Lamar Davis is a character in the Grand Theft Auto series who appears as a central character and deuteragonist to Franklin Clinton in Grand Theft Auto V and a main character in Grand Theft Auto Online, also as one of the two playable characters of the Short Trips mission series and the Double Down Adversary Modes, along with Franklin Clinton, as part of The Contract update.
Lamar is the best friend of Franklin Clinton and lives in Chamberlain Hills. He is described as "crazy" by Rockstar Games. It appears that Lamar is a drug dealer and gang-banger due to Franklin's comments about Lamar's "slingin' dope" and "throwing up gang signs." He is a member of the Families street gang. Lamar was working as a repossession man for Premium Deluxe Motorsport until Simeon Yetarian fired both Lamar and Franklin.
Lamar and Franklin both attended Davis High School together when they were teenagers. Eventually, the pair became involved in crime.
Events of Grand Theft Auto Online in 2013
Lamar picks up the Online Player from the LSIA, where it is revealed they have been in contact online on Lifeinvader for a while. If female, Lamar attempts to hit on the player, but to no avail. Lamar hands them a pistol, and will take the player to a car park and partake in a race with them. After the race, Lamar takes the player to meet Gerald, where he assigns a job. After the player reaches level 50, Lamar calls the player to tell them that he can provide a mugger to mug anyone the player chooses.
Lamar introduces the player to Benny and his shop, Benny's Original Motor Works and will begin to give players missions to do so Lamar can rise to become the "King of Los Santos." His attempts to rise to the top include attempting to get the Vagos and Ballas into a gang war with each other and stealing lowriders, but these result in detrimental side effects. Because of Lamar's actions, Gerald gets arrested by the police, and loses trust with the Families and has to make amends. Ultimately, Lamar receives a reality check and realizes that his dreams of rising to the top are little more than dreams, thanking the player for helping him realize that.
Events of Grand Theft Auto V
Lamar is first seen doing a repossession job in Vespucci Beach with Franklin. The two encounter Michael De Santa, who unknowingly gives them directions to the property where they have to repossess the cars. Lamar and Franklin discover the cars, a 9F Cabrio and a Rapid GT, and race them through Los Santos back to the dealership. Soon after, Lamar and Franklin are assigned by Simeon to repossess a Bagger in a Vagos-controlled area of Vespucci. While searching for the motorbike, the pair are confronted by Vagos gangsters and are forced to fight their way out of the neighborhood. The two find the bike, but the owner is killed in the action. Knowing that the repossession is now meaningless, Lamar keeps the bike for himself and eventually gives it to Franklin.
Around the same time Simeon fires both of them for the bike theft and Franklin being forced by Michael to drive another repossession through the shop window, Lamar brings Franklin along to kidnap a Ballas thug named D, for no other reason than that Lamar saw "opportunity." With the help of Chop, the two succeed in kidnapping D; however, they are forced to set him free when Lamar inadvertently reveals their location.
Lamar and the recently released Stretch drop by Franklin's house in Strawberry and the trio goes to a drug deal with D. However, to the trio's surprise, D had set them up with the Ballas. Stretch kills D, and the trio shoot their way out of the building together, making a run for it to escape from the oncoming police.
When Franklin returns to his old house, Lamar and Denise heckle him for being neglect of the CGF, as Franklin wants to move on from his gang-banging lifestyle. As he's bashing them for trying to drag him back into a life that hasn't done anything for him, Franklin's acquaintance Trevor suddenly appears, claiming he wants to make new friends. Though reluctant to do so, Lamar lets Trevor accompany him and Franklin to a drug deal. The deal turns out to be a scam, however, and a shootout ensues. In the heat of the battle, the LSPD show up, forcing the trio to escape into the nearby Los Santos River. They steal three jet skis and ride out into the open ocean, putting distance between them and the cops. Depending on who the player is controlling, they can either have all the characters go off on their own or pair up with another character to escape from the cops. Should Franklin follow Lamar, Franklin figures out the whole thing was a set-up by Stretch in an attempt to get rid of Lamar.
