Grand Theft Auto series
Luis Fernando Lopez is a character in the Grand Theft Auto series, appearing as a supporting character in Grand Theft Auto IV and The Lost and Damned and the protagonist of The Ballad of Gay Tony. He is also mentioned in Grand Theft Auto Online.
Luis is a former member of the Northwood Dominican Drug Dealers, whose life took a completely diffrent turn after becoming the personal bodyguard, business associate, and close friend of "Gay" Tony Prince, a nightclub entrepreneur and owner of both Maisonette 9 and Hercules. Luis is often the more rational and down to earth of the two, regularly finding himself in complicated situations due to Tony's reckless actions, which he has to get them both out of.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Sex life
- 3 Characters murdered by Luis Lopez
- 4 Crimes committed by Luis Lopez
- 5 LCPD Database record
- 6 Physical appearance
- 7 Personality
- 8 Mission Appearances
- 9 Gallery
- 10 Trivia
- 11 Navigation
Luis is of Dominican descent and was raised on Frankfort Avenue of Northwood in Algonquin, Liberty City. His mother is Adriana Yanira Lopez, his older brother Ernesto Lopez and his younger sister Leta Lopez-Wilkinson. His father was a U.S. Marine who abandoned them while they were young. He was raised by his mother, who also had a notable role in the upbringing of Luis' childhood (and current) best friends, Armando Torres and Henrique Bardas. He also grew up with Oscar Gomez and Alonso Gomez, Teddy Benavidez and Willy Valerio, older kids by three years, ushered most of the neighborhood kids into drug dealing. During a drug war, Henrique mentions that Luis used to rap while Henrique "laid down" the beat. Henrique claims that Luis was a poor rapper because people used to laugh at him when he would rap. He was also scrawnier in those years, as Armando and Henrique recall. Henrique at one point reflects on the time the three of them had stolen liquor from Principal Fischer's office, and claims that detention in their school was almost as bad as prison.
In 2000, when Luis was 17, he was sent to juvenile hall because he shot and injured a teacher who "felt up" his sister. Armando and Henrique remember spending the summer of 1999 with Luis, meaning it happened during their next school year. Curiously, this does not appear on his criminal record. In 2001, he had been arrested again for grand theft auto. This likely coincides with him taking the blame for a crime committed by Armando and Henrique (neither of whom were caught) and going to prison. During this stint, about two years, he went from being very skinny to being quite muscular. He built up his physique through body-building to fight off other inmates to prevent being raped or killed. By this time, his brother and sister had both left Liberty City and started families. As a result, their mother's primary source of income was from Luis.
Luis was arrested for a third time in 2003, this time for assault, but avoided prison. This likely coincides with Luis being arrested alongside Oscar Gomez and Willy Valerio - the LCPD believed Luis was still involved with Gomez and Valerio for a few years, although the trio had separated by this time.
Meeting Gay Tony
In 2005, when Luis was 22, his life changed when he accepted a job from nightclub owner "Gay" Tony Prince as his bodyguard. The duo quickly built mutual "father-son" bonds. Luis cut all remaining ties with his old gang (except Armando and Henrique as friends), and paid his supposed last visit to an illegal cage fighting ring (though he would return). By working for Tony, his life became much more positive, and while he lost respect from old friends who saw him as a yuppie, he was introduced to much more money and glamor. Tony once paid Luis to take helicopter-flying lessons for business purposes (as shown from his Higgins Helitours piloting certificate in his apartment, as well as the Club Management mission with Bruce Spade), and advanced driving lessons.
Events of The Ballad of Gay Tony
In 2008, Tony struggles to keep his clubs open and borrows money from several loan sharks across the city, including the Ancelotti Crime Family, but soon becomes heavily in debt. When going to the bank to collect some money for Tony, Luis witnesses a robbery executed by Niko Bellic, Patrick McReary, Derrick McReary and Michael Keane. Luis briefly talks with fellow hostage Eugene Reaper, who then pulls out a gun and shoots Michael, before getting killed by Patrick and Derrick. Shortly after the robbery, Luis arrives at Tony's apartment, where he meets Ancelotti Family members Rocco Pelosi and Uncle Vince, who arrived to collect Tony's debts to the Ancelotti Family's Don, Giovanni Ancelotti. At Tony's pleadings, Luis begins doing jobs for the former in exchange for Tony's debts, quickly growing a dislike for Rocco.
