|This article or section refers to "enhanced version" content in the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC renditions of Grand Theft Auto V and/or Grand Theft Auto Online, that is absent on the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 versions.
For a complete list of the features of the "enhanced" version of Grand Theft Auto V, please see here.
- "Compete in 19 unique Challenges against your Freemode friends and foes. See who can perform the longest jump, who can drive the farthest without crashing, who can fall the longest distance without dying, who can freefall the farthest before pulling their ‘chute – and many other ways to risk your neck to try and be a top 3 finisher for GTA$ and RP rewards."
- — Description
Freemode Challenges are a series of challenges available in Grand Theft Auto Online as part of the Freemode Events Update. As implied, they are available to play in Freemode lobbies with at least 5 players. With the release of the Los Santos Summer Special update, the minimum player limit was reduced to 3. As with Freemode Events, they occur every 12 minutes (6 in-game hours).
Freemode Challenges, like Freemode Events, alert the player in advance before the challenge begins. On screen instructions will indicate what the player has to do, where the player has to be, and gives them 3 minutes to prepare for each challenge. All valid players are placed onto a leaderboard once the Challenge begins. Those who are valid will be alerted once the mission begins and a top-3 leaderboard appears at the bottom right of HUD, for 1st, 2nd and 3rd positions. The lobby player list becomes purple, headed the Freemode Challenge title, the points system, and a points value beside each player (default to 0). Those who are not actively participating the event will be colored default blue and will lack a point beside their name.
Any requirements or limitations will be pointed out during the event - for example, during challenges involving killing, citizens of Los Santos and Blaine County are not registered as valid kills. Most challenges last 5 minutes and in the last 30 seconds of any challenge the player has gained a point in, the timer will turn red and the Freemode Events Countdown theme will sound.
List of Challenges
|Challenge name(s)||Challenge description||Time limit (minutes)||Spawn vehicles||Rewards|
|Driveby Challenge||Achieve the highest number of driveby kills on players.||5||N/A||$9500|
|Headshot Kills Challenge||Achieve the highest number of headshot kills on players.||5||N/A||$10.650|
|Most Bridges/Fly Under Bridges Challenge||Fly under the most bridges in the time limit.||10||$12.750|
|Sniper Kills Challenge||Achieve the highest number of sniper rifle kills on players.||5||N/A||$7150|
|Highest Speed Challenge||Achieve the highest speed in a land vehicle.||5||N/A||$8750 - $9500|
|Longest Flying Inverted Challenge/Inverted Flying Challenge||Fly upside-down near the ground for the longest distance.||10||$15.750|
|Longest Bail Challenge||Travel the furthest distance when bailing from a land vehicle.||5||N/A||$9150|
|Longest Fall Survived Challenge||Fall the longest distance without dying.||5||N/A||$7250|
|Longest Freefall Challenge||Fall the longest distance with a parachute before opening it.||10||$14.250|
|Longest Jump Challenge||Perform the longest jump in a land vehicle.||5||N/A||$9500 - $10.250|
|Reverse Driving Challenge||Reverse the longest distance without crashing.||5||N/A||$11.000|
|Longest Stoppie Challenge||Perform the longest stoppie on a motorcycle.||5||$8750 - $9900|
|Longest Wheelie Challenge||Perform the longest wheelie on a motorcycle.||5||$8400|
|Low Flying Challenge||Fly low to the ground for the longest distance.||10||$13.500|
|Lowest Parachute Challenge||Open your parachute closest to the ground while freefalling.||10||$11.250|
|Melee Challenge||Achieve the highest number of melee kills on players.||5||N/A||$8750|
|Near Misses Challenge||Perform the most near misses with other vehicles in a land vehicle without crashing.||5||N/A||$8400|
|No Crashes Challenge||Drive the furthest distance in a land vehicle without crashing.||5||N/A||$9500|
|Vehicles Stolen Challenge||Steal the most vehicles.||5||N/A||$8000|
- Challenges involving flying great distance will spawn Mallards and Besras around the map.
- Challenges involving parachuting will spawn Mammatus' and Mavericks around the map.
- Challenges involving motorcycles will spawn PCJ 600s and Sanchezs around the map.
- All challenges involving aircraft last 10 minutes.
If the player dies while gaining a score, they will respawn nearby a random vehicle spawned specially for the mission. This does not apply to the "Longest Wheelie" and "Longest Stoppie" challenges.
These vehicles are still usable after the mission, and the player will not be locked out of the vehicle, however they will enter a "Self Destruct" mode, giving the player 30 seconds to exit and move away from the vehicle before it explodes. During this time, the player is still able to enter and drive/fly the vehicle until it explodes. A bleeping sound from the vehicle will become increasingly faster towards the detonation.
Removed Freemode Challenges
As of the GTA Online: After Hours, the following Freemode Challenges are no longer triggered:
- Melee Kills Challenge
- Drive-by Kills Challenge
Unlike Freemode Events, Freemode Challenges do not have any special nor ambient soundtracks. As mentioned, the Freemode Events 30-second countdown theme (remix of "RG10") will play at the end of any Freemode Challenge if the player engaged in it (gained a point/score).
- In the game files, Freemode Challenges are numbered 0 to 23, indicating an initial number of 24 events, despite there only being 19 in-game. It is likely 5 were cut. As these numbers are simply skipped, it is unknown what the missing challenges were.
- Freemode Challenges and other Freemode Events announced on Rockstar Newswire
- Game Tips on Rockstar Newswire
- Organization Challenges - Similarly structured challenges available for VIPs, Associates, Bodyguards and CEOs of the same organisation, added as part of the Executives and Other Criminals update.
Valid players are:
- Players who are not actively in a Freemode Mission, such as Organization Work or Vehicle Cargo missions.
- Players who did not join after the Freemode Challenge began.
- Players who are not in personal Properties, such as Apartments, Garages, Yachts, Offices and Warehouses - players can still join a challenge if they leave the property while the mission is still available.
- Players who are not in Passive Mode - players can still join a challenge if they disable Passive Mode while the mission is still available.