Lamar is later told by Trevor that Franklin is stealing high-end cars for multi-millionaire businessman Devin Weston and tracks him to the Hayes Autos garage on Little Bighorn Avenue using his GPS. Devin notices the tension between the two and suggests that Lamar is the "spirit" and Franklin is the "brains" of their two-man operation. Franklin leaves with Devin, and Lamar discusses the possibility of working together. Lamar later steals a Monroe for Devin and, with Devin's collection complete, works with Trevor and Franklin to transport them north of Paleto Bay, which they successfully manage despite receiving police attention. The trio arrive at their destination and Franklin is told that their payment has been reinvested, and will only be paid once the police interest has died down, annoying the trio.
With the help of Stretch, Lamar sets up a drug deal with the Ballas at the Paleto Forest Sawmill in Blaine County. The deal turns out to be yet another set up, however, and Lamar is kidnapped by the Ballas. When Franklin learns of this, he contacts Trevor and their friend Michael to help rescue him. They proceed to kill the Ballas, after which, Franklin takes him home. On the way there, Lamar and Franklin get into a small dispute, where Lamar blasts Franklin for seemingly abandoning him for his new crew and never really having his back, especially since he was never properly reimbursed for his role in Devin's car thefts. Taking this personally, Franklin lambasts Lamar over the fact that he knew Franklin was never payed for the job and gets on him over Franklin's many efforts to save Lamar from problems that he got himself into only to walk back into trouble, with Franklin additionally advising him to remain civilized, stay out of trouble, and that he should get some real work instead of feeding his blind adherence to the routine gangbanging lifestyle, though they both agree that Stretch had sold out to the Ballas while in prison and likely set up the deal to kill Lamar as a sign of loyalty to his new crew. As their argument ends, Lamar overhears Steve Haines and Dave Norton meeting Franklin around the corner and ordering him to kill Trevor when the time is right. As the agents drive away, Lamar asks Franklin who they were, to which an annoyed Franklin brushes off.
The Third Way
If Franklin chooses to save his friends instead of kill them, he will call Lamar and explain his intent to save his mentors and eventually take out all of their enemies. Impressed, Lamar instantly volunteers to help Franklin, who picks up Lamar and takes him to the Grand Banks Steel Foundry, where Haines and Weston were told that the gold from a recent heist that Franklin took part in was located, in order to lure their forces there to take them out. Franklin, Lamar, Michael and Trevor take positions around the foundry and defend themselves from the waves of FIB agents and Merryweather operatives.After killing the oncoming forces, the trio re-group, but Lamar does not join them. Michael offers to kill Stretch for Lamar and Franklin due to him setting up Lamar and trying have them both killed. Lamar is not seen again, but he later phones Franklin to let him know that he is alive. After the mission, the player can still hang out with Lamar for friendship activities as Franklin or Trevor.
Something SensibleLamar calls Franklin saying that he was right about Stretch, and that he will need to lay low for a while. After this, Franklin will only be able to hang out with Lamar at night. He also sends a text message to Franklin to ask if he knows anything about Trevor's death, though Franklin responds by claiming Trevor was killed by government agents.
The Time's ComeLamar calls Franklin saying that he was right about Stretch, and that he will need to lay low for a while. After this, Franklin will only be able to hang out with Lamar at night. He also texts to Franklin to ask if he knows anything about Michael's death, but Franklin claims he knows nothing about it.
Events of Grand Theft Auto Online
Los Santos Tuners
While he does not physically appear in GTA Online: Los Santos Tuners, his Emperor (custom license plate LAMAR G) can be sometimes be found inside the LS Car Meet warehouse, meaning that he attends the LS Car Meet as of July 2021.
By December 2021, Lamar has become the head of his own marijuana business, LD Organics, and contacts the GTA Online Protagonist about Franklin running his own company, F. Clinton and Partner, and he offers the protagonist a job with Franklin's company and also to assist Franklin in running said company.
Lamar goes to the agency to visit Franklin and finds that Franklin has instantly given the GTA Online Protagonist a "Partner" position instead of him, which angers him, going on to rant about how Franklin cut him out of the deal even though he was the one that asked the protagonist to help Franklin in the first place. Just as Franklin is about to pay him his fees, Lamar denies them and says that he has his own deals to deal with and tosses out a bag of his own product sample, which Franklin finds to be of extremely good quality, after which both go back to Franklin's office to have a smoke.
