A law enforcement agency (LEA) is a government agency responsible for the enforcement of the laws. In the Grand Theft Auto series, these agencies, most notably police forces, serve as the protagonist's main border from causing different crimes.
Role and behavior
Law enforcement agencies are used to enforce the laws on the streets. Members of such agencies will become hostile at other pedestrians, should they witness them doing any type of crime. As of result, they will either chase or kill criminals, depending on the situation (i.e. arrest the suspect if they are not hostile, or kill the suspect if threatened).
Under this category comes also the player's character, who can commit a large number of crimes ranging from hijacking to murder. The attention the player receives from the agencies is dependent on the player's wanted level, as local police departments will respond to "small" crimes, while commando units will respond to much more serious scenarios.
In The 3D Universe at:
- 1 star: Nearby officers will attempt to bust the player.
- 2 stars: Police cars will be dispatched and attempt to shoot the player.
- 3 stars: A Police Maverick will be dispatched.
- 4 stars: SWAT units will be dispatched
- 5 stars: The FBI will join the pursuit.
- 6 stars: The Military will join the pursuit with Rhino tanks.
* - mentioned only
- Law Enforcement Agencies in 2D Universe
- Law Enforcement Agencies in HD Universe
- United States National Guard
- DBP Security
- Patrol Invest Group
- Gruppe Sechs
- Wanted Level in 3D Universe