Later, Luis meets with his mother, who is very unsupportive of his current lifestyle and constantly tries to convince him to go to college, but Luis nontheless helps her with her financial problems, this time having to help her with a loan shark that has been giving her problems. He also meets with Armando and Henrique, assisting them on two drug deals, both of which go awry. Later, Luis helps Tony scare a blogger called The Celebinator, so that he would stop posting bad articles about Tony's clubs.
Luis goes on to do jobs for both Yusuf Amir, a real estate developer interested in buying and franchising Tony's clubs, and Mori Kibbutz, another one of Tony's loaners. On one hand, Luis quickly befriends Yusuf and helps him steal various eccentric vehicles, such as a Buzzard, an APC, and a subway car, as well as kill two of his associates, Ahmed Khaleel and Tahir Saeed, who secretly plotted to take over Yusuf's business. On the other hand, Luis grows impatient towards Mori's egocentric attitude while working for him, helping him kill a drug dealer that owed him money and beating him in a Triathlon. Later, Luis helps Mori and his younger brother Brucie, whom he constantly bullies, steal three sports cars, after which he successfully pays all of Tony's debts to him and stops working for him, although Luis later befriends Brucie and speaks to him on several more occasions at Maisonette 9.
After several more jobs for Rocco, Luis learns that Tony and his boyfriend Evan Moss are planning to buy $2,000,000 worth of diamonds from a cook on the Platypus cargo ship. He agrees to accompany them, but they are ambushed by members of The Lost MC biker gang led by Johnny Klebitz. Although Luis manages to kill all bikers pursuing him and Tony, Johnny kills Evan and steals the diamonds, leaving Tony in an even bigger debt towards the Ancelotti Family. Fortunately, Tony later learns that the diamonds are to be exchanged in a deal at The Libertonian and sends Luis to retrieve them. Luis ambushes the deal between Niko Bellic, Johnny Klebitz and the Jewish Mob and successfully retrieves the diamonds, before escaping from the pursuing police in Yusuf's Golden Buzzard.
Later, Luis and Tony meet Ray Bulgarin at Maisonette 9, whom Luis also begins working for, helping him and his right-hand man Timur kill several crooked NOOSE agents in an underground parking lot, and later killing Marki Ashvilli, the manager of Liberty City Rampage, after he refuses to sell Bulgarin the hockey team. However, Bulgarin eventually learns about Luis and Tony's involvement with the diamonds and he betrays and lures Luis into a trap, where he reveals to him that the diamonds originally belonged to him and that he killed the Cook for stealing them from him. Bulgarin then accuses Luis and Tony of trying to steal from him and threatens to have them both killed. Although Luis is able to escape the ambush after killing all of Bulgarin's man, he realizes that he and Tony have made a mistake when getting themselves involved with him and now the entire Russian Mafia will try to kill them.
Luis and Tony's situation only gets worse after Gracie Ancelotti is kidnapped by Niko Bellic on the behalf of an imprisoned Gerald McReary, leading the Ancelottis to threaten Luis and Tony and force them to find out where Gracie was taken. After following Patrick McReary using a helicopter provided by the Ancelottis, the two of them learn where Gracie was held and informed the Ancelottis, but they fail to rescue her. Eventually, Niko and Patrick set up an exchange, with the Ancelottis forcing Luis and Tony to give away the diamonds for Gracie. The exchange goes well at first, until Bulgarin shows up and, after claiming that the diamonds are his, orders his men to kill Niko and Luis and to retrieve them. In the ensuing shootout, Luis and Tony escape with Gracie aboard a speedboat and return her to the Ancelottis, while Niko and Patrick remain to fight with Bulgarin's men over the diamonds, which eventually leads to them falling into a passing garbage truck and be lost forever.