Lamar then visits Franklin again to ask for the sample back as he needs it for his other businesses and could not find it himself in Franklin's office. Just as they are bickering whether Lamar is a part of the agency's staff, Imani notices Chop has stumbled into the room, drooling and staggering around while walking towards them. Franklin and Lamar think that it might be his old age, but Lamar still goes up to inspect him. Just as Lamar bends down to look at him, he notices that Chop has dialated eyes and instantly knows he has accidentally eaten the marijuana sample that Lamar has given to Franklin. Relieved, he starts joking about having to feed Chop a whole bunch of snacks later on. Imani then breaks their conversation by asking how they should deal with their major client, which prompts Lamar to become curious, going to peek at the computer only to find out that Franklin's major client is actually none other than Dr. Dre himself. Lamar then asks for Franklin's help in promoting LD Organics to Dre while both of them carry Chop out of the room by his legs.
Soon after, Lamar goes back to Franklin's office and finds the half-eaten bag of the sample that Chop has munched through, and he brings it up to show Franklin, at which point he realizes that Dre is present. He instantly tries to promote his product to Dre, in which Dre is uninterested, with much annoyance telling Lamar to stop, with Franklin also butting in to tell Lamar they have more important things to handle. Just as Dre is leaving the agency, he gives Johnny Guns a call and demands his phone and scores be returned, with Franklin promising Dre that he will do all he can to get the items back. Meanwhile, Lamar is frantically waving his sample, trying to get Franklin to put in a good word for him in Dre's prescence. After Franklin fails to do that and berates Lamar for always messing things up, both start bickering again.
After the GTA Online Protagonist deals with Dr. Dre's problem, DJ Pooh invites Lamar, Franklin, the GTA Online Protagonist and an associate for a tour inside Dr. Dre's recording studios. Lamar attempts to make his own rap with a beat DJ Pooh provides him, while the GTA Online Protagonist and his associate takes a smoke in the room next door. Before Franklin is about to smoke, Lamar refers to Tanisha getting annoyed if he gets high, implying that they are married. When Franklin and Lamar checks out on their partners however, they become so high that they "experienced an out-of-body experience".
Lamar then pulls Franklin out to deal with some business and ask DJ Pooh to look after his partners for them. Franklin and Lamar travelled to Lamar's warehouse to check on his storage of weed. When they reached the warehouse, Lamar realized that the warehouse was getting raided by the Vagos and both fight to get the truck back. Chop also helped fight some of the Vagos by biting one of them and leading the two to enter the warehouse. Just as they cleared the warehouse of Vagos and were about to leave the compound, they saw the truck being driven off but it was oddly following the Stop signs and traffic lights. They ran to hide in the back of the truck as it was being driven off. However, both of them started bickering as soon as the truck started moving, alerting the driver of a hit and this engaged the entire Vagos hitsquad to shoot at both Franklin and Lamar along the road till they reached an alleyway opposite the Oriental Theater.
As Franklin and Lamar managed to shoot down the rest of the Vagos and took back the keys to the truck, they returned to the truck with Lamar even thinking of smoking his stock before leaving the premise, only for the truck to be destroyed due to the gunfire it has sustained along the way, right in front of the both of them. Lamar, furious with the outcome, walks away with the mission ending.
Soon after, Lamar asks for Franklin's assistance in storming the Vagos' weed business in Blaine County and destroying it as payback for them having destroyed his stash in the Mule Truck. They reach the Vagos' first weed warehouse on Marina Drive near the Alamo Sea and fight off the Vagos. After defeating them, they pick up Jerry Cans containing flammable Fertilizer that they pour over the weed and set on fire to burn it all down and exit the first warehouse. More Vagos arrive in weaponized Technicals, and the two escape and fight them off using the mounted minigun on the Technical while being chased by Vagos in Mananas and Buzzard Attack Choppers.
They eventually reach the Vagos' next warehouse on Chianski Passage near Grapeseed where they use fertilizer again to set the weed on fire. They then take one of the Vagos' Youga Classic filled with cases of weed to Fraklin's house, again while fighting off Vagos along the way, now in Ballers and Faction Customs. Here, a cutscene plays out very similar to the "yee-yee ass haircut" scene from Franklin and Lamar in Grand Theft Auto V. Here, Franklin does not let Lamar get inside his house because "his kids are inside".
