Gripped! is a side mission in Grand Theft Auto III. It is the fourth and final off-road checkpoint mission encountered by the player. It is triggered by entering a Patriot which is in a park accessed from picnic place near Wichita Gardens in Shoreside Vale. It is similar to Patriot Playground.
This is the hardest side mission of GTA III, but don't be discouraged, the hardest part is at the start, which means the player can replay it quicker should they fail. If the car is intact after a failed attempt, just park it near the start, get out, and get in, the mission will restart.
Drive to a small hill in the south for first checkpoint. Return to the start, approach the second checkpoint from north, if the player tries to climb the cliff from first checkpoint, the mission will be failed.
Now the hardest part begins. Checkpoint three, four and five are located on the steep cliff under Cedar Grove. Just press down the accelerator and hope that the car will make it. Also, try a different approach with an angle. This part takes several tries.
Go north, pick up the eighth along the road, don't let Colombians bust Claude.
For the last checkpoint, let the car fall off from the east side of the closed tunnel. It'll land on the checkpoint on the roof of the tunnel and the player will win.
- Luckily, the park is just down the road from your Shoreside's safehouse, so if you fail the mission and reload the game, you will drive only a short distance to activate it again.
- The true beauty of the Patriot is not the acceleration in its engine, but its grip in vertical surfaces. If you are struggling in the steep cliffs and feel like the vehicle will fall down, drive backwards and to the side, somehow the Patriot will retain its grip on the vertical surface and will let you re-position to try once again.
- As in previous off-road missions, drive frontally if you need raw speed to get to one checkpoint, and drive using a diagonal polygonal mound if that's the only way towards a checkpoint above you (but always diagonally forwards, not steering to the side while you advance, or you won't get enough momentum).
- The hardest part of this mission is in the start, where you have to climb a very steep cliff. Once you pass it, the mission becomes slightly easier.
- Slow down while navigating the hills, you don't want the Patriot to flip upside down.
- Slow when approaching the checkpoints at the edge of the cliffs, one bad calculation and you will fall down the cliff. Be extra cautious.
- Always keep your wheels on the ground while in the hills, if you bump too high you risk losing control of your vehicle. Retort to release the accelerator while still moving, that way you won't unnecessarily overpass the manageable speed, and you will still move forwards.
- Leave the checkpoint on top of the entrance to the Upstate Liberty tunnel for last.