- "Diaz, huh? Apparently that angry midget runs this madhouse. Let's see what that creep has to do with things..."
- — Tommy Vercetti
Guardian Angels is a mission in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City given to protagonist Tommy Vercetti by retired army colonel Juan Cortez from his yacht docked in Ocean Bay Marina in Washington Beach, Vice City.
Cortez' good friend Ricardo Diaz has a deal to close with the Cubans, but he could use some extra security. So Cortez wants Tommy to protect him, Cortez has set up some special firepower for the meeting in the Washington Beach multi-story car park.
Drive to the multi-story car park in Ocean Beach and grab the Ruger set up there for Tommy. Seconds later Lance Vance arrives, Tommy tells Lance to come along to which he agrees. Now drive Lance to the meet in an alley in Ocean Beach. Upon arriving, Ricardo Diaz will arrive as well, along with his bodyguards. Ricardo will then tell Tommy to get a good vantage point.
Take the nearby stairs up to a platform and wait for the Cubans to arrive. Some time after they do, several cars will arrive in succession, two Voodoos, a Van, another Voodoo, and finally a Burrito. They all bring Haitians who attack the men present in the deal. Protect the men by killing the Haitians. Throughout the ordeal, check on Lance who is on the platform across Tommy as he will get attacked every once in a while: if he gets killed, the mission will end in failure.
After the last Haitian is done with, two last Haitians will appear riding Sanchez'; they will take Diaz' money, but one of them will get killed by Lance. Get one of the Uzis that the dead Haitians drop and then get on the dead guy's bike and chase the other guy. The objective in this section is to kill the Haitian, do it in any way, as long as he doesn't escape, except by making his bike explode while he is riding it: this torches the money, failing the mission.
Once he is killed, grab the briefcase he drops with Diaz' money in it and go back to where Diaz is, give him the money, and the mission is complete.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Go to the multistory carpark and pick up the Ruger.
- Go with Lance to the drop off and watch over Diaz.
- Haitians! They're busting the deal! Protect Diaz.
- Grab the bike, chase him down and get Diaz's money back.
- Collect the briefcase and take it back to Diaz.
Post mission phone call
Ricardo Diaz: Tommy, is Ricardo Diaz, I want to thank you for looking out for me my man. I ask that prick Cortez, he say you the real deal, my friend, why you not come see me. I need a guy like you. All I have now is dickheads, dickheads everywhere, yo. I make you really rich.
- Diaz' Admiral is bullet, fire, explosion, and damage proof. (Its tires can still be popped by gunfire or spikes.) The player can obtain it by failing the mission by killing Diaz, his men, the Cubans (to break up the deal), or Lance, and then stealing it. The car can be obtained without failing the mission by quickly running to the direction Diaz left. The vehicle will be there with all its properties untouched. This Admiral also has a unique shade of light grey.
- Occasionally, after failing the mission and obtaining the Admiral, it will revert to normal for an unknown reason, thus becoming vulnerable to any type of damage.
- During the part where Tommy has to retrieve stolen money. The word "Haitian" is censored from Diaz's dialogue in the "Haitian friendly" version of the game.
- If the player hits the final Haitian off his bike and destroy the bike while he's off, he will have no programming other than to stand still and await his fate.
- This mission does not explain how Lance knew the Kruger would be stashed in the parking garage; however, it is assumed that he followed Tommy and appears after Tommy equips the weapon.
- Lance mentioned that he'll be watching Tommy on their first encounter, and may decide to join the action instead of letting Tommy "hogging it all", judging by his speech during the cutscene.
- When the Haitian on the bike is killed, a sniper sound is heard, even though nobody uses sniper rifles in this mission, only Rugers and Uzis. Probably Lance carried one and just switched to it to kill the Haitian, given that his position is not safe enough to hold the sniper rifle all the time.
- However, killing him does not drop one, indicating a possible developer's oversight.
- It may be done for dramatic sound effect for when the Haitian is killed.
- The Ruger must be picked to proceed through this mission and thus will replace the M4 if Tommy has one - however, it is possible to use the M4 by dropping it at the Leaf Link Golf Club (Must complete Avery's mission first), get the Ruger then drive over there to get back the M4.
- It is also possible to get into the InterGlobal Studios in Prawn Island via a unique stunt jump, grab the M4, and get back out. To avoid having to use the Packer in the studio as a ramp outside the closed gates, using a motorbike is recommended.
- Furthermore, the player can get as much ammunition for the assault rifle as they want, by failing the mission after picking up the rifle.