|For the Grand Theft Auto V rendition, see Los Santos Police Department (HD Universe)|
The LSPD houses a branch known as C.R.A.S.H. (Community Resources Against Street Hoodlums, based on an anti-gang branch of the LAPD), of which officers Frank Tenpenny, Eddie Pulaski, and Jimmy Hernandez are members. Tenpenny is also represented as the main antagonistic element throughout the game's entire storyline, and him, along with Pulaski, who is also an antagonist, use their authority as LSPD officers to achieve their sinister ends.
The Police car is the main vehicle of the LSPD. It is a modified Premier with a custom paint job and a light bar. The same vehicle is also issued to C.R.A.S.H. members. LSPD SWAT officers respond in the Enforcer when the player reaches a 4-star wanted level. LSPD officers may be also seen using the Predator wandering around Los Santos waters.
LSPD officers wear a black shirt, black pants, black shoes and a golden shield badge. C.R.A.S.H. members wear the same uniform as above, except with an additional patch on the right arm. LSPD SWAT officers wear a dark blue long-sleeved shirt with a dark blue body armor, dark blue pants with a holster, black boots, dark blue gloves, black balaclava and a dark blue combat helmet with combat googles.
Every patrol officer carries a pistol and a nightstick as their main weapons, although they will also use shotguns when the player has a 3-star or more wanted level. Additionally officers are seen using SMGs in "Reuniting the Families" and Micro SMGs in "End of the Line".
The department's headquarters sit adjacent to Los Santos City Hall in the Pershing Square district of Los Santos, San Andreas. This is where the player re-spawns after being arrested anywhere within Los Santos city limits.
While the LSPD does not have any jurisdiction in Red County, there is a police station just outside Los Santos in Dillimore, it shares the same interior as the LSPD headquarters, indicating it is a joint police station between the Los Santos Police Department and the San Andreas State Patrol, due to the town's close proximity.
Prominent Mission Appearances
- In the underground garage of the Los Santos Police Department headquarters, the player can witness police brutality in the form of one police officer repeatedly punching a random pedestrian model while a second officer taunts or cheers on. This set piece may be inspired by the real-life beating of Rodney King by the Los Angeles Police Department, which eventually triggered the 1992 Los Angeles riots.
- In a beta screenshot, it is possible to see a blond officer, implying there were originally the main officer models before being replaced by the final models with black hair.
- There were LSPD Mavericks and HPV-1000s in the beta version.
- San Andreas Police Department
- San Fierro Police Department
- Las Venturas Police Department
- San Andreas State Patrol
- Motor Officer