- "A lesson in business, my friend. If you have a unique commodity, the world and his wife will try to wrestle it from your grasp, even if they have little understanding as to its true value. SWAT Teams have cordoned off the area around my associate and the package. Get over there, pick up the van and act as a decoy. Keep them busy until he should make good his escape."
- ―Donald Love
Decoy is a mission in Grand Theft Auto III given to protagonist Claude by media tycoon and businessman Donald Love from the Love Media building at the Bedford Point district of Staunton Island, Liberty City.
Claude drops by Love Media, looking for more work. Donald tells that SWAT and the police are guarding the Old Oriental Gentleman's location in Pike Creek, Shoreside Vale. Donald wants Claude to get in the van used by the Oriental Gentleman and act as a decoy to the police, in order to let the Oriental Gentleman escape.
Claude gets over to the location, already noticing many Police Cars and Enforcers waiting with officers on foot to pounce as soon as the van starts moving. He then gets inside the van, and gets a six-star wanted level as the waiting LCPD vehicles spring their trap and close in. He drives the van away from the warehouse, making the police chase him, with the Oriental Gentleman then having the opportunity to escape.
- Have patience during the mission and focus on the driving. Try not to take too much damage as this will fail the mission.
- If the police are ramming you with PIT maneuvers, release the accelerator and focus on steering to keep your handling. The Securicar has good weight which will help you to resist the police charges and maintain your balance.
- Don't head for a Pay 'n' Spray! Though they can be used to repair the vehicle, the 6 wanted stars will return and will cause the army to pursue you. Police Bribes are also ineffective.
- This mission is hardest if you had 6 stars before entering the Securicar, as Rhinos will chase you. Don't start this mission if you have 6 stars.
- Another method: once the player gets inside the van, head straight to the airport, as not many cops will spawn there. Just drive around its wide open spaces until the time's up.
- Another method: head straight for one of the player's hideouts (Shoreside Vale is the best option) and hide in there until the timer runs out. For some reason, the player is invisible to the police or the army.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Get over to Pike Creek and get in the decoy van
- Now lead the cops away from the warehouse
- When the player has a five-star or six-star wanted level during the mission before entering the Securicar, only Police Cars and Enforcers will spawn chasing Claude, while the FBI Cars and Barracks OLs will form the roadblocks. If the player has evaded the wanted level before entering the Securicar and then enters it, the army will take over the LCPD with Barracks OLs and Rhinos, making the mission much harder. (Tested on PC & Android)
- Pay 'n' Sprays and police bribes will not reduce the wanted level in this mission.
- The LCPD Dispatcher makes a specific alert during this mission upon entering the Securicar: "All units be on lookout for Securicar in Pike Creek area, suspect is armed and dangerous."
- Decoy and Freedom Flies are the only missions in the 3D era which give the protagonist a six-star wanted level, and the only ones until Prologue in GTA V where the maximum wanted level is automatically attained.