After a while, Lamar starts by showing Franklin his new LD Organics van which is "made of weed". He says that the entire van is made of "LD Organics Patented Marijuana Bioplastic". Franklin considers this a bad move and asks Lamar how he's planning to put it in a blunt if it's a part of the van itself, to which Lamar just asks him to follow along.
He tells Franklin that he was able to make a connection with Jimmy Boston from the Epsilon Program to promote LD Organics as having a celebrity would definitely make the brand into a big thing. However, Franklin, having been in the big scene and interacted with people with big personalities, warns Lamar of the oddities of such famous people and tells him to be careful of "them Kifflom freaks" as they are known to be shady but Lamar downplays it, but tells Franklin to be ready with a sniper in a nearby crane just in case. As they are about to reach, Lamar mentions that he posted a selfie of himself at his "top-secret location" on Snapmatic with a caption that had given it all away to the Vagos. When they reach the meeting point with Jimmy at the Redwood Lights Track, Lamar and Jimmy talk business with Marnie Allen as Jimmy's sidekick.
Jimmy wanted to transform Lamar's van made of weed into a truck with Jimmy Boston's face on it, to serve as an advertisement for Boston Bakes, i.e. Jimmy's own brand of weed, however Lamar is annoyed at seeing this as he obviously wanted to spread his own brand name. While they were talking, Franklin calls Lamar aside and warns him not to go through with this deal as the Vinewood elite always try to take away all the recognition. As they were talking, Franklin suddenly sees a lot of Vagos coming towards them in Primo Customs and warns him about it. Lamar immediately tells Jimmy and Marnie to get away while Franklin and Lamar clear the area of impending Vagos who had come to the deal with extremely strong firepower. Once the area is cleared, Franklin and Lamar start driving the van back into the city.
Franklin tells Lamar that he had expected Jimmy to con Lamar out of his own business way before they had even gone to meet Jimmy. Along the way they encounter the rest of the Vagos hitsquad, while the van starts burning in the sun's heat, causing both of them to get high while driving. Initially, they assume that the smell is coming from someone else smoking nearby and that the entire city has the smell, but they eventually realise that it is their own van burning. They manage to get fight off the Vagos while initially trying to get back to Lamar's compound. Lamar, seeing an opportunity, decides to drive the van towards Tequi-la-la where there is a crowd and lets the van continue burning, planning to use it as a publicity stunt to show the world how great his product was. However, as Lamar was at the wheel and was high, he couldn't stop the van in time and ended up crashing it against the wall of the club. As people started coming out to see what had happened, they started feeling the effects of the burning weed and everyone starts enjoying it. A lot of people started taking pictures and cheering for LD Organics. Lamar then celebrated with Franklin as both promoted "LD Organics". Franklin then mentions that he needs to get home to Tanisha, and after a short banter with Lamar offering Franklin an "internship" at LD Organics, Franklin walks down the road in style.
When describing Lamar, Rockstar Games' Dan Houser said that even though he is crazy, he is a "good kind of crazy," and also a "very funny" main character, while his best friend, Franklin, is the opposite of him. He is very prideful of his Apache descent and uses this to explain himself and is the basis of several of his jokes.
During missions in Grand Theft Auto V, Lamar is lazy and tends to get himself in trouble by blindly trusting anyone offering him money. He isn't very bright, either. A prime example of Lamar blindly trusting anyone offering him money and not being very smart is accepting a deal with D, the Balla he previously tried to kidnap. This deal was quickly revealed to be an ambush for revenge. He constantly gets himself, Franklin and others into situations that common sense would normally keep people away from. An example is the mission Hood Safari, where Franklin, Lamar, and Trevor go to Grove Street to make a drug deal. Had Trevor not been there to uncover the possible rip-off, Lamar would've ended up buying a brick of drywall. In Lamar Down, Lamar also seems to be annoyed with Franklin and claims that Franklin ignored him and the hood since he moved to Vinewood Hills. Lamar is generally an unsuccessful criminal, as all the heists he plans end up with him penniless and nearly dead.
Lamar appears to play the role of comedic relief as a sidekick to the more grounded and reasonable Franklin. His character is somewhat trivialized—despite being a violent and ruthless gangster (for example, at one point, Lamar contemplates betraying Simeon and taking his business), he never harms anyone outside of in-game shoot-outs, and generally projects an image of a harmless, clownish character.
