- "A lesson in business, my friend. If you have a unique commodity, the world and his wife will try to wrestle it from your grasp, even if they have little understanding as to its true value. SWAT Teams have cordoned off the area around my associate and the package. Get over there, pick up the van and act as a decoy. Keep them busy until he should make good his escape."
- ―Donald Love
Decoy is a mission in Grand Theft Auto III given to protagonist Claude by media tycoon and businessman Donald Love from the Love Media building at the Bedford Point district of Staunton Island, Liberty City.
Claude drops by Love Media, looking for more work. Donald tells that SWAT and the police are guarding the Old Oriental Gentleman's location in Pike Creek, Shoreside Vale. Donald wants Claude to get in the van used by the Oriental Gentleman and act as a decoy to the police, in order to let the Oriental Gentleman escape.
Claude gets over to the location, already noticing many Police Cars and Enforcers waiting with officers on foot to pounce as soon as the van starts moving. He then gets inside the van, and gets a six-star wanted level as the waiting LCPD vehicles spring their trap and close in. He drives the van away from the warehouse, making the police chase him, with the Oriental Gentleman then having the opportunity to escape.
- Have patience during the mission and focus on the driving. Try not to take too much damage as this will fail the mission.
- If the police are ramming you with PIT maneuvers, release the accelerator and focus on steering to keep your handling. The Securicar has good weight which will help you to resist the police charges and mantain your balance.
- Don't head for a Pay 'n' Spray! It can't be used in this mission, the same happens with bribes, you'll have to withstand the police onslaught.
- This mission is hardest if you had 6 wanted stars before entering the Securicar, as tanks will chase you. Don't start this mission if you have 6 wanted stars.
- Another method: once the player gets inside the van, head straight to the airport, as not many cops will spawn there. Just drive around until time's up.
- Another method: head straight for one of the player's hideouts (Shoreside Vale is the best option) and hide in there until the timer runs out. For some reason, the player is invisible to the Police or the Army.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Get over to Pike Creek and get in the decoy van
- Now lead the cops away from the warehouse
- When the player has a five-star or six-star wanted level during the mission before entering the Securicar, only Police Cars and Enforcers will spawn chasing Claude, while the FBI Cars and Barracks OLs will form the roadblocks. If the player has evaded the six-star wanted level before entering the Securicar and then enter it, the army will take over the LCPD with Barracks OLs and Rhinos, making the mission much harder. (Tested on PC & Android)
- Pay 'n' Sprays and police bribes will not reduce the wanted level in this mission. This is even true for "Clear Wanted Level" cheat, as if the player types it when the six-star wanted level is triggered, it will not be cleared at all.
- The LCPD Dispatcher makes a specific alert during this mission upon entering the Securicar: "All units be on the lookout for the security car in the Pike Creek area. Suspect is armed and dangerous."
- This is the only mission in the 3D era which gives the protagonist a six-star wanted level and the only one until Prologue in GTA V where the maximum wanted level is automatically attained.