The People's Republic of China is the most populous state in the world. Located in East Asia, it is a single-party state governed by the Communist Party of China (CPC). It is the third largest country in the world. Its capital is Beijing, and it is bordered by Russia and Mongolia to the north, Vietnam, Laos, and Myanmar (Burma) to the south, India to the west and North Korea to the east.
The Grand Theft Auto series was unofficially banned in China prior to 2015 due to the country's console gaming ban, which lead to Grand Theft Auto games (as well as anything else related to gaming) being pirated on China's black markets. Since 2015, the Grand Theft Auto series has enjoyed no restrictions in being sold in the country, and China has emerged as a market for the gaming industry overall.
There are a few references to the country in the GTA Series. Many gangs or characters from China appear in the games.
References in the GTA Series
- The Triads gang appear in Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories. They are also mentioned in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.
- Wu Zi Mu, Ran Fa Li, Guppy, Katie Zhan and Su Xi Mu are Chinese.
- Nick Kong, the member of the European Gang, is Chinese.
- An advertisement for Push-Up - The Movie claims the push-up contest in the film is being held in "Tokyo, China", even though Tokyo is in Japan.
- The Triads play a major role in Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars.
- Three Triad gangs operate in Liberty City.
- Huang Lee, the protagonist of Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, is Chinese.
- Wu Lee, Hsin Jaoming, Hao, Chan Jaoming, Zhou Ming, Ling Shan, Xin Shan, Phil Bacerra are Chinese.
- The Los Santos Triads operate in Los Santos and Blaine County.
- Wei Cheng, Tao Cheng, his translator, Eddie Toh are Chinese.
- Sinowav FM plays traditional Chinese music.
- The Assault Rifle and Bullpup Rifle in GTA V are made in China.
- According to a Weazel News report, Los Santos was named the most polluted city of 2013, ahead of Beijing.
- The Tour Bus in GTA V has a decal of a Chinese flag.
- Upper-class Chinese females appear around the city, but most commonly in Portola Drive, Rockford Hills and rarely Vinewood. When you pull them out of their cars, they may shout in Mandarin with saying such as "不敢相信!" (I can't believe this!) or "我的天啊!" (Oh my God!).
- Similarly, some joggers, yogis and motocross drivers in the game are of Chinese descent. While they normal speak in English, they will curse in Mandarin when angered.
- During one section of Chakra Attack, Ray De Angelo Harris believes he visited Tibet for a spiritual journey, which actually turns out to be Wales.
- The banking company Whan-Q Bank is Chinese.