The chain is based on German supermarket chain Lidl. Fidl is also revealed in GTA Vice City Stories to be selling German products with sexually suggestive names.
In 1998, the setting of Liberty City Stories, Fidl has a store in Portland, Liberty City, though it is inaccessible. By 2001, the setting of Grand Theft Auto III, this has been replaced by a Supa Save! store.
In Vice City Stories, set in 1984, Fidl operates three stores in Vice City: two in Little Haiti and one in Washington Beach. These stores are accessible and, like other stores the protagnist can enter, it can be robbed.
List of products (GTA Vice City Stories)
- Bawbags (Scottish slang for testicles)
- Bitch’n’ Dog Food
- Candy Box
- Cocks'n'Schwanzsuppe (German for Cocks'n'Cock Soup)
- Cok O Pops
- Deutsches Pimpernickel (German for German Screw Nickel instead of Deutsches Pumpernickel)
- Dicke fleischige Dinger (German for Big'n'fleshy Things, which refers to cocks)
- Dump Ice Cream Bar
- Fresh Milk
- Matahari Giza
- Moist Rea Lenghts and Poads
- Perversil (instead of Persil, perver ~ Perverser, means perv)
- Rote Regelgrütze (German for Red Period Grout)
- Samenpudding (German for Semen Pudding)
- Scrotum Coffee
- Ungewaschene Käsestangen (German for Unwashed Cheese Straw)
- Fidl is a play on the word fiddle, with "fiddler" being slang for a masturbator.