Shortly after the failed exchange, Luis receives a call from Rocco, who asks him to meet him and Uncle Vince in Middle Park. Once there, Rocco reveals to Luis that Giovanni Ancelotti had a meeting with Bulgarin to discuss their recent problems and together they came to the conclusion that either Luis or Tony have to die. Rocco advises Luis to personally kill Tony, so that the Russians and the Ancelottis would leave him and his loved ones alone. Luis reluctantly complies, but when he meets with Tony, Rocco and Vince and Maisonette 9, he changes his mind about killing Tony and shoots Vince instead, sparing Rocco due to his "made man" status. Rocco then flees the club as Bulgarin's men storm in to kill Luis and Tony, but the former is able to fend them off.
Later, Tony prepares to flee Liberty City to escape from Bulgarin's wrath, but Luis explains to him that the time has come to face their problems instead of running away from them. Luis then tells Tony to wait for him in Meadows Park while he headed over to Firefly Island to destroy the Russians' heroin supply. After destroying the heroin and killing all the Russians, Luis is confronted by Timur, who tells him that Bulgarin is preparing to flee Liberty City aboard his private jet at Francis International Airport. After killing Timur, Luis makes his way to the airport and, with the help of Yusuf, who kills all the Russians in his path, arrives just in time to board the plane as it is taking off. After killing Bulgarin, the plane explodes (as Bulgarin was holding a grenade), but Luis is able to parachute himself to safety and arrives in Meadows Park to meet with Tony, who thanked him for "saving" his business. Shortly after, Yusuf arrives and offers to buy Tony's clubs, but he and Luis refuse for the moment, opting to keep them a "family business". As the three of them leave, talking about what their future holds, the diamonds are found in a nearby trash can by a homeless war veteran named Jerry Kapowitz, who runs off with them and later sells them for $2,000,000.
After the completion of the storyline, Luis can call both Mori, who will reveal that he had a change of heart after Brucie punched him in the face earlier and decided to join a real Kibbutz, but still refuses to share his money, and his mother, who will tell him that she is proud of him and will try to convince him one last time to go to college. Also, if Luis tries to call Rocco, his voicemail will reveal that he has left Liberty City.
It is implied that Tony and Luis eventually accepted Yusuf's offer to franchise Maisonette 9 and Hercules and that Tony left Liberty City, as his number is removed from Luis' phone after completion of the storyline.
Events after The Ballad of Gay Tony
Some time before 2018, Tony moved to Los Santos with the intent of opening a successful nightclub there. Tony makes a return in the After Hours update for GTA Online, where he works with the GTA Online Protagonist to open a new nightclub. What happened to Luis is unknown, but a photo of him can be found inside Tony's office at the club, implying that the two of them remained good friends.
Because of his role as a nightclub bouncer, Luis has the opportunity to socialize and even have casual sex with famous, beautiful women. It is mentioned by several people in the game that Luis has a small penis. Whether this is true or not is never confirmed, though Luis becomes angry when it is discussed. Gracie and Daisie both playfully tease Luis about being a closeted homosexual.
He had been sexually linked to:
- Ms. Adams: Luis' 8th grade teacher, who he slept with while he was in her class around age 14. She is possibly his first, as Armando calls Luis "a victim of child abuse."
- Dani Lupisella: Daughter of the Lupisella mafia don, who threatened to "get her daddy to chop my balls off" if or when the relationship ended. During "Blog This!...", Luis tells Gracie Ancelotti, who is interested in him, that he will not date mob daughters because of the experience.
- Joni: A close co-worker of Luis at Maisonette 9, who will sometimes give Luis blowjobs and even sex in the surveillance room and later poke fun at Luis' penis. She is Luis' friend. It is also clear that they have a friends with benefits relationship, but if Luis has sex with a woman in Maisonette 9's bathroom, Joni will scream at him for breaking her heart.
