Frankfort Avenue of Northwood in Algonquin. His mother is Adriana Yanira Lopez, his older brother Ernesto Lopez and his younger sister Leta Lopez-Wilkinson. His father was a U.S. Marine who abandoned them while they were young. He was raised by his mother, who also had a notable role in the upbringing of Luis' childhood (and current) best friends, Armando Torres and Henrique Bardas. He also grew up with Oscar Gomez and Alonso Gomez, Teddy Benavidez and Willy Valerio, older kids by three years, ushered most of the neighborhood kids into drug dealing. During a drug war, Henrique mentions that Luis used to rap while Henrique "laid down" the beat. Henrique claims that Luis was a poor rapper because people used to laugh at him when he would rap. He was also scrawnier in those years, as Armando and Henrique recall. Henrique at one point reflects on the time the three of them had stolen liquor from Principal Fischer's office, and claims that detention in their school was almost as bad as prison.
When Luis was 17, in 2000, he was sent to juvenile hall for two years because he shot and injured a teacher who "felt up" his sister. Armando and Henrique remember spending the summer of 1999 with Luis, meaning it happened during their next school year. Curiously, this does not appear on his criminal record. Not long after his release in 2001, he had been arrested again for grand theft auto. This likely coincides with him taking the blame for a crime committed by Armando and Henrique (neither of whom were caught) and going to prison. During this stint, also two years, he went from being very skinny to being quite muscular. He got his physique by body-building to help against fighting off inmates to keep himself from getting raped or killed. By this time, his brother and sister had both left Liberty City and started families. As a result, their mother's primary source of income was from Luis.
Luis got in police trouble a third time in 2003, for assault, but avoided prison. This likely coincides with Luis being arrested alongside Oscar Gomez and Willy Valerio - the LCPD goes on for years thinking Luis is still closely connected to them, while in fact this was one of their last times together.
Meeting Gay Tony
In 2005, when Luis was 22, his life changed when he accepted a job from "Gay" Tony Prince to be a bodyguard. It wouldn't take long for Tony and Luis to see each other as a sort of father-and-son pair. He cut all remaining ties with his old gang (except Armando and Henrique as friends), and paid his supposed last visit to an illegal cage fighting ring (though he would return). By working for Gay Tony, his life became much more positive, and while he lost respect from old friends who saw him as a yuppie, he was introduced to much more money and glamor. Tony once paid Luis to take helicopter-flying lessons for business purposes (as shown from his Higgins Helitours piloting certificate in his apartment, as well as the Club Management mission with Bruce Spade), and advanced driving lessions. Unfortunately, Tony was in debt to several loan sharks across the city such as Mori Kibbutz and Ancelotti family soldato Rocco Pelosi.
Events of The Ballad of Gay Tony
Luis begins doing several jobs for Tony, witnessing the bank robbery, and meeting Rocco Pelosi and Uncle Vince in the introduction. He began doing work for his mother and friends (Momma's Boy, Corner Kids and Clocking Off) then began helping Rocco with his work on missions for Tony; he meets multiple gang officials in peace attempts, all of which wage war nearly killing him and Tony. He would then get The Celebinator (...Blog This!) off Tony's back. Tony would introduce him to Yusuf Amir, who got Lopez stealing a Buzzard, APC, a subway train, and killing Tahir Saeed and Ahmed Khalil. He would later work for Mori Kibbutz, one of Tony's loaners; after completing This Ain't Checkers and beating Mori in a Triathlon, he got Tony out of his grasp.
Things only turned worse for Tony after a Bahama Mamas meeting in the mission Boulevard Baby also went wrong. Luis, Evan Moss and Gay Tony would later buy $2,000,000 worth of diamonds, but lose them at the hands of Johnny Klebitz, who kills Evan, but was fortunately able to reclaim them that much later. Luis also discovered how Tony had befriended Gracie Ancelotti.
