The mission begins as Carl "CJ" Johnson leaves Liberty City via Francis International Airport for Los Santos in 1992 after learning from his brother, Sean "Sweet" Johnson, that their mother, Beverly, is dead.
Upon arriving in Los Santos, Carl takes a taxi, only to be pulled over by a C.R.A.S.H. team led by Officer Frank Tenpenny, with Officers Eddie Pulaski and Jimmy Hernandez assisting. After being carted away in their police car for allegedly carrying drug money, Carl learns that C.R.A.S.H. is framing him for the murder of Officer Ralph Pendelbury, who had only been murdered ten minutes ago (an event depicted during The Introduction). Now blackmailed for a crime he didn't commit, Carl is forced to aid C.R.A.S.H. whenever the need arises, but not before C.R.A.S.H. ditches Carl in an alleyway in Jefferson, Ballas territory.
- Get familiar with the controls, and mount the bicycle.
- Follow the blip on the map to the "CJ" icon, Carl's Mom's House on Grove Street.
After the introductory cinematic scene, CJ begins his first mission. The player will find themself in Jefferson Alley (the territory of the Ballas, a rival gang), with $350 and no weapons. As there is no immediate danger to CJ's safety, it's advisable for the player to take a few moments to familiarize themself with the controls, the pause options, and the Radar. Once comfortable, mount the BMX with the blue cone marker hovering over it.
Pedaling your way home
Follow the roads to "CJ" icon on the map. It is southeast of the starting location. It is advisable to read the bicycling tips that pop-up as the player rides, especially if this is their first time playing this mission.
Optionally, before heading for the map icon, the player can take a detour for extra items. After mounting the bike, leave the alley and go around the corner on the left to the red building, Jefferson Motel. Climb the stairs to find a MP5 on the roof. Continue on the way to the map icon, but look beneath the bridge overpass near Carl's Mom's House for Armour and a Micro SMG. There's also a Pistol in a back-yard nearby and a Tec-9 on Sweet's house roof.
Enter the Grove Street cul-de-sac, and walk into the round red mission marker to complete this mission and begin Big Smoke (Mission).
- The mission is one of two in the game where a non-motorized vehicle plays a crucial role in the main storyline, the other being "Sweet & Kendl".
- In the PC version, if the host computer is not running around 25-30 frames per second, Tenpenny will drive on before the train has finished crossing, causing the car to pass through the train.
- The police car driven by Tenpenny in the cutscenes is not the same model as regular LSPD police cars. In the PC version, the car does not have specular reflection, causing it to look much darker than normal LSPD police cars.
!PC Version |- ! | |}