|For other uses, see Leon|
- "You greaseballs wanna put holes in each other, I don't give a shit. All I care about is my cut."
- ―Leon McAffrey
Leon McAffrey was born in 1956 and raised in Liberty City who, at some point, joined the Liberty City Police Department, later becoming a corrupt officer and making contact with Salvatore Leone, the Don of the Leone Family, eventually going on Salvatore's payroll.
He apparently killed some of his former partners, including one who had a wife and children. And also had contacts in Italy he gathered information from.
In 1998 he had a dispute with Ned Burner who owed him money. According to Leon, Ned had agreed to pay him $20,000 for an unknown favour, but only paid him $5000 in the end. As a result of this, he sent Ned an e-mail in which he threatened to kill him and get away with it because of his position in law enforcement. Ned argued that the $20,000 they agreed to was in exchange of four stories for him to publish, whereas Leon had sent him only one, which was his reason to give him $5000 instead of $20,000 to keep in proportion.
He is introduced to and employs Toni Cipriani to kill the Sindacco Family members, lure the Forelli Family into an ambush with the Uptown Yardies, fight organized crime in Belleville Park, help the Uptown Yardies hold on to Newport and destroy Forelli weapons being transferred to a new location.
Following the arrest of Salvatore Leone, Leon phones Toni to say that the two never met, cutting ties with the Leone Family.
McAffrey continues to work with the LCPD and with his new partner, Ray Machowski, a law abiding police officer who eventually also becomes a corrupt officer. His crimes and links with organized crime become evident to the LCPD and he agrees to turn states evidence against Machowski, now working for the Yakuza. When he learns of this, Machowski sends Claude to kill him, but McAffrey somehow survives and is taken to the hospital. When Ray learns that Leon survived, he instructs Claude yet again to kill him, this time succeeding.
Prominent Appearances in Missions
- Grand Theft Auto III
- Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
- Sayonara Sindaccos (Boss)
- The Whole 9 Yardies (Boss)
- Crazy '69' (Boss)
- Night of the Livid Dreads (Boss)
- Shoot the Messenger (Post-mission phone call)
- Munitions Dump (Boss)
- Love on the Rocks (Post-mission phone call)
- His model in GTA III is the same as a pedestrian seen in Portland Island.
- For some reason, in Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, his missions are marked with an 'R' on the map.
- In Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, McAffrey is not seen outside of cutscenes, except for the mission "Sayonara Sindaccos".
- His bandaged model from the GTA III still in the Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories files, but its not used in-game.