- "A Yakuza Kanbu is in custody awaiting transfer for trial. He is a valuable member of the family. Break him out of custody and take him to the Dojo at Bedford Point."
- ― Kenji Kasen
Kenji informs Claude that a high-ranking member of the Yakuza has been arrested by the Liberty City Police Department and that Claude will be breaking him out. Claude takes a police car to 8-Ball's bomb shop, getting the car rigged with a time bomb. Claude drives to the police headquarters and parks the car next to the cells, before detonating the bomb. Claude and Kanbu then steal a police vehicle to escape the police station before changing cars to lose the pursuing police. After losing the police, Claude takes Kanbu to the Hyaku Dojo.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Steal a cop car
- Rig the car with a bomb
- Okay now go to the police station
- Arm the bomb
- Get clear of the car
- You left your honor with the Yakuza Kanbu. You must protect him
- Lose the cops
- Now get him back to the Yakuza dojo
- Just steal a cop car from the police station itself, as they are all unlocked, and is less likely to attract cops, making the mission substantially easier.
- Because losing the wanted level is required, the Sentinel in the parking lot of the police station of recommended as it's the only civilian car there and it's sturdy enough to make it for a respray.
- However, Claude and Kanbu risk being swarmed by the cops once he was busted out once they enter the lot.
- With a lot of caution, it's possible to bring both the rigged cop car and the sentinel into the station, then just keep the sentinel in sight (otherwise it despawns), and pick up Kanbu once he's free.
The reward for completing the mission is $30,000 and the mission Grand Theft Auto is unlocked.
- The use of police brutality is implied, as sounds of a man being beaten can be heard outside the station, and Kanbu's cell has bloodstains on the wall.
- An unused string in the american.GXT file, "KM1_D", refers to Claude being rewarded by allowing him to obtain two bodyguards from the Hyaku Dojo.
- After the mission, the wall will remain destroyed and will not be repaired for the rest of the game.
- Kanbu (幹部) means executive in Japanese.