Beginning at Davis Avenue in the northwest, with exits north to Brouge Avenue and an un-named northern street and ending in a cul-de-sac in the southeast, Grove Street is occupied by the Original Covenant Ballas. The street runs parallel to a section of the Los Santos Storm Drain, and is close to the Maze Bank Arena. A vehicle garage is located at the end of this street, which can be purchased by Franklin Clinton. The area is somewhat deprived and has high levels of crime activity, with police helicopters often seen patrolling the area from the sky.
Contrary to the separation of the universe renditions, reference is made in Grand Theft Auto V to the street's prior appearance in the 3D Universe in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. According to Lamar Davis, most of the Grove Street Families OGs eventually moved on with their lives, and possibly became rich. Grove Street retains a legendary and almost mythical reputation among some residents of Los Santos, such as Jimmy De Santa, due to "events in the nineties" as Franklin Clinton puts it when hanging out with Jimmy. Ballas members may also be heard shouting "The Families were kicked out ages ago".
Events of Grand Theft Auto Online in 2013
At some point in mid-2013, Lamar Davis has a plan to cause a turf war between the Vagos and the Ballas, so he hires the GTA Online Protagonist and their associates to meet him at Benny's Original Motor Works. Once they are there, Lamar goes into more detail about his plan. Soon after, they are tasked with using a customized Moonbeam to drive to several gang turfs and clear them out of their respective gang, including some Ballas hanging around Grove Street.
Events of Grand Theft Auto V
In 2013, Trevor Philips, Franklin Clinton, Lamar Davis, and his dog Chop arrive at Grove Street to conduct a drug deal with a Ballas gangster. Trevor becomes suspicious and asks to inspect the other side of the cocaine brick, and the Balla refuses. Trevor ends up pulling the brick apart while struggling over it with the dealer and discovers that the brick was actually an ounce of cocaine packaged around with nearly a kilogram of drywall filler. A three-way firefight between Trevor, Franklin, Lamar, the Ballas and the LSPD ensues. Eventually, the trio manages to fight their way out of Grove Street and escape through the nearby river.
Events of Grand Theft Auto Online
In 2018, after the GTA Online Protagonist acquires a Nightclub, English Dave will eventually call them stating that the club DJ's friends have been kidnapped. The player is required to travel to their location, which could be Grove Street, take out the Ballas and return the friends to the club.
Los Santos Tuners
By 2021, the GTA Online Protagonist is working with contracts alongside KDJ and Sessanta. In one of the contracts, The Prison Contract, Sessanta will tell them that they will need an inside man to identify the targets inside Bolingbroke Penitentiary for the client. Sessanta then tells the player to meet her cousin, Lil' Dee, who will agree to working for them once the player drives him to a gang hideout, which could be a Ballas hideout located in Grove Street, and eventually helps him escape or kills the pursuing gang members.
Grand Theft Auto V
Grand Theft Auto Online
Los Santos Tuners
- Planning Work: Inside Man (One of the possible gang hideouts)
- LTD Gasoline (accessible interior, corner of Davis Avenue)
- Grove Street Garage aka Auto Fix Factory.
- An un-named closed down business at the corner of the unnamed street.
Grand Theft Auto V
- A letter scrap can be found in the back garden of a house in the cul-de-sac.
- An SMG can be found in the backyard of a house.
In GTA V and GTA Online, pre-modified Gang versions of the Manana, Peyote, Buccaneer and Tornado painted in Ballas colors can spawn parked at the end of the cul-de-sac, and will sometimes be entered and driven away when approached. Non-affiliated pre-modified versions of the same cars can spawn in a driveway further up the street on the south side.
Grove Street is most likely based on Spruce Street in Compton because of the cul-de-sac, the tree related name, the proximity to the city's river (in a separate location of the street), and that the Ballas occupy the area. In real-life, the Tree Top Piru set of the Bloods occupy the street.
- During the mission Hood Safari, when the player approaches Grove Street, three men on bicycles can be seen riding away. The three men resemble Carl Johnson, Big Smoke and Ryder. This is a reference to the mission Sweet & Kendl in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, in which CJ, Smoke and Ryder escape the pursuing Ballas on bikes.
- Although not meant to be a direct copy of the 3D Universe rendition, the HD Universe Grove Street does have some similarities:
- Both end in cul-de-sacs.
- Both are deep in gang territory.
- Both are located adjacent to commercial areas.
- Both are close to large stadiums.
- Both are adjacent to the Los Santos River (a.k.a. Los Santos Storm Drain).