- "A mix to carry you through the Los Santos freeways at top speed."
- ―GTA V Website
The station is hosted by record producer and DJ Steve Ellison, better known as Flying Lotus. As its name implies, FlyLo FM plays songs performed and/or produced by Flying Lotus himself, although there are other songs on the track list.
- Many notable people from the TV network Adult Swim make cameos on the station. Carl Brutananadilewski from Aqua Teen Hunger Force (voiced by creator Dave Willis) and Tyler, the Creator (host of Loiter Squad) make cameo appearances on the station as guest callers. Hannibal Buress from The Eric Andre Show also appears as FlyLo's street reporter. Flying Lotus has also produced bumper music for the network, which may explain why other Adult Swim hosts and characters appear.
- David Firth, an animator known for various internet shorts and series (Salad Fingers, Burnt Face Man) appears as a disturbed caller who rambles about how he isn't a doctor. This segment appears only in the Enhanced version.
- This is one of the seven radio stations that don't feature commercials or news breaks. The others are WorldWide FM, Soulwax FM, East Los FM, The Lab, Los Santos Underground Radio and iFruit Radio.
- A snippet of "All In" by Flying Lotus can be heard during the transition to "Getting There."
- The song "Shred You to Bits" by The Gaslamp Killer was not credited in the manual, despite it appearing in-game, although it wasn't properly named. The song remained nameless until the Heists Update fixed this issue.
- While the first minute of the song "4 AM (Araabmuzik Remix)" plays, the station actually plays the first part of 4 AM (Adam K. and Soha Remix) at a higher pitch. This may have been used as a way to provide space for Flying Lotus's commentary as there is no intro to the official version of the song.
- Shortly after the initial PS3/360 releases of the game, Flying Lotus did an interview with online entertainment magazine Pitchfork, where he stated he wanted to include 2Pac's "Hail Mary" and Bone Thugs-n-Harmony's "Foe Tha Love Of $" in the initial mix. It was cited however that Rockstar wanted something more akin to his livesets, resulting in the songs either being removed - or never included onto any mix. He had also considered including music from Stereolab, George Dukes, Curtis Mayfield, Portishead, Killah Priest, Ghostface Killah, Weather Report, Actress, The Underachievers, Raekwon, more music from the Brainfeeder label - and in particular, unreleased music from Burial and Aphex Twin. 57 songs in total were considered for the station, and only 21 tracks made it into the final old-gen release.
- Curtis Mayfield ended up making it into the next-gen tracklist, whilst music from Portishead, 2Pac and Bone-Thugs-n-Harmony made it onto Worldwide FM and West Coast Classics respectively. The next-gen tracklist also featured more Brainfeeder signed artists, such as Lapalux, Mono/Poly and The Gaslamp Killer. Krayzie Bone of Bone Thugs-n-Harmony also ended up appearing on the Flying Lotus song "Meditation Medication", featured in the next-gen tracklist.