|For the school in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, see Pilot School.|
- "To learn highly technical aerial maneuvers - or just how to land without killing yourself in a ball of fire - visit the Flight School at Los Santos International Airport."
- — GTA V Digital Manual
Located on Exceptionalists Way at the Los Santos International Airport in Los Santos, San Andreas. In Story Mode, it becomes available after the mission Friends Reunited. In GTA Online, it becomes available after the player downloads The San Andreas Flight School Update and is at least rank 6.
In Grand Theft Auto V, only Michael and Franklin need to take lessons to increase their flying skills, unlike Trevor who is already an expert pilot. Trevor will tell Michael to attend the school if his flying skill is not high enough(If offshore approach chosen for The Merryweather Heist) Note that Michael is not required to go to Flight School in order to initiate the heist, however the training is generally helpful.
Like the Pilot School in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, the player will learn to fly airplanes, helicopters, and to perform skydiving. There are 12 lessons in total and for each one the player will be awarded with a different medal (gold, silver, or bronze), depending on how well the player completes the lesson. Mission failure will occur if the player crashes the aircraft, strays too far away from the course and enters an out-of-bounds area, or takes too long to complete the lesson. Unlike missions, these exercises do not have checkpoints or the skip option (after failing 3 times). Nor do they offer any monetary rewards.
In Grand Theft Auto Online, the flight school consists of 10 solo lessons that include combat maneuvering, low-flying challenges, formation flying, a parachuting course, and more. The player will unlock the Elitas T-shirt after completing all 10 lessons with at least a bronze medal, and will earn $18,600 if each lesson is completed with a gold medal. If the player's first completion of each of the 10 lessons earns a gold medal, they will receive a combined maximum total of 13,950 RP and $232,500, making Flight School one of the most potentially lucrative activities available online.
Grand Theft Auto V
The twelve lessons to pass are:
|Training Take Off||Take off and pass through two checkpoints.||Cuban 800||00:32||00:50||01:00|
|Runway Landing||Land safely on the runway.||Cuban 800||00:35||00:55||01:10|
|Inverted Flight||Perform barrel rolls and fly upside down.||Mallard||01:40||02:00||02:20|
|Knife Flight||Fly sideways and maintain altitude with the rudder.||Mallard||00:54||01:15||01:40|
|Flat Hatting||Fly a checkpoint course through the Port of Los Santos and the LSIA maintaining a low altitude.||Mallard||02:15||02:35||03:00|
|Touch Down||Land a plane on a bridge in Lago Zancudo as close as the final checkpoint as possible.||Mallard||10 ft||45 ft||Finish|
|Loop the Loop||Perform an inside loop.||Mallard||01:35||01:40||02:05|
|Helicopter Course||Fly through checkpoints in a helicopter through Los Santos.||Frogger||02:40||03:15||03:45|
|Helicopter Speed Run||Fly through checkpoints in a helicopter through the Palomino Highlands and Los Santos as fast as possible.||Frogger||02:10||03:00||03:30|
|Skydiving||Skydive and land on a stationary target.||Parachute||3 ft||10 ft||20 ft|
|Drop Zone||Skydive and land on a moving target.||Parachute||0 ft||7 ft||20 ft|
|Earn Your Wings||Course through the city performing stunts learned in the previous lessons. Green checkpoints are for knife flights and blue checkpoints for inverted flights.||Mallard||02:50||03:15||03:40|
Grand Theft Auto Online
The ten lessons to pass are:
|Outside Loop||Perform two outside loops while following some checkpoints.||P-996 Lazer||00:58||01:20||02:00|
|Engine Failure||Land the plane in Fort Zancudo while the engines are not functional as close as possible to the final checkpoint.||Miljet||10m||30m||Finish|
|Chase Parachute||Jump out of a plane, catch a parachute in midair and land safely on-target.||You start from a Titan's tail and them you need to chase the parachute on your own.||2m||4.50m||7m|
|City Landing||Land a plane on the beach in bad weather conditions and port outer engine lost.||Titan||10m||30m||Finish|
|Moving Landing||Land a Swift on a flatbed trailer before it drives into the tunnel.||Swift||00:19||00:25||01:00|
|Formation Flight||Fly in formation with other jets while remaining some distance.||Besra||600||450||300|
|Shooting Range||Destroy targets using on-board weaponry of a helicopter.||Buzzard Attack Chopper||25||15||10|
|Ground Level||Fly through checkpoints, keeping as close to the ground as possible.||Besra||1m||3m||10m|
|Collect Flags||Fly through 30 checkpoints in any order.||Besra||02:40||03:00||Finish|
|Follow Leader||Follow your instructor.||P-996 Lazer||02:25||02:40||Finish|
|Formation Flight||Cut Flight School lesson from Grand Theft Auto V. It apparently involved flying in formation with AI-controlled Mallards, just like the lesson of the same name later introduced in Grand Theft Auto Online.||Mallard|
|Escort Cargo||Cut Flight School lesson from Grand Theft Auto Online. It apparently involved escorting a Titan to a designated area, likely protecting it from enemy-controlled planes/helicopters along the way.||P-996 Lazer|
- The flight school's logo is a pun on the phrase "on a wing and a prayer", being an image of two hands clasped as if for prayer backed by a pair of wings.
- Currently, the HUD icon only depicts the plane without the ring.
- If you exit the given vehicle during a lesson, it automatically fails.
Grand Theft Auto V
- Although Trevor is a trained pilot due to his military experience, he can still go to the flight school and complete the exercises to reach 100% flying skill faster.
- Despite Trevor's experience, Jackson will still call him a beginner during the lessons, because the dialogue is the same in every lesson.
- Dom Beasley appears in the video introduction of the Skydiving and Drop Zone lessons.
Grand Theft Auto Online
- In Shooting Range, the instructor claims that the Buzzard is equipped with air-to-ground missiles, which contradicts its actual performance, as the Buzzard's missiles are capable of attacking all targets instead of only ground targets.
- In Moving Landing, the image depicts a Swift helicopter landing on the bed of a Flatbed. In the actual mission, the player has to land a Buzzard on the back of a Flatbed Army Trailer.
- Dom Beasley appears in the video introduction of Chase Parachute.
- During Engine Failure, the instructor claims that this course lost a lot of pilots. This is an obvious explanation for the presence of numerous Firetrucks(To extinguish the flames if the plane crashed) and Ambulances(Rescue the pilot if the plane crashed) over the airstrip when landing. Some will tail the player as the plane moves while some others will remain stationary. A quirk: Sometimes those vehicles can crash themselves even when you landed normally.
- Two firetrucks are always seen at the end of the runway.
- There are at least four lessons involving military aircraft not counting the Besra(Trainer) and the Miljet(Military passenger jet).
- Stunt Plane Time Trials, another air-based activity featured in the special/collector's edition (original) and in the enhanced edition.
- Pilot School - 3D Universe counterpart.
- Knife Flights and Under the Bridge, two air-based challenges.