The Republic of Iraq (Arabic: جمهورية العراق) (Central Kurdish: كۆماری عێراق), commonly known as Iraq is a country in Western Asia encompassing the Mesopotamian alluvial plain, the northwestern end of the Zagros mountain range, and the eastern part of the Syrian Desert. It is mentioned throughout the Grand Theft Auto series.
Iraq borders Syria to the northwest, Turkey to the north, Iran to the east, Jordan to the west, Saudi Arabia to the south and southwest, and Kuwait to the south. Iraq has a narrow section of coastline measuring 58 km (36 mi) on the northern Persian Gulf. The capital city, Baghdad is in the mid-east of the country. Two major rivers, the Tigris and Euphrates, run through the centre of Iraq, flowing from northwest to southeast. These provide Iraq with agriculturally capable land and contrast with the steppe and desert landscape that covers most of Western Asia. There is an autonomous region inside it named "Iraqi Kurdistan".
In the GTA series
Grand Theft Auto III
- Baghdad is mentioned in Thomas Shaw's article.
- The original Ammu-Nation radio advert mentioned former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein and the Gulf War before it was changed to mention Australia instead.
The Lost and Damned
The Ballad of Gay Tony
Grand Theft Auto V
- Merryweather Security operated and is currently operating in the wars in the Middle East. One of them was the Iraq War according to a Bleeter message.
- Clinton probably served in the Gulf War in Iraq.
- After The Paleto Score, Bleeter, @PaletoJeremy, compared Paleto Bay to the war-stricken Iraqi city of Fallujah.
- In a phone conversation with Beverley at the end of the Strangers and Freaks mission Paparazzo - The Meltdown; Franklin Clinton describes his job and services to Beverley as "not exactly Iraq".
- According to Warstock Cache & Carry, the Barracks is stated to be sold in Iraq in the 90s and captured from the Iraqis by the Americans in the 2000s
- The first level of Invade and Persuade II is set in Iraq, although it is called "Middle East" to avoid controversy.