- Monique: The two were dating beforehand, until Luis was caught sleeping with her roommate. In the mission Boulevard Baby, she had not held a grudge on Luis and hooked up with him all over again. She is caught red-handed by her boyfriend Vic (owner of Bahama Mamas) who was been thought to be out of town.
- Monique's roommate: Luis slept with her when he was dating Monique.
- Daisie Cash-Cooze: A British socialite living in Liberty City, who once slept with Luis and avoided him afterwards, even though Luis contacted her a few times. She later recruits his help when a famous actor that she cheated on her boyfriend with, Chris Hunt, is about to humiliate her. Although Hunt releases a compromising sex tape to millions of viewers, Daisie happily marries her boyfriend despite the affair.
- Poppy Mitchell: One of several famous people Luis has had casual sex with. When asked about having sex with celebrities by Cloe Parker (who was drunk and advancing on him), he says it's just like normal sex, except they look at themselves in the mirror.
- Margot: A clingy, mentally unstable ex-girlfriend who Luis dated "over a year ago" in early 2007. She attempts to commit suicide twice over Luis. The first time she fails, she uses painkillers and sleeping pills (Luis drives her to the hospital on time), and then a second time she succeeds as she jumps from a two to three story pier and dies. Luis disperses the area after attracting unwanted attention from nearby pedestrians who believed he pushed her.
- Carmen Ortiz: A Bohan woman that Luis was involved with in 2007 and calls "nasty". Armando Torres and Henrique Bardas were also involved with her, the former still dating her. In an eerie coincidence, she is a potential girlfriend for Niko Bellic in the original game.
- Kay Hartman: Luis has sex with Kay Hartman in the Maisonette 9 bathroom in "Boulevard Baby".
- In a similar fashion, The player has the opportunity to dance and have sex with random women at Maisonette 9.
Characters murdered by Luis Lopez
- Frickie Van Hardenburg - Murdered when his yacht was destroyed.
- Tahir Saaed - Murdered for tipping off the police in an attempt to get Yusuf out of the picture.
- Ahmed Khaleel - Murdered for tipping off the police in an attempt to get Yusuf out of the picture.
- Jack Duffy - Murdered on orders of Rocco Pelosi.
- Mel Toblowsky - Murdered on orders of Rocco Pelosi.
- Vic Manzano - Murdered for assaulting Monique and attempting to kill Luis.
- Chase Point Dealer - Murdered on orders of Mori Kibbutz.
- Mori Green - Murdered in order to retrieve the diamonds.
- Marki Ashvilli - Murdered on orders of Ray Bulgarin.
- Uncle Vince - Murdered to intimidate Rocco, and to rescue Tony.
- Timur - Murdered for threatening the lives of him and Tony.
- Ray Bulgarin - Murdered for threatening and attempting to kill him and Tony.
- Mr. Santo - If Luis does not take a dive in Momma's Boy, Santo will try to kill Luis, leading to Luis killing him in self-defense.
- Union Official - Can be killed during Practice Swing, although it has no effect on the mission.
Crimes committed by Luis Lopez
- Practice Swing - Helping Rocco interrogate a captured Union Official and killing several members of the Messina Crime Family pursuing them.
- Chinese Takeout - Killing numerous Triads attacking him and Tony after some failed negotiations.
- Corner Kids - Escaping a botched drug deal with Armando and Henrique.
- Clocking Off - Overseeing a heroin shipment with Armando and Henrique.
- Drug Wars - Helping Armando and Henrique attack numerous rival gangs to steal their drugs and build their own drug empire.
- Sexy Time - Stealing a Buzzard from Frickie Van Hardenburg and using said Buzzard to destroy Hardenburg's yacht, killing everyone aboard.
- High Dive - Killing Tahir Saeed and Ahmed Khalil, along with several LCPD officers.
- Caught with your Pants Down - Stealing an APC from the LCPD and using said APC to kill numerous officers.
- Bang Bang - Using remote explosives to destroy a crane, a subway train & a private jet.
