- "Set up high in the Vinewood Hills with stunning views of the city, the Galileo Observatory was constructed at the end of the 19th century to make astronomy more accessible to the general public, but mostly now serves as a reminder of what little progress has been made in space exploration in the past 40 years"
- ―GTA V digital manual
The observatory is located in Galileo Park, Vinewood Hills, north of Los Santos, and is accessed from East Galileo Avenue. It is based on the real life Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles, California. It is named after Galileo Galilei, an Italian astronomer, physicist, mathematician, and philosopher, who made great strides in the improvement of the early refracting telescope.
It sits in a fairly central position atop one of the highest points in Vinewood Hills; this naturally commands the observatory with a far reaching view across all of Los Santos, also making it a popular tourist attraction and place of interest in San Andreas. A concrete sculpture can be found in front of the observatory, a replica of the real life Astronomers Monument in front of the Griffith Observatory. The real life Monument also features a depiction of Galileo Galilei, whom the in-game observatory is named after. Backpackers and trippers can be found in the Arthur's Pass Trails, located north of the facility.
Prominent Appearances in Missions
Grand Theft Auto V
Grand Theft Auto Online
- Kill List or Kill List Competitive may start here. A Buzzard Attack Chopper will spawn in the western quarter of the area. 1 to 4 players can participate.
- The Doomsday Scenario
- Heist Prep: Vault Contents
- Monkey Mosaic - On the roof near the dome on the left side (enhanced version only)
- Spaceship Part - In the corner next to where the Monkey Mosaic would be.
- The Los Santos Observatory in Verdant Bluffs, the equivalent of the Griffith Observatory in GTA San Andreas.