The Los Santos County Sheriff's Department (LSSD) is the county law enforcement agency in Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online that operates in Los Santos County, San Andreas, as well as Blaine County, despite the latter being an entirely different county. The Los Santos County Sheriff is based on the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department (LASD).
The LSSD follow a rank and structure system similar to the real world counterpart of the LASD.
- Assistant Sheriff
- Division Chief
- Area Commander
- Deputy Sheriff (Bonus II) (Master Field Training Officer)
- Deputy Sheriff (Bonus I) (Field Training Officer / Detective / Custody Senior Deputy)
- Deputy Sheriff
- Elmore Thickett
- Main Article: Police Stations
- Sandy Shores Sheriff's Station - Alhambra Drive & Mountain View Drive.
- Paleto Bay Sheriff's Office - Paleto Boulevard & Great Ocean Highway.
- Davis Sheriff/Police Station - Innocence Boulevard & Roy Lowenstein Boulevard (strangely, no LSSD deputies or vehicles spawn here as LSPD officers and vehicles appear at the station instead.)
Los Santos County Sheriff's deputies wear a beige shirt and green pants, similar to real LASD deputies. They wear long pants with either a long-sleeve or short-sleeve shirt, where their badges are displayed on the left breast. When wearing a long-sleeved shirt, they also wear a tie. Deputies are equipped with a duty belt, which contains a radio, a pair of handcuffs, magazine pouches, and what appears to be a Glock 17. Some deputies can be seen wearing green campaign hats or brown cowboy hats, both of which feature a seven-point-star hat device, glasses, and beige body armor, which is identical to the NOOSE body armor. The shoulder patches worn by deputies appears to be a low-resolution copy of the actual LASD patch.
Grand Theft Auto V
- There are only two male LSSD Sheriff's in Blaine County. as only two character models are in the game and only have two voices. However, these character models will spawn with random facial features to balance the gameplay, but still have the same two dedicated LSSD voices.
- The badge of the LSSD features a beaver in the center, a parody of the bear in the center of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's badge.
- It is possible for the LSSD to respond to crimes in parts of Vespucci Beach, Del Perro Beach, and Vinewood Hills, despite the fact that those regions would be considered within the LSPD's jurisdiction and thus their responsibility.
- This may be caused by the shore, the water, and parts of Vinewood Hills being considered outside of Los Santos proper, prompting the game to spawn LSSD units instead of LSPD units.
- Occasionally, while pursuing NPCs or the player, The female Deputy Jernigan that spawns at the Sandy Shores Station will have the female LSPD voicelines, as the character model does not have dedicated LSSD voicelines.
- Body armor worn by deputies reads "Police" as opposed to the proper "Sheriff". This is a developer oversight.
- The Paleto Bay Sheriff's Office was enterable in the beta version of Grand Theft Auto V. It can still be entered during Business Battle - Police Station in Grand Theft Auto Online. The interior was not changed.
- The star on the deputies' shirts and hats appear to be based on the stars used by the El Paso County Sheriff's Office in Texas, albeit with the red ring around the center white star colored blue.