Lamar is also quite cowardly, since on one occasion, when the Vagos arrive at Benny's Original Motor Works, he retreats into the shop in order to avoid confrontation, even comically making up an excuse that he left a pot on a stove and later telling the GTA Online protagonists to pretend they don't know him.
Lamar is a loyal friend to Franklin, as seen in the "Deathwish" ending, where, upon realizing Franklin was consciously 'doing something for [his] homies for a change', he assists Franklin, Michael, and Trevor, although Franklin warned him that he will most likely die.
During friend activities, Lamar can mention that he dislikes Michael.
He also seems to be close to his mother because he has "Mom" tattooed on the right side of his neck.
Murders Committed by Lamar Davis
- Unnamed Vagos member - Murdered for aiming a gun at him and trying to kill him and Franklin to prevent them from repossessing the bike.
- Unnamed Vagos driver - Murdered by either Lamar or Franklin for stealing the LD Organics business truck.
- Several Vagos members in Blaine County - Murdered by Lamar and Franklin for attacking his warehouse.
Prominent Appearances in Missions
Grand Theft Auto V
- Franklin and Lamar
- Complications (Post-mission phone call)
- Chop (Boss)
- The Long Stretch (Boss)
- Fame or Shame (Post-mission phone call)
- Hood Safari (Boss)
- Deep Inside
- Hang Ten (Post-mission phone call)
- Pack Man
- Lamar Down
- Something Sensible (Option A/Post-mission phone call)
- The Time's Come (Option B/Voicemail/Post-mission phone call)
- The Third Way (Option C)
Grand Theft Auto Online
- Mall or Nothing (Boss)
- Ballas to the Wall (Boss)
- San Andreas Seoul (Boss)
- Ticket to Elysium (Boss)
- Going Down the GOH (Boss)
- Caught Napping (Boss)
- Lost MC RIP (Boss)
- No Smoking (Boss)
- Community Outreach (Boss)
- Slow and Low (Boss)
- It's a G Thing (Voice/Boss)
- Funeral Party (Boss)
- Lowrider Envy (Boss)
- Point and Shoot (Boss)
- Desperate Times Call For... (Voice/Boss)
- Peace Offerings (Boss)
The Contract: Dr. Dre
- Short Trips
- Short Trip - Seed Capital (Boss; Playable character)
- Short Trip - Fire It Up (Boss; Playable character)
- Short Trip - OG Kush (Boss; Playable character)
- Adversary Modes
- Double Down (Playable character; "Hold Outs" Team)
Services (GTA Online)
|Service||Description||In-Game Effect||Cost||Level Requirement|
|Mugger||Choose a player to be targeted by a Mugger who will steal a portion of their cash||The targeted player will be knocked unconscious by the Mugger and will have up to $10,000 stolen (dependent on rank of victim). Only money not in the bank can be stolen. If the targeted player is in a vehicle, the player will simply be pulled out and knocked unconscious. The Mugger can be killed when they are running away, which allows players to take the stolen money.||$1000||50|
Grand Theft Auto V
Grand Theft Auto Online
- When in a car with a wanted level, he will simply stick the middle finger up at cops instead of shoot back, similar to what he does when he is not in a vehicle.
- As revealed in IGN's hands-on preview of Grand Theft Auto V, Franklin did not own Chop before GTA V, Lamar did. It was previously believed that Chop was always Franklin's dog. After the fifth mission of the game (called "Chop"), Chop the dog moves to Franklin's house because of the troubles Lamar has gotten into. In some cutscenes, Lamar is seen with Chop even after he was moved to Franklin's house, indicating that Lamar still had free access to Chop. However, this is only seen before Franklin moves to Vinewood Hills, and it is revealed in The Contract update in Grand Theft Auto Online that Franklin becomes the permanent owner of Chop.
- Lamar's favourite radio stations are West Coast Classics and Radio Los Santos.
- Lamar is the only non-playable character not to be billed alphabetically in the ending credits.
- Lamar does not hold resentment for the Ballas, as heard while hanging out with Franklin very early in the game. He then explains that so many members from both the Ballas and the Families have been killed over the years, and says that each gang should remain on their own turf, and nothing should go wrong. Ironically enough it was Lamar's idea of kidnapping D that lead to the continued hostility between the Families and the Ballas (even though the kidnapping had nothing to do with the Families), and also his to enlist the GTA Online Protagonist to spark a war between the Ballas and the Vagos during the events of GTA Online: Lowriders.