- Kibbutz Number One - Killing Mori's associate and his men for not paying his debts to Mori.
- No. 3 - Helping Mori and Brucie steal three sports cars.
- Frosting on the Cake - Attending a diamond deal alongside Tony and Evan Moss and killing numerous bikers that ambush the deal and pursue him and Tony.
- Boulevard Baby - Killing Vic Manzano and his guards.
- ...Blog This! - Giving The Celebinator a near-death experience so that he would stop posting bad articles about Tony's clubs.
- Not So Fast - Ambushing a diamond deal between Niko Bellic, Johnny Klebbitz and the Jewish Mob, killing Mori Green, stealing the diamonds, and destroying several pursuing LCPD helicopters.
- Going Deep - Helping Ray Bulgarin and Timur kill numerous NOOSE officers.
- Dropping In - Parachuting into the MeTV building and killing Marki Ashvilli and his guards.
- In The Crosshairs - Killing several of Bulgarin's men who ambushed him.
- For the Man Who Has Everything - Stealing an out-of-service LTA subway car and killing several LCPD officers pursuing him.
- Party's Over - Killing Uncle Vince and numerous of Bulgarin's men.
- Departure Time - Destroying Bulgarin's heroin supply, killing numerous Russian mobsters, including Timur, boarding Bulgarin's private plane, killing Bulgarin and destroying the plane.
Other Crimes Committed (player-determinant)
- Grand Theft Auto
- Resisting Arrest
- Mass Homicide
- Violating Gun Control laws
- Dangerous Driving
- Driving under the Influence
LCPD Database record
2003 - Assault
- Works as a bodyguard for Tony Prince, streetname - Gay Tony.
- Also works as a doorman at Prince's nightclubs Maisonette 9 and Hercules in Lower Algonquin.
Luis is a muscular Afro-Latino man in his mid-twenties. He has brown eyes, black hair, a moustache and stubble on his chin. He wears an earring in his left ear and has a tattoo of his own name on the right side of his neck. His default outfit is a black and white letterman jacket with blue jeans and white tennis shoes (black in GTA IV and TLaD), while he wears a suit with an earpiece while on club business. His artwork depicts him wearing a necklace and a wristwatch on his left wrist, though these do not appear with any of his outfits. He speaks with a New York Latino accent (which is much thicker in GTA IV and TLaD than it is in TBoGT) and often integrates Spanish into his speech. Before he went to prison he was much scrawnier, but the harsh prison lifestyle forced him to build up his body.
Luis is a relatively reserved character, as he rarely demonstrates his emotions or feelings. Despite this, Luis does care for his mother and friends as he was visually struggling to restrain his anger toward Mr. Santo because of his threatening behaviour towards his mother. Luis is very sarcastic and unafraid to stand up to people if he deems it necessary. His reserved, level-headed personality makes him a perfect foil to the flamboyant, impulsive Tony.
Luis also shows clear disdain for the "street" lifestyle that landed him in prison, and criticises Armando and Henrique for still living it and advises them to get legitimate jobs. Despite this, he still helps out his old friends with drug deals and they repay him with vehicles and weapons. He also shows clear signs of bitterness for the time he spent in prison, though this is mainly due to having to fight off other inmates.
- GTA IV
- The Lost and Damned
- The Ballad of Gay Tony
- Luis is one of three protagonists who kills another protagonist's enemy, the others being Niko Bellic and Michael De Santa. Luis kills Niko's antagonist Ray Bulgarin, Niko kills Johnny's antagonist Ray Boccino, and Michael De Santa kills Rocco Pelosi in GTA V, who is one of Luis' enemies in TBoGT.
- Luis' favorite radio stations appear to be San Juan Sounds and RamJam FM.
- In Grand Theft Auto V, if the player heads to Jimmy's room in Michael's house, they will find a magazine called Residue, which features Luis on the front cover.
- Luis is mentioned in the GTA IV and GTA EFLC in-game website Youvebeencelebinated.com, with The Celebinator describing him as "Tony Prince's rent boy princess".