- "Everyone wants to pay homage to a dying legend, everyone wants the glamour of a bygone age."
- ―Jon Gravelli
Jon Gravelli (1923 - 2008) was a character in Grand Theft Auto series that appears as a main character in Grand Theft Auto IV. He was a crime boss in Liberty City, head of the Gambetti Family and soon became the most powerful American Mafia boss in Liberty City. Gravelli was indicted several times, but was never convicted of a single charge, due to his government contacts who protected him.
Early Criminal Career
Jon Gravelli was born in Meadow Hills, Dukes, Liberty City in 1923. His criminal record dates back to 1940, when he was first arrested for possesion of gambling records at only 17 years old. Rigorous criminal activity continued through his twenties, including car theft, attempted murder and bribery, though his LCPD record states that he had never been in prison.
Ancelotti crime family
The boss of the Gambetti Family, Sonny Cangelosi, suddenly died in 1978. Then 55-year old, Jon Gravelli became the crime family successor. Under his great leadership, the Gambetti criminal organization soon became the strongest La Cosa Nostra family in Liberty City. Gravelli also took over the Mafia Commission, which included of the other Liberty City five families. Gravelli had one son who was brought into the Mob lifestyle, Jon Gravelli, Jr., but never became a made-man due to his cocaine addiction and was disowned by his father and all members of the Gambetti crime syndicate. The notorious Ancelotti crime family became an enemy of Gravelli, and the two families were on the street, thirsty for blood. But Gravelli soon stopped the Mob-war. after almost killing Giovanni Ancelotti's uncle and peace was made.
Since 2005, he was a patient in Schottler Medical Center. He was charged with racketeering in 2006 and was awaiting trial - as many other organized crime figures had done, people believed Gravelli was faking his illnesses to avoid trial, but were proven wrong when he stayed hospitalized for his remaining years of his life. Gravelli passed away peacefully in his sleep, prior to standing trial. It also appears after the completion of The Ballad of Gay Tony's storyline.
Sammy Bottino is seen as Gravelli's logical successor, but was reported missing or hiding from authorities as many organized crime members were awaiting trial on several charges. It's unknown who took over as Don of the Gambetti Family in Liberty City.
LCPD Database record
First Name: Jon
Affiliations: Gambetti Crime Syndicate
- 1940 - Possession Gambling Records
- 1942 - Promoting Gambling
- 1942 - Assault
- 1944 - Grand theft Auto
- 1946 - Attempted Murder
- 1949 - Bribery
- 1990 - Racketeering and Murder
- 1992 - Obstruction of Justice
- 2006 - Racketeering
- Head of the Gambetti Crime Syndicate since the death of Sonny Cangelosi in 1978.
- Indicted several times but never convicted of a serious crime.
- Resident of the Schottler Medical Center for the last 3 years due to an allegedly serious illness.
- GTA IV
- He is most likely based on Carlo Gambino, former boss of the Gambino crime family, on which the Gambettis are based, although his name shares similarities with John Gotti. His name is also similar to Gotti informant Sammy "The Bull" Gravano.
- Upon completion of the main storyline in Grand Theft Auto IV, the player can read about Gravelli's death on the Liberty Tree website, under the article "Mob Boss Dies Before Trial".
- If you call Jon Gravelli, it will say that his number is not recognized. Despite this, he can be called after his missions.
- Gravelli is one of the few characters in the GTA series to die of natural causes. Others include Johnny Sindacco.
- It is implied several times that Gravelli brought his illness upon himself to prevent, or at least delay, prosecution.
- Gravelli, Gerald McReary, Elizabeta Torres and the United Liberty Paper Contact are the only major characters in GTA IV who don't appear outside of cutscenes.
- In his artwork, Gravelli wears a blue business suit, but he does not wear it in GTA IV. This is due to the fact that he is hospitalized and wears the hospital issued gowns.
- At 85 years old, Gravelli is the oldest character in the GTA series to give the protagonist missions.
- Appearing in only three mission, Gravelli is the boss with the least appearences in the whole Grand Theft Auto IV trinity.
- Gravelli states that he has known the Ancelottis for 73 years, suggesting that he could've been involved with the mafia since the age of 12.