- Lamar is one of the few characters that makes a reference to one of the protagonists' Special Ability; during the car chase in the mission Chop, Lamar will say to Franklin to use that "special driving thing that he does". He also claims that Franklin "looks funny" while he does so, saying that Franklin makes a "sex face" while using the Special Ability.
- In the mission Pack Man, he will reveal to Trevor that he met JB Bradshaw (Tonya's boyfriend) in a threesome, in which they accidentally "crossed swords". This is also mentioned by JB on Lamar's Lifeinvader page.
- Lamar has many similar character traits to Sweet Johnson: aside from having similar voices, both are loyal members of the Families gang (CGF and GSF respectively), both of them never plan to move out of their respective neighborhoods, both of them are taller than their respective protagonists, and both constantly criticize and accuse the protagonists of selling out and leaving them and the neighborhood behind (Franklin and Carl respectively).
- If the player enters the in-game website PsychicShoutout and speaks with Mrs. Marcy as Franklin, she will say that she sees Lamar in her visions, having sex on Franklin's bed. This is the possible hint that Lamar has a much closer relationship with Denise Clinton, due to his multiple positive comments about her appearance. Another reference on that matter is that during the mission Hood Safari, Lamar is seen going out of Franklin's house with her, both supporting each other.
- During cutscenes, Lamar is noticeably taller than Franklin, but upon transitioning to gameplay, he appears to be slightly smaller than Franklin; it is unknown why this happens.
- Lamar's height is often mentioned by the other characters, Franklin even shouts "Where the tall dude at?!" during the firefight in Lamar Down.
- In Grand Theft Auto Online, if the player is male, Lamar will mention that the player is shorter than he thought. If the player is female, he will attempt to hit on her but will be rejected.
- On West Coast Classics, DJ Pooh will occasionally do a shout-out to Lamar, making fun of his name and his gangbang mentality, and tells him to "get his act together."
- During Mall Or Nothing, Lamar's "player" rank will be 99.
- In Grand Theft Auto Online, a watch identical to Lamar's can be purchased. It is named as the Deep Sea Watch.
- When hanging out with him, Lamar will not draw a weapon when the player does. However, he will punch any unarmed opponents. Also, he won't shoot any police officers when getting a wanted level, he will simply flip them off and taunt them with insults (e.g. "Eh, fuck you!", "Fuck you, you bitch-ass bitch!"). Oddly enough, if he is killed during a hangout session, he drops a pistol, so it's possible this is actually just a glitch that has yet to be fixed.
- The only times Lamar appears outside of missions and friend activities is in Franklin's early SWITCH cutscenes before The Hotel Assassination mission, in which Lamar is fighting with either the LSPD or gang members.
- In the GTA Online introduction, if the player selects the Fugitive as starting car, Lamar Davis mentions he used to own a Cheval Fugitive. He will start talking how it's a good drive-by car, but won't finish his sentence and simply claim it's a good car.
- Lamar has a set of unused clothing in the game's files: A red polo shirt with a white sweater undershirt, black shorts, black and white sneakers, a glove on his left hand, a black ProLaps cap (golf clothing, suggesting that he could play golf with Franklin and Trevor in the beta, but cannot in the final version), a green San Andreas Magnetics t-shirt, a white headband, a black motocross helmet that has "WEST SIDE" written on its back (suggesting that he originally wore a helmet while riding on a motorcycle), a gray baseball cap with a "B" on it, a green LS cap turned backwards and a pair of black glasses with orange shades.
- In Director Mode, if the player chooses Lamar as an actor and travels to Families hang out spots, members of the gang will interact with Lamar and he can interact with them back (when pressing the interact button), they'll greet him.
- In the Short Trip missions in The Contract DLC, the background of Lamar's interaction menu is marijuana leaves similar to that of Franklin's, albeit larger.
- Although Lamar cannot hang out with Michael, he can hang out with both Franklin and Trevor at the same time. Lamar is the only non-playable character that can be part of a hang out trio. This is likely due to the fact that he can't be spooked by a shoot-out which is what a high amount of players like to do when they are hanging out with main other protagonists.
- If Trevor sends a photo of an animal he just hunted to Lamar, Lamar will reply by telling Trevor that he "only smokes homies with two legs!".