Luis began working for Ray Bulgarin, who had him deal with his Marki Ashvilli situation alongside Timur, his right-hand; after discovering how Luis bought diamonds that were claimed to be his, he ambushed and betrayed Lopez by having him witness The Cook's dead head and sending snipers, gunmen and choppers after him. Having left him, Luis gets Tony's attention on this; his life is falling apart now.
Thanks to Niko Bellic and Gerald McReary, Gracie Ancelotti is discovered to be kidnapped. Luis, knowing how she pumped Tony with cocaine, refuses to help, but he is ordered by Tony to track her down. When the Ancelotti's, following this mission, fail to reclaim her forcefully, Tony and Luis are forced to give away the diamonds to Niko Bellic and Packie McReary in the mission Ladies Half Price.
Luis is later ordered by Rocco to kill Tony in the mission Party's Over, but kills Uncle Vince, and spares Rocco due to Tony's claims that Rocco is a made man, and at the cost of a heavy ambush. He later destroys the heroin and then kills Timur and Ray Bulgarin in Departure Time. In the last cutscene, Luis is thanked by Tony as he 'saved' his business. Then Yusuf arrives and the three talk about what their near futures, as the player is to decide what happens next.
Because of his role as a celebrity nightclub bouncer, Luis has the opportunity to socialize and even have casual sex with famous, beautiful women. Some people mentioned during the game that Luis has a small penis. It's unproved, but this blame comes from his lovers, and he gets angry when somebody else talks about that. Gracie and Daisie both playfully tease Luis about being a closeted homosexual.
He had been sexually linked to:
- Ms. Adams: Luis' 8th grade teacher, who he slept with while he was in her class around age 14. She is possibly his first, as Armando calls Luis "a victim of child abuse."
- Dani Lupisella: Daughter of the Lupisella mafia don, who threatened to "get her daddy chop my balls off" if or when the relationship ended. During "Blog This!...", Luis tells Gracie Ancelotti, who is interested in him, that he will not date mob daughters because of the experience.
- Joni: A close co-worker of Luis at Maisonette 9, who will sometimes give Luis blowjobs and even sex in the surveillance room and later poke fun at Luis' penis. She is Luis' friend. It is also clear that they have a friends with benefits relationship, but if Luis has sex with a woman in Maisonette 9's bathroom, Joni will scream at him for breaking her heart.
- Monique: The two were dating beforehand, until Luis was caught sleeping with her roommate. In the mission Boulevard Baby, she had not held a grudge on Luis and hooked up with him all over again. She is caught red-handed by her boyfriend Vic (owner of Bahama Mamas) who was been thought to be out of town.
- Monique's roommate: Luis slept with her when he was dating Monique.
- Daisie Cash-Cooze: A British socialite living in Liberty City, who once slept with Luis and avoided him afterwards, even though Luis contacted her a few times. She later recruits his help when a famous actor that she cheated on her boyfriend with, Chris Hunt, is about to humiliate her. Although Hunt releases a compromising sex tape to millions of viewers, Daisie happily marries her boyfriend despite the affair.
- Poppy Mitchell: One of several famous people Luis has had casual sex with. When asked about having sex with celebrities by Cloe Parker (who was drunk and advancing on him), he says it's just like normal sex, except they look at themselves in the mirror.
- Margot: A clingy, mentally unstable ex-girlfriend who Luis dated "over a year ago" in early 2007. She attempts to commit suicide twice over Luis. The first time she fails, she uses painkillers and sleeping pills (Luis drives her to the hospital on time), and then a second time she succeeds as she jumps from a two to three story pier and dies. Luis disperses the area after attracting unwanted attention from nearby pedestrians who believed he pushed her.
- Carmen Ortiz: A Bohan woman that Luis was involved with in 2007 and calls "nasty". Armando Torres and Henrique Bardas were also involved with her, the former still dating her. In an eerie coincidence, she is a potential girlfriend for Niko Bellic in the original game.
- Unnamed: Luis has sex with the unnamed Asian woman in the Maisonette 9 bathroom in "Boulevard Baby".
- In a similar fashion, The player has the opportunity to dance and have sex with random women at Maisonette 9.
- Frickie Van Hardenburg - Murdered when his yacht was destroyed.
- Tahir Saaed - Murdered for tipping off the police in an attempt to get Yusuf out of the picture.
- Ahmed Khaleel - Murdered for tipping off the police in an attempt to get Yusuf out of the picture.
- Jack Duffy - Murdered on orders of Rocco Pelosi.
- Mel Toblowsky - Murdered on orders of Rocco Pelosi.
- Vic Manzano - Murdered for assaulting Monique and attempting to kill Luis.
- Chase Point Dealer - Murdered on orders of Mori Kibbutz.
- Mori Green - Murdered in order to retrieve the diamonds.
- Marki Ashvilli - Murdered on orders of Ray Bulgarin.
- Uncle Vince - Murdered to intimidate Rocco, and to rescue Tony.
- Timur - Murdered for threatening the lives of him and Tony.
- Ray Bulgarin - Murdered for threatening and attempting to kill him and Tony.
- Mr. Santo - If Luis does not take a dive in Momma's Boy, Santo will try to kill Luis, and he must be killed.
- Union Official - Can be killed during Practice Swing, although it has no effect on the mission.
Heinous crimes committed by Luis
- Escaping a botched drug deal with Armando and Henrique.
- Overseeing a heroin shipment with Armando and Henrique.
- Stealing a Buzzard from Frickie Van Hardenburg.
- Stealing an APC from the LCPD.
- Using remote explosives to destroy a crane, a subway train & a private jet.
- Stealing an out-of-service LTA subway car.
LCPD Database record
Luis is depicted as a muscular Afro-Latino man in his mid-twenties. He is of light brown complexion with brown eyes and black hair, has a 'high fade' haircut a small bit of facial hair. He also wears an earring on his left ear and has a small tattoo of his own name on his neck. He usually wears a black and white letterman jacket with jeans and white tennis shoes, or expensive suits for club business. He speaks with a New York Latino accent (which is much thicker in GTA IV and TLaD than it is in TBoGT) and often integrates Spanish into his speech. Before he went to prison he was much scrawnier, but the harsh prison lifestyle forced him to build up his body.
Luis is a person who normally keeps his emotions in check, rarely demonstrating his feelings. Despite this, Luis does care for his mother and friends as he was visually struggling to keep his anger toward Mr. Santo from exploding because of his threatening behaviour around his mother. Luis is also very sarcastic and talks back to people when he needs to. He is also more reasonable and careful than most other people, being a perfect foil to the flamboyant, impulsive Tony.
Luis also shows clear disdain for the 'street thug' lifestyle that landed him in prison, and criticises Armando and Henrique for still living it. Despite this, he still helps out his old friends with drug deals and they repay him with vehicles and weapons. He also shows clear signs of bitterness for the time he spent in prison, though this is because he had to furiously fight off other inmates.
- GTA IV
- The Lost and Damned
- The Ballad of Gay Tony
- Luis' physique is more muscular in TBoGT, and his face has become more detailed. Additionally, he has white sneakers instead of the black ones seen in GTA IV and TLAD.
- Luis is one of three protagonists who kills another protagonist's enemy in the whole GTA series, the others being Niko Bellic and Michael De Santa. Luis kills Niko's antagonist Ray Bulgarin, Niko kills Johnny's antagonist Ray Boccino, and Michael De Santa kills Rocco Pelosi in GTA V, who is one of Luis' enemies in TBoGT.
- Luis' favorite radio stations appear to be San Juan Sounds and RamJam FM.
- It it likely that Luis used to use steroids, as evidenced by if the player kills Troy in the mission I Luv L.C., Tony will comment "What's wrong with you, back on the roids?".
- In GTA V, If the Player heads to Jimmy's room in Michael's house, he will find a magazine called Residue, which shows Luis